First Purple Emperor!!

CJB

First Purple Emperor!!

Post by CJB »

Hello UKB'ers,
I took the opportunity to stay out of the office today and headed for Bookham Common down the A3, with the small possibility of seeing my first PE.
I think you can probably guess from the title that I succeeded; really amazing! I parked in the Tunnel car park and just wandered off into the woods.
Having seen Large and Small Skippers (can someone confirm?), SWF's, Comma, MB's, Ringlets, Red Admiral, Small White, the trip was a success before walking more than 10 metres.
I had been bumbling along for about 45 mins when I saw two people bedecked with oodles of photographic equipment standing in the middle of a gravelled path and there was my first PE. :D :D :D :D
True to form it was perched on a large piece of sh...mud, which tended to take the edge off the scene, but it was one I was prepared to overlook.
I took out the mobile (!!) and clicked away; you can't quite believe that we have anything like this in the UK until you see it for yourself, it is like something out of a tropical jungle.
Mission accomplished and frankly it has made my year. I then wondered round the corner and saw a few white admirals, out of which one was a happy poser.
I also saw my first gatekeepers off the year, who were very elusive and a beaten up speckled wood, bringing the tally to 11 species; happy days! :D
I also took pictures of a ringlet which has 3 spots on the upper wing (unusual?). Please can someone identify the moth.
I hope the pictures do some justice to 'his purpleness'.
Flutter on!
CJB
Attachments
3 spot Ringlet.jpg
3 spot Ringlet.jpg (30 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
Small Skipper.jpg
Small Skipper.jpg (26.49 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
Unknown Merth.jpg
Unknown Merth.jpg (21.52 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
Purple Emperor.jpg
Purple Emperor.jpg (27.03 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
White Admiral.jpg
White Admiral.jpg (30.46 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
Comma.jpg
Comma.jpg (27.12 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
Large Skipper.jpg
Large Skipper.jpg (26.75 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
SWF.jpg
SWF.jpg (24.88 KiB) Viewed 2476 times
ChrisC

Re: First Purple Emperor!!

Post by ChrisC »

cracking shot with a mobile phone too. well done. still on my to see list.

Chris
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Wow! that topside is a stunner - congratulations. I still remember the buzz when I first saw one - i was 'walking on air' for the rest of the day. I see that H.I.M. is enjoying his favourite environment. I used to joke that I was a 'poo photographer' and why do these damn butterflies keep getting in the way!

Mike
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thanks Chris.
Can't quite believe I saw it. If you are anywhere near Bookham, it is really worth a visit: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q= ... n&ie=UTF-8
That brings my tally to 40 species on the mobile and my next targets are the hairstreaks; I have only seen a greenie so far.
Flutter on!
CJB
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Excellent photo of the PE CJB, congratulations.

All the best, Nick.
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thanks for your comments Mike and Nick.
It did feel slightly strange leaning down right next to a fresh Mr Whippy! :lol:
Could either of you identify the moth and the skipper?
Flutter on!
CJB
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

moth is rosy footman.

Chris
David M

Post by David M »

Great feeling, isn't it?

I'm pretty glad that's not a close up as what He's feasting on looks truly dreadful! :D
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Mike referring to CJB, Purple Emperor
Wow! that topside is a stunner - congratulations.
I agree. And I might add, a top quality t-rd to boot :twisted: Did the butterfly subsequently land on anyone after enjoying its feast? :P

Jack
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thank you for the moth id and all the kind comments.

Can anyone confirm whether the skipper is a small or essex? Plus confirm whether 3 spots on the ringlet upper wing is the norm or not; very demanding, I know.

His Purpleness disappeared back into the treetops after his chocolate mousse, without using anyone's clothes as a napkin, fortunately.

Flutter on!

CJB
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi CJB,
Congratulations on the PE - very nice.
ChrisC is correct - Rosy Footman.
Skipper is Essex.
Nothing irregular about your Ringlet.
Neil
CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Neil,
Thanks for your comments and answers; seriously chuffed with the PE.
I wondered if that might be an Essex, due to the black on the antennae but I normally guess!
All the other ringlets I found had two spots on the upper wing, hence I was puzzled!
Flutter on!
CJB
CJB

Post by CJB »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Nothing irregular about your Ringlet.
I have just looked it up and the females have 3 spots on the upper wing as opposed to the males who have 2; according to the butterfly app and not me! :wink:
David M wrote:Great feeling, isn't it?
Certainly is! David.

Flutter on!

CJB
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi CJB,
Although the far antenna does appear to be black on the underside (seen here from the side), the key feature is the relatively short and straight sex brand, the rear limit of which does not extend beyond half-way along the forewing margin (it extends further than half-way in Small).
Neil
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thanks Neil,
I don't know what the 'sex brand' refers to but am keen to learn for the next time.
Flutter on!
CJB
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Well done CJB great shot on your mobile :D
I can assure you it will be a moment that will stay with you for along time - it has for me and the beauty of this creature has me waiting all year for that flash of purple. None on the ground for me this year, yet. BUT had two fly around me at Alice Holt today :D :D - watching this magnificent butterfly glide in a circle around you flashing purple and angry orange eyes praying that it will land with your heart thumping is something that I look forward to every year. Good luck with your quest - you have got one of this years more difficult ones :D Mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thanks Mark.
I really didn't think I would see one and had there not been a couple of people standing around, who knows!
I know there are UKB'ers who are getting some amazing shots with their cameras, but there is something satisfying about clicking away on the mobile!
I hope you manage to photograph your PE this year. I am now in the hunt for hairstreaks.......
Flutter on!
CJB
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi CJB,
The sex brand is the dark line on the forewing - present in males only. Here's a shot of a Small Skipper, showing how the longer sex brand (the front of which curves away from the leading edge of the forewing towards the body; being sinuous rather than straight) extends backwards more than half-way along the wing margin.
Neil
Small Skipper sex brand.jpg
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thank you again Neil!
I will now keep an eye out for it!
Flutter on!
CJB
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor