How Can Ticks Be Avoided?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Paul Harfield

How Can Ticks Be Avoided?

Post by Paul Harfield »

I have recently had bad experiences with ticks on a site in my local area. Botley Wood is between Botley and Wickham in Hampshire. I have visited several times this year, my first Butterflying year.
Wednesday before last I made a visit whilst wearing shorts and when I returned home I found I had aquired 15 ticks :shock: I am 47 years old and previously I can only recall ever having one some years ago after a trip to the New Forest, so finding that many after one trip was slightly worrying. I made a second visit last Thursday and this time wore long trousers and still managed to aquire 3 ticks. One on my leg, one on my waist and one on my back. :(
I have been to the GP for advice as I was concerned about Lymes disease. My GP said it was very uncommon but was quite shocked that I had managed to get so many in such a short time.
I do not know if this site has a particularly high population of ticks or if I am just unlucky. The site does have high numbers of Deer but I am not sure if that is relevant. My GP also sugested that the weather may be a factor?
Can anybody give any advice on how to avoid getting ticks other than avoiding the site completely :?: All advice appreciated
Mark Colvin

Re: How Can Ticks Be Avoided?

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Jack,

Check out the Borreliosis and Associated Diseases Awareness UK (BADA-UK) website at http://www.bada-uk.org/.

It's a very useful site full of all the information you are likely to want.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Hi Mark
Many thanks for that link, it makes quite unpleasant reading :( Dramatic stories of tick bites ruining peoples lives are making me a little concerned. I think another trip to the GP is in order. If only I had known all that before :x
A_T

Post by A_T »

Long trousers are needed in my opinion if you are going anywhere to look at insects. If you're expecting to see some of our 6-legged friends chances are there are going to be species looking to feast on you!
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

A_T wrote:Long trousers are needed in my opinion
& long sleeves
& insect repellent
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thanks for all the advice.
I will certainly make sure I am better prepared next time.
That is if this rain ever stops :cry:
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Tuck your trousers into your socks and your shirt into your trousers. There is something that you can spray onto your clothing, citrus I think, that helps. I have a leaflet at work, but I'm on holiday just now. I am sure there will be info on line
hilary

Post by hilary »

Reading on the Borreliosis website (given by Mark) is very interesting but quite scary. Some of the precautionary measures I have not come across before - e.g. take off your cloths before going into your house (what would the neighbours say!) and put them in a tumble drier for over 10 minutes as normal washing doesn't kill the ticks.
Luckily most ticks aren't tempted by my blood and I've only had a couple attach to me, but removed them very incorrectly. Most people I know seem to fare much worse. I couln't find any information on the % risk of getting Lymes, and suppose the data is yet to be sorted. Some years ago I heard that there is a higher risk in certain areas. I am now going to get the proper tick removing thing but before investing in a tumble drier I wondered how many of (presumably tick bitten) forum members have had a problem with tick bourne dieases?
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

I've had a handful of ticks attach themselves to my legs over the years, no adverse reaction or bulls eye rashes noticed. My wife had one attach itself to her belly button once, presumably whilst she was lying spread-eagled in the grass getting her camera lens eyeball to eyeball with a butterfly. (Kinda had to feel sorry for the poor tick... :wink: )

My friend picked up a tick in the New Forest and contracted Lyme's Disease, although it took a battery of tests and several doctors before the correct diagnosis was made. Doctors, it appears, largely play down the risk of Lyme's in Britain. I can't recall the article I read, but it seems that tick borne diseases are expected to become prevalent in the UK in the next few decades and possibly we all need to be aware of taking precautions of safeguarding ourselves (and our pets).

I really hate to tempt fate, but thus far we've walked from Land's End to the Scottish border, wild camping in fields most nights, and have managed to evade ticks, ants, horseflies or any other horrible nasties.

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

well, if the rain keeps up you might avoid the Scottish midges too but which is worse - downpour or midges? :?
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

hilary wrote: I am now going to get the proper tick removing thing but before investing in a tumble drier I wondered how many of (presumably tick bitten) forum members have had a problem with tick bourne dieases?
After mentioning my tick experience to my parents, they informed me that their nextdoor neighbour had contracted Lymes diseases from a tick bite and spent three weeks in hospital last year before they found what was wrong :shock: I think the difficulty in diagnosis stemmed from the fact that he did not know he had been bitten. This theme seems to echo many other stories I have read. The problems occur when people do not know they have been bitten or do not associate symptoms which materialise months later with a bite.

I noticed on the link kindly provided by Mark Colvin that many of the stories and cases reported seemed to originate in Scotland. I also noticed that there are many other diseases/infections that are contractable through tick bites other than Lymes. I have also seen mentioned that if you have been bitten then you should keep the tick together with the date of bite to aid future diagnosis should a problem occur.

Thanks again for all the advice :)
hilary

Post by hilary »

Gibster - I'm in awe over your long distance walk! Glad you haven't been attacked by ticks etc.
Bill S

Post by Bill S »

Long light coloured trousers, tucked into the socks. Brush off before getting into the car (but don't put the camera on the roof while you're doing that :oops: ). Long sleeve shirts are good but I prefer a jacket over t-shirt even when it's hot. Light colours are good so you can spot them while on your clothing. The most important bit is to check as soon as you get home, showering is good. Buy some tick removal tools from the Bada recommended list. Bearing in mind why we are in the scrub in the first place, I don't use insect repellent.

Bill

Return to “General”