Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Mark Colvin

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Stedham Common, 27 June 2012 - Part 2

In search of silver …

Amongst all the gloom and doom of what has undoubtedly been a difficult start to the 2012 butterfly season, I thought I'd share a ray of personal hope.

Despite previous losses of the Silver-studded Blue (Plebeius argus) from so many sites across Sussex, the last couple of years have seen Iping and Stedham Commons in West Sussex remain a key stronghold for this charismatic and beautiful butterfly, thanks to the combined management efforts of the Sussex Wildlife Trust and the various organisations and conservation volunteers involved with its management. 2010 proved to be a very positive year for the species in Sussex and show that it is possible to create and sustain ideal habitat conditions to save P. argus, at least in West Sussex. In 2011, despite inclement weather conditions at the time of the expected first emergence at Iping Common, adult butterflies were found and still being tended by ants that would have helped them through their early stages. In some areas, such as at Chapel Common on the Sussex / Hampshire border, numbers seen were up by 161% on 2010. In 2012, in a similar manner to 2011, we have seen poor weather follow a warm spring. My personal observations to date, based purely on my own site visits to Stedham Common, indicate a positive season for this beautiful butterfly, at least in this part of West Sussex.

Long may this positive trend continue ...
UKBP1060662.JPG

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Lovely photo, Mark.

How do you think numbers compare to previous years? They seem very low to me when i've been there but perhaps i've been spoilt from a couple of good years.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Great shot Mark! :mrgreen: The Silver Studs have only just started emerging here in the last day or two so my third trip to Slop Bog might be the lucky one.

Havd a goodun

Wurzel

PS cheers for the info on child care - I better start saving now :?

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Super picture Mark, how do you get that beautiful blurred background :?: :?: :?:

Debbie :)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Neil, Susie, Wurzel and Debbie,

Thank you all for your very kind comments.
Susie wrote:How do you think numbers compare to previous years? They seem very low to me when I've been there but perhaps I've been spoilt from a couple of good years.
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head Susie. 2010 was a very positive year for SSBs in Sussex and I recall seeing good numbers at Stedham Common. I certainly saw less in 2011, though in all fairness also visited the site less frequently. I have made a number of visits in 2012 and feel, from personal observation, that 2012 will be a better year than 2011. I’ve not reviewed it, though would be interested to know the results of the transect for this area.
Debbie wrote:Super picture Mark, how do you get that beautiful blurred background?
Keep it simple ...

I just use a Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ45. It’s a good value bridge camera, very easy to use and produces the results I want. I wouldn’t swap it for anything … well maybe another FZ45! Take a look at Neil's pictures (Sussex Kipper), produced with the earlier FZ38 and you'll soon see why we both use a Lumix. I certainly don’t class myself as a photographer in the first instance and don’t do anything fancy with the camera; in fact start talking camera terminology and you’ll soon put me to sleep …

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Mark,
thanks for your comments, I was given a DSLR camera and are therefore committed to that. I agree keep it simple, and thank you for taking your time to reply to my question.
Debbie

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Pirbright Common, 2 July 2012

Opportunities …

The Met Office has now confirmed …

“Provisional Met Office figures for June show double the average amount of rain has fallen, making it the wettest June since records began in 1910. This is the second record-breaking month of rainfall this year, with April also topping the rankings. The period from April to June is also the wettest recorded for the UK. It is also the second dullest June on record with just 119.2 hours of sunshine, narrowly missing out on the record of 115.4 hours set in 1987. To complete the disappointing picture, it has also been the coolest June since 1991 with a mean temperature of 12.3°C”.

So that’s the good news …

Hopefully things can only get better, or at least that’s what I keep telling myself and particularly with Emperor season upon us. The message that clearly comes across to me, is that although opportunities to get out and see butterflies this season may be few and far between, we need to grab every single opportunity we get. Earlier today, with an 11.30am business meeting rescheduled to 1pm at short notice, and finding myself just outside of Guildford, I decided to pay a brief visit to a very overcast and windy Pirbright Common in Surrey. The last time I visited this small area of heathland was on 25th July 2011, when I visited the site to see the Grayling and Silver-studded Blue colonies that are to be found there. Today, despite far from ideal conditions, it was not hard to find small numbers of male Silver-studded Blue hunkered down in the heather; thermoregulating at every opportunity.

Get out there when you can ...
UKBP1070302.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Cissbury Ring, 3 July 2012

Sussex hardcore …

Despite conditions that could only really be described as “stay indoors and watch the tennis”, though that had already been cancelled due to the rain, I decided to head to Cissbury Ring this afternoon and was pleased to be joined by fellow Sussex hardcore, Colin Knight; who was obviously equally as mad as me …

As we approached our destination low cloud covered the now invisible hill; rain had started to fall. As we climbed the ancient hill fort a female Speckled Wood braved the elements and alighted nearby. Heading clockwise around the outer ditch with the ramparts rising to our right, numerous Meadow Brown and Small Heath continually lifted from the wet grass. A single male Common Blue was found roosting nearby. Having completed our walk around the ditch, we headed to higher ground where we hoped that our main target, a Dark Green Fritillary, would be found, though this was sadly not the case. The grass was now sodden and so were we; my trousers drenched to my waist, my walking boots squelched with every step (but hey, its summer and we were having fun). As we descended to slightly lower and more sheltered ground we came across a single pristine male Dark Green Fritillary hunkered down in the grass. Colin managed a couple of shots before it took flight and we lost it to the wind. Several male Marbled White were also seen as they lifted from the grass ...

I have a feeling that this entomological obsession of a need to search no matter what the conditions must run in the Sussex blood, as a certain well known Emperor hunter was captured on film in 2010 searching for hibernating iris larvae in freezing conditions and 5" of snow; a rather seasonal fetching red hat and handbag providing a nice touch :wink:

Mission accomplished …

Species seen:

Speckled Wood
Meadow Brown
Common Blue
Ringlet
Small Heath
Marbled White
Dark Green Fritillary
UKBP1000731.JPG
UKBP1000722.JPG

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Glad to see you two were being as equally optimistic/dedicated/stupid as I was today :lol: . But hey, you found a DGF! Thurs and Friday might be better and I've got time off (Hannah and Mia away). Anyone for White-letters?
Neil

Susie

Post by Susie »

Hehe, so glad there's a group of us Sussex Nutters that will venture boldly regardless of the conditions! :-D

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

New Forest, 4 July 2012

lanceolata …

The words “I should easily be able to give you 2-3 days notice of emergence” rang in my mind when 3 minutes later my phone rang and the words “a female’s emerged, how soon can you get down” changed my plans for today. The reason for the phone call, the emergence of a beautiful female Ringlet (Aphantopus hyperantus ab. lanceolata). 75 miles and 2 hours later, I arrived at Alec’s house on the edge of the New Forest.

My good friend Alec Harmer, author of Variation in British Butterflies, has been studying the causes and genetics of variation for many years and possesses a wealth of knowledge on the subject. In 1995, in a small private wood in West Sussex, Alec’s attention was drawn to a small colony of Ringlets. He was rewarded with finding, not only one, but several extreme specimens of the very rare and beautiful ab. lanceolata, the first a female. It is from this original female that much of Alec’s research has been undertaken. For anyone interested in the causes and genetics of butterfly variation, I highly recommend Alec’s work. His book, published in 2000 and which runs to a lengthy 294 pages, has been written with the keen amateur lepidopterist very much in mind. It is illustrated throughout and contains 84 coloured plates by Alec’s long time friend, the late A D A (Donald) Russwurm. The book is priced at £38.00 including postage and packing.

Alec can be contacted at paphiapublishing@hotmail.com

Aphantopus hyperantus ab. lanceolata
UKBP1070438.JPG
UKBP1070518.JPG
UKBP1070511.JPG

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Superb underside shot. Love it. :D
Neil

Susie

Post by Susie »

WOW! :D

The book's now on my wish list too.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great photos of a really attractive butterfly.
The underside is special but it is also surprising how much the look of the topside is improved.

Another excellent post :D

Neil F.

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cracking shots Mark :mrgreen: I didn't realise that the aberration was carried through to the upperwing, but then "as above, so below" I suppose.

Have a goodun

Wurzel

John W

Post by John W »

Stunning!

Cheers
John W

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thank you all for your kind comments :D

She was a beautiful butterfly but so difficult to do justice to in a photo ...

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 5 July 2012

The search continues …

I managed several visits to various sections within the Chiddingfold Forest complex today, the first, at Oaken Wood mid morning and the last, at the same location this evening. Though I’m sure he was watching from above, his Imperial Majesty did not descend in any of the areas I visited during the day, nor for that matter was I even treated to a high-level aerobatic display; maybe next time …

When one door closes another opens and I was pleased to see good numbers of Ringlet (though no fancy aberrations) along with numerous freshly emerged Small Skipper. The Marbled White, a butterfly that always enchants me, permitted close contact this evening …

Species seen today:

Silver-washed Fritillary
White Admiral
Red Admiral
Comma
Small Skipper
Large Skipper
Small Heath
Ringlet
Marbled White
Meadow Brown
Speckled Wood
UKBP1070781.JPG
UKBP1080011.JPG
UKBPP1080088b.jpg
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 7 July 2012

A favourite place …

I managed two quick visits to one of my favourite sections within the Chiddingfold Forest complex today. The first, at 6am and in very poor light conditions (but at least it wasn’t raining), and the second at around 4pm this afternoon; just as the wind was getting up! Roosting butterflies were the order of the morning, and I found a reasonable number of Marbled White, Meadow Brown, Small Heath and both Large and Small Skipper in amongst the long and very wet grass. This afternoon’s visit, after a day of family commitments, produced similar species with the added bonus of a freshly emerged and very active male Dark Green Fritillary …

A male Marbled White at rest below ...

Species seen:

Dark Green Fritillary
Small Skipper
Large Skipper
Ringlet
Small Heath
Marbled White
Meadow Brown
UKBP1080322.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold and Chiseldown, 9 and 10 July 2012

A flash of purple …

It wasn't until late yesterday afternoon, 9th July, that I managed a quick visit to a small section of the Chiddingfold Forest complex. As I headed along the forestry track and into the wood light drizzle began to fall. It was close and humid; the mosquitoes and horseflies were out in force!

As I walked through the long grass, where just three days ago I saw a freshly emerged though very active Dark Green Fritillary, a male Purple Hairstreak suddenly caught my eye as it moved in front of me and immediately rose from its resting place on the bracken and into a nearby oak - if only I'd seen it sooner. Marbled White, Meadow Brown and both Small and Large Skipper were all active, though not venturing too far until the drizzle relented. As I followed the forestry track deeper into the wood a female Small Skipper rather took my fancy, her movements somewhat less hurried compared to the males I also watched …

After working in the Chichester area today, 10th July, the mounting need for fresh air found me venturing into new territory. I regularly pass an area of mature beech forestry with bramble and bracken sided rides, near to Goodwood Racecourse, known as Chiseldown. Despite the falling rain I managed to find a single Red Admiral and two small areas where Ringlets danced in the occasional interludes of sun. Most were males, though a single freshly emerged female posed nicely along the edge of the track …

Species seen:

Purple Hairstreak
Small White
Red Admiral
Small Skipper
Large Skipper
Ringlet
Small Heath
Marbled White
Meadow Brown
UKBP1080692.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”