I think there are less Butterflies about

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Danny

I think there are less Butterflies about

Post by Danny »

I dunno if you fellas are with me on this, but I think there are a lot less insects about this year. I visited a place near Beachy Head called Horseshoe Plantation the other day. Normally you'd see tons of insects, but there were only a few meadow browns (not masses) and a marbled white or two (normally you'd see loads of them). Last year there were a lot of DGFs and there a few Elms which throw up a WLH or two. This year - nothing. Normally driving around you see lots of whites as we all know, but there seem to be a lot less of them. Sure they're there, but not in the usual numbers.

A visit to Oaken Wood (I remembered the name this time!) earlier this month totted up my target species of Silver Washed, Purple Emps and WAs, but normally the woods are awash with Silver washed. I reckon the numbers were significantly down.

Maybe the rain has killed off the foodplants/larvae. I wonder if this crap July Weather will take it's toll on the spring species that did so well earlier in the year....or will the Primroses flourish and the Duke of Burgundy caterpillers will have a feeding frenzy.

Just an observation, you can carry on taking your wonderful photographs (of which I'm very jealous) now.

Danny
David Tipping

Post by David Tipping »

Danny, if my observations are any guide I think you are probably right. I would imagine that insect populations fluctuate considerably from year to year, according to the prevailing conditions. However this may not be an indication of a long term decline. Bearing in mind that only a tiny percentage of ova ever develop into adult insects, favourable weather next year could see a marginal increase in that percentage and hence a bumper year. At any rate that's my theory, but I'm a taxi driver, not a biologist!
DJT
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I noticed that too, but I don't see it as a declince, I have seen most species of butterfly that are meant to be round areas I have seen them, not at one time, like usual, but at different times, they are there, might be weather that puts them off coming out.

Not a biologist, so I can't fully help.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
brianwaugh

Post by brianwaugh »

I've noticed a marked decline in the numbers of Larva about...of all species.

even the saw tooth varieties that usually attack my gooseberries !
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

I have seen HUNDREDS of small tortoiseshell larvae about latley and 1 Elepahant Hawk Moth larvae and a Angel Shades I think too. Seen more different butterfly species in past couple of days than I have seen in a long time:

Common Blue (only 1 for some reason) First ever in location I looked, thought at first "There is loads of trefoil, must be here, and sure enough, one!

Holly Blue (2-3)

Small Copper (1) first time in the part of wood I was in

GV White (3-4)

Small White (10+)

Large White (3-5+)

Small Tortoiseshell (15+)
Red Admiral (5-6+)
Meadow Brown (too many)
Ringlet (too many)
Peacock (1)

Thats just in two days, in ear enough one location. Most in one day.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Danny

Post by Danny »

Question is: Can they swim?

Danny
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Watching news coverage of the floods in England (from my 45° mountain slope - so no flooding here!) I have been staggered by the lack of commentary on what is happening to other species than Homo sapiens. What, indeed, happens to larvae and eggs and pupae when their home is submerged for several days? How many rabbits and moles have drowned in their burrows? I know nature always comes through in the end, but what a lot of hardship, suffering and loss there must be this year.

One thing I have noticed here is an increased number of extremely small butterflies emerging recently. I Have seen two mazarine blues so small I thought I had discovered a new species of Cupido! They were smaller than normal minimus. My supposition is that the cold, wet weather led them into early pupation, as their torpid existence as caterpillars was losing them more energy than they could eat. The large blue below was also smaller than a normal common blue - something that doesn't show in the picture except that the spots look unnaturally large on it! Was the ant activity too low for it to feed happily down in its nest, and so it too pupated early? Only speculation, but the phenomenon has been quite striking.

Guy
eccles

Post by eccles »

Dragonflies cannot hunt when it is raining. If it rains for too long they die. So they will no doubt take a hit in a couple of years as this year's nymphs, or lack of them, reach adulthood.
nick patel

Post by nick patel »

Can anyone tell me if the heavy rain and flooding around Buckinghamshire, and Oxfordshire - not necessarily around the Rivers - has affected the Butterflies in these areas, as i am coming down in August to try and seek some of the specialities around there out.

Thanks,

Nick.
brianwaugh

Post by brianwaugh »

My local RSPB reserve Old Moor at Barnsley South Yorkshire use to have a wonderful small wildlife meadow, teeming with common blues orange tips skippers etc. Been under water for 2 weeks. The waters have now been pumped out so I visited yesterday and could have cried... the meadow is a blackened stinking mat of squidgy vegetation, hardly a flower in sight and apart from one hunting dragonfly over a lake and a few blue tailed damsels, hardly a thing moving.
They also lost around 600 ground nesting birds. I think it will take a long time for nature to recover.
One highlight reported, when the waters were at their highest, was that many trees became home to field mice and voles, so hopefully their numbers will not been down too much.

They also lost 2 sheep !

Return to “General”