Insect Photography

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
JohnR

Insect Photography

Post by JohnR »

Insect Photography. Art and Techniques - John Bebbington
159pp. Paperback. The Crowood Press Ltd., 2012
ISBN 978 1 84797 378 8 £16.99
Bebbington - Insect Phography.jpg
Bebbington - Insect Phography.jpg (21.72 KiB) Viewed 628 times
The book caught my eye because of the photograph on the cover of a “butterfly on a stick.” The picture is of a quality that I have not yet achieved so it was with some anticipation that I dived into its pages.

The book is ideal for the amateur lepidopterist who naturally wants to use his camera to record the insects that he sees. After a well illustrated introduction the first chapter is entitled ‘Photographing Insects with a Compact’ and moves onto SLR cameras. Sections deal with knowing your subject and field craft whilst the remainder of the work is devoted to actual photography and techniques. The captions to the many photographs (seemingly mostly of our own subjects) are the real strong point where they also contain some Exif information, for they show what lens with which settings a professional photographer would use. Some are comparison shots illustrating the use of flash or reflectors whilst others illustrate a few processing software techniques.

The author is without doubt a leader in his field. He is a Fellow of the Royal Photographic Society and teaches insect and flower close-up and macro photography. The book has to become a standard text for anyone interested in entomology and looking to start photographing their subject(s).
dilettante

Re: Insect Photography

Post by dilettante »

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a copy :-)
David M

Post by David M »

Yes, thanks for publicising that. I think I will purchase a copy as well and try to refine a few things before next year.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

I've also just ordered a copy due to your review.
Hope it's as good as it sounds. :)
rikski

Post by rikski »

I bought this book but was a little disappointed
David M

Post by David M »

rikski wrote:I bought this book but was a little disappointed
What was it that you found disappointing, rikski? (I ask because I have this on my 'wanted' list).

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”