Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Neil. I appreciate I was very lucky to find a mating pair but I was hoping to try to improve the quality of the photos this year. I think that any opportunity is looking less and less likely given the on-going weather situation.

It is worth recording that at 10.30am this morning in Liphook the rain stopped briefly and the sun shone for 4 minutes. It was enough to send me scurrying for my camera for a quick visit to a local site. Despite a lack of sun I set the exposure compensation to -2 (the most under exposure my camera will allow) given that I wanted some detail from the Small Whites on the light coloured flowers. I had resolved to shoot in RAW from now on having read Mike's informative article on the differences between RAW and JPEG. However, I forgot to change the setting so these are still in JPEG.
P1060846d.jpg
On this occasion I did not want the background to be completely blurred as it was just so attractive.
P1060841d.jpg
P1060851d.jpg
I am not sure whether this gesture was intended for me or the other butterfly that I was just too slow to get in the shot!
P1060840d.jpg
Another messy eater.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I think I might have mentioned that I love Hairstreaks so I make no apologies for including so many photos. I haven't even stopped to look at the dozens of photos I took to decide which is my favourite. Some are not quite all in focus. Some show the butterfly close up; others show it more in the context of its environment. I was surprised to see 2 nectaring on ragwort. The photos may or may not be better than the ones I took last year but most of all I was just delighted to see them as I had almost given up hope this year. I saw a maximum of 6 at any one time, 3 males and 3 females. Two of the females were fresh and one was a bit worn. I had hoped for another mating photo but I fear that window of opportunity has passed for this year - perhaps!

(In my excitement I forgot to use the raw setting!).
P1070024d.jpg
P1070079d.jpg
P1070157d.jpg
P1070064d.jpg
P1070140d.jpg
P1070043d.jpg
P1060998d.jpg
P1070105d.jpg
P1070128d.jpg
P1060991d.jpg

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Another nice set of Hairstreak photos, Pauline.

If I had to choose, I would pick P1070105d (8th in your series) because it shows the butterfly well but also conveys the environment without too much distraction - very nicely placed subject!

Mike

Colin Knight

Post by Colin Knight »

good photos as usual Pauline. I gather these WLHs are all from last year. Where were they taken?

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Agreed, a great series of photos.

I have looked them up and down a few times now and each time I look I pick a different favourite. I think that is how I will leave it, not being limited by picking one, I like them all :D

Neil F.

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Great photos - they just get better :D

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Pauline, like Neil I'm struggling to pick my fave :D . Were these taken at the secret site?

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Mike for taking the trouble to look closely. consider and express a preference.

The photos were taken yesterday Colin - thank you for your comment. It is a small, fragile site and as is usual in such situations details of location are not provided. I am mindful of the situation a few years ago when I discovered 2nd brood DoB at Noar Hill, which, although is a much bigger site, was effectively trampled.

Thank you Neil. I know some of these photos are not technically perfect but on this occasion I don't really care as I was just so pleased to see them. I, too, like them all.

Your comments are always appreciated Mark. Looking forward to meeting up with you sometime soon.

Thank you Wurzel - I apprecaite your comments and the answer is yes.

Whilst out and about yesterday I took photos of a number of different butterflies and have included a couple below. I think I prefer the background in the first photo as it seems to complement the butterflies and is not such a harsh contrast:
P1060970d.jpg
P1060947d.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Personally, I like the second shot for its 'impact' The butterflies seem to stand out in an almost three-dimensional way! It brings out vividly the difference in colour between the male and female.

There will always be a range of views on photos, as in all art. Sometimes, I find that a photo I don't like much at first becomes a favourite, or vice versa. I usually like to wait a while before posting anything on my website, for this reason.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Yes, I can see what you mean now Mike. That is probably why I can never decide which ones I like most and end up posting all of them!!!

With the weather the way it is, it is not a case of deciding where to go and what to photograph but more a case of what is available and visible. Taking photos of species which retreat into trees during bad weather is not really an option (my step ladder is not tall enough!!). Today, between showers, I visited my local SSB site again and I was surprised by the sheer numbers. As the rain fell they were like little flags, very prominent at the top of the heather but as soon as the rain ceased their wings opened in the warm, muggy conditions. Some were looking decidely worn but this is a 'late' site and there were others still in reasonable condition. Without even moving my feet I was able to count at least a couple of dozen.

One small step for a butterfly ....
P1070315d.jpg
P1070264d.jpg
Hanging on by a thread...
P1070289d.jpg
P1070359d.jpg
P1070299d.jpg
P1070309d.jpg
I have managed to get SOME detail on the fringes of some of them. I shall blame the light which was poor and bordering on thundery. It is wonderful to be able to blame the weather - the wind, harsh sun, overcast conditions - whatever shall I blame when conditions are perfect? :lol: :lol:

hilary

Post by hilary »

Just spending a rainy afternoon looking at and admiring the photos. I can't judge the technicalities (they all look amazing), but I did notice your 3rd down Hairstreak had a perfect 'Disney' pose!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Hilary. I'm glad you enjoy looking at the photos but I applaud what you are doing which is so much more important. You are making a real effort to improve the environment to the benefit of butterflies and other wildlife. Well done. I enjoy reading your reports.

I am now trying to get to grips with concepts such as focal length and the effect it has on depth of field - another parameter/variable to consider. At the moment I am a little out of my comfort zone, and sensors, lenses and the like are like a foreign language to me but I will get there (with a little help from my friends :D ). I have been taking (some) photos in RAW mode and using elements to do some post-processing. There is a lot of new stuff to absorb, but hopefully by next season ......

Today, between downpours, I just had to have a second bite of the cherry, and in the process got badly bitten myself. I didn't realise mozzies could bite through thick jeans and jumper and I was so engrossed with my camera I didn't realise what was happening until I saw about 6 on me. I have about 3 dozen swollen, painful bites (I have become allergic to them) so I am seriously thinking of asking Jack for some of his kit. Still, it was worth it:
P1070444d.jpg
P1070601d.jpg
P1070676d.jpg
Going for gold:
P1070397d.jpg
P1070578d.jpg
P1070712d.jpg
P1070679d.jpg
Little and large:
P1070489d.jpg
Probiscus just for you Mike :D
P1070531d.jpg
I struggled today with the rapidly changing weather conditions from very bright sunshine indeed to heavy black cloud and torrential downpours - and the butterflies didn't move throughout. I seemed to be forever having to adjust something - either the exposure compensation (quite radically) or the AP setting to increase the shutter speed to deal with the breeze which seemed to accompany the sun. I really hope I am going to get better/faster at this with practice.

Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

MikeOxon wrote:It brings out vividly the difference in colour between the male and female.
Absolutely. One of the best shots I've seen showing the difference in "ground colour".

Cheers,

- Pete

Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Pete. It is good of you to take the time to say so.

Today I managed to fit in a quick visit to the Straits before a doctor's appointment. There was not even a glimpse of a PE which was hardly surprising. What was surprising, especially given recent reports, was the number of SWF together with a lesser number of White Admiral. I counted at least 11 SWF and 5 WA in 3 different areas along the main track, despite it being very overcast, albeit warm and muggy. They were all very active and when they did rest it was in very inaccessible areas, so all photos are taken with maximum zoom. No classic poses today, just snatched action shots.

Both SWF and WA were being very territorial in manner, adoping a threatening posture, even at rest. They seemed poised for the next aerial battle and quivered in anticipation - judging by their condition it would seem that they had already seen some considerable action. I spent a good hour enjoying the spectacle ...... and then the rain started again!
P1070771d.jpg
P1070798b.jpg
P1070811d.jpg
P1070805d.jpg
P1070788d.jpg

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pauline wrote:Today, between downpours, I just had to have a second bite of the cherry,
Please allow me to be a little critical of some of this series! I think there is sometimes a case of 'less is more' and it applies to several of these photo. Including several different critters within one shot can confuse the composition - leading to the question: what is this photo about? Upside-down butterflies never seem to work well, either.

Having said that, the 6th image is a classic WLH shot and I always like to see the uncurled proboscis. The 'going for gold' shot would benefit from a crop - perhaps a vertical format of the butterfly and the flower on which it is feeding. The next one looks as though it is about to be 'clubbed' by a spiked knapweed :shock:

You seem to be seeing quite a lot, despite the downpours - I really should be more adventurous, instead of contemplating rain-streaked windows.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Mike for the constructive criticism. I really do appreciate it. In my excitement at seeing ANY butterfly in this weather I am getting a little gung-ho. I totally agree with you on numbers 1 and 2 - they really aren't up to much. I actually like the last one tho' with the wasp thing peeping over the top. I have to say that it was quite difficult to find them on a flower on their own! I have photos where they are with Small White, Marbled White, Comma and of course the many Meadow Browns as well as a massive variety of insects. I have followed your suggestions and amended a couple of them - the 'club' has gone (in a very amateurish style I'm sure) and number 5 has been cropped (although it shows his 'tails' are out of focus :oops: ). What d'ya think?
P1070578xx.jpg
P1070397xx.jpg
You'd better not look at the last lot Mike (SWF) cos they're pretty mediocre too, but you can be sure of this - if you go out in awful weather you probably won't see much but if you stay in looking at rain streaked windows you definitely won't :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks again for your help.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Pauline wrote:if you stay in looking at rain streaked windows you definitely won't
Words of wisdom, indeed - and, if I got out, I wouldn't turn into a grumpy critic either :)

I like your crops and I like most of your SWFs too! I think you could improve some of those with a bit of cropping as well! I'm afraid I'm always fiddling with my photos - vainly trying to make the proverbial silk purse.....

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Mike. Constructive criticism is always welcome.

Thank you too Pete.

I have learned a few things this week and one of them is that butterflies don't always take shelter up trees at the first hint of bad weather. Take the Hairstreaks earlier - during torrential downpours they carried on nectaring regardless. Similarly today, the SWF - and there are a good number of them at the Straits now, both male and female - totally disregarded the rain. The females stayed low on bramble, wings outstretched. The males stopped nectaring but took up their 'guard' positions at the ends of low branches on bushes. As the rain became heavier I expected they would retreat up into the trees, but no, they stayed put. It got heavier still (in fact I spent more time with my camera under my jacket than at eye level) and at the very least I expected them to close their wings, but no, they just sat it out. The same behaviour was apparent in the White Admirals although there weren't so many of them, just a handful. Even the Skippers were flying in the rain - both Small and Large. Consequently, in many of my photos the butterflies are covered in raindrops. I don't usually list the number of species seen but I was surprised at the number (both species and butterflies) which included Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Small Skipper, Large Skipper, Red Admiral, White Admiral, SWF, Comma, Marbled White ... but still no PE!

I shall focus on SWF today and the rest tomorrow:
P1080073d.jpg

P1080024d.jpg
P1080048d.jpg

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shots Pauline, the first SWF is a real gem with the coiled proboscis :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Pauline wrote: I have learned a few things this week and one of them is that butterflies don't always take shelter up trees at the first hint of bad weather. Take the Hairstreaks earlier - during torrential downpours they carried on nectaring regardless. Similarly today, the SWF - and there are a good number of them at the Straits now, both male and female - totally disregarded the rain. The females stayed low on bramble, wings outstretched. The males stopped nectaring but took up their 'guard' positions at the ends of low branches on bushes. As the rain became heavier I expected they would retreat up into the trees, but no, they stayed put. It got heavier still (in fact I spent more time with my camera under my jacket than at eye level) and at the very least I expected them to close their wings, but no, they just sat it out. The same behaviour was apparent in the White Admirals although there weren't so many of them, just a handful. Even the Skippers were flying in the rain - both Small and Large. Consequently, in many of my photos the butterflies are covered in raindrops.
Excellent observations Pauline and a lesson for many of us.

Just because we are often not out in the bad weather, it doesn't always mean the butterflies are not there.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Return to “Personal Diaries”