New Member Ahoy!

Discussion forum for any relevant news not covered in one of the other forums.
CJB

New Member Ahoy!

Post by CJB »

Good morning All UK Butterfliers,
I have been an avid follower of this website for a year or so and have finally taken the plunge to join in and post some photos. I live in London and drive a desk most days, so reading your posts is a combination of escapism and torture.
However, I do get the odd chance to go out and fin our fluttery friends. I have a (bizarre) mission to capture all the UK species on my mobile telephone; an odd decision as it means invariably that the quality is not great, but there you go!
I have, so far taken pictures of 38 species, including 4 new ones for me at Cerne Abbas on the weekend of 19/20 May when I saw Grizzlies, Dingies, 1 MF (couldn't believe it) and a DoB. I was itching to post this news, particularly of the MF and due to poor IT skills and having only just realised that my registration had been accepted, I have only managed to do so now.
My crowning glory in terms of species was also one of the first and worst piccies taken, but was a Monarch! I took it in Regents park at the zoo; before anyone points out the obvious, I immediately checked with the keeper in charge of their butterfly display and he confirmed that they had no monarchs, either escaped or otherwise. Here is the POOR photo, plus because Wurzel makes me chuckle with his quest for GHS, here is my photo taken in Cornwall, two years ago.
I look forward to reading all your reports and keeping up to speed with your photographic exploits.
Flutter on.
CJB
Attachments
Marsh Fritillary.jpg
Green Hairstreak.jpg
Monarch2.jpg
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: New Member Ahoy!

Post by Wurzel »

I'm glad that my pain, suffering and mental anguish makes you chuckle! :lol:
I like your sign off: "flutter on" has a good ring to it... :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thank you Wurzel!
I was beginning to feel invisible!
I wasn't quite as sadistic as that! I am very green of your S/PBF's!
I am surprised that noone has commented on the monarch!?
Got to start the engine on my desk again.
Flutter on!
CJB
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Firstly welcome from me to. (i am newish, but they are a friendly bunch)

Wurzel - I still have the majority of butterflies to discover and photograph; I am also keen to find the GHS :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :) :) :)

Debbie
CJB

Post by CJB »

Well thank you, Debbie!
My GHS was a complete fluke as it landed right next to me on a pathway and sat watching me without flinching for a number of minutes.
I hasten to add that I haven't seen another one since; in fact the hairstreaks are a definite hole in my species list and have thus far evaded me.
Still no comments on the Monarch?! I get the feeling noone believes me.
Flutter on!
CJB
David M

Post by David M »

Welcome, CJB......and well done on the Monarch shot.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Welcome CJB!

It must have been incredibly exciting seeing a monarch in London. They are magnificent butterflies and the few I've had the pleasure to see (in America, Gibraltar and Morocco) have been very memorable. The problem is, the species is sold for release at weddings, funerals, christenings &c. and in the middle of London, surrounded by 8 million urbanites who might be gulled into this kind of vulgarity, the sighting might well be of a captive-bred individual. That doesn't diminish the butterfly but it does diminish the potential importance of the sighting.

That said, it could, of course, be a genuine immigrant...

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thank you Guy and David M, for the welcome and the potential explanation of the Monarch; sniff! :cry:
It was still an extraordinary thing to see and I expect you are spot on; who knows?!
I read all your posts with interest and am a mere yellow belt to your black-belt 2 dan!
Flutter on!
CB
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

It's origin doesn't really matter... Monarch is an awesome butterfly anywhere isn't it! You don't say if it was this or last year, but judging by the buddliea presumably last.... was it that that sparked your project?... if so, then great!!.... you've chosen a pretty special one to everyone here. Welcome! :D

PS.... I bet you'll have a Canon before long :wink: :lol:
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thank you Reverdin!
I have always been a part-time birder and butterflies were the logical next step.
The Monarch was actually 4 years ago and as you say, that gave me the idea for the quirky project.
I too have a feeling that I will end up with a Canon soon, but some of the shots taken with a macro on the phone are not too shabby!
Always room for improvement though!
Flutter on!
CJB
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

CJB wrote:I too have a feeling that I will end up with a Canon soon
What's wrong with Nikon then? :D It's always interesting to impose some personal discipline, however quirky, and your mobile phone plan is interesting, especially as this is way our 'culture' currently records the world we live in. I expect mobile pics show their limitations, if you want to enlarge the images or view the finer details.

Good luck with your plan.

Mike
CJB

Post by CJB »

Hi Mike,
Good to hear from you as well. I have no preference on the camera make, but have looked on and off.
I cannot help but think I have made a rod for my own back with this project, but unfortunately I am as stubborn as a mule and will keep going! Some of the pictures do blow up nicely, although not to poster size and I am aware that they are nothing like as good as the majority of the photos posted on this site. I have followed Wurzel's pictures with interest since he upgraded and admit there is a pang of jealousy :mrgreen: and can't wait to see his reaction when he finally snaps the elusive GHS! :lol:
Flutter on!
CJB
Attachments
Duke of Burgundy.jpg
Glanville Fritillary.jpg
Small Heath.jpg
CJB

Post by CJB »

Hello UKB'ers,
As ever, driving my desk in London, bracing myself for the Olympic Lanes appearing all over London and more importantly, enjoying reading your various posts; :mrgreen:
I managed to snaffle 2 hours for a walk on Sunday near Warminster and saw: Peacock, Red Admiral, Meadow Brown, Marbled White and Ringlet. I have never seen so many Ringlets and they have clearly survived the conditions better than others who were notable by their absence. I took some pictures with my mobile (as per usual) and was particularly pleased to see the Marbled Whites although numbers were significantly down on last year in the same spot (secret,sorry).
Is the one in my photos M or F?
Still no hairstreaks or PE's which are at the top of my wish list; sniff!
Flutter on!
CJB
Attachments
Marbled White.jpg
Marbled White.jpg (33.02 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
Marbled Closed.jpg
Marbled Closed.jpg (29.38 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
Ringlet.jpg
Ringlet.jpg (26.34 KiB) Viewed 2975 times
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

CJB wrote:Is the one in my photos M or F?
Your Marbled White is female for the following reasons:

1. short, broad abdomen
2, Yellow costa (leading edge of wing)
3. Pale brown underside markings

Mike
CJB

Post by CJB »

Thank you Mike,
Always to good find these things out.
I am going to take a morning off as the weather is conducive; Bookham Common in search of PE.
Wish me luck.
Flutter on!
CJB

Return to “News”