June 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
Philzoid

Re: June 2012

Post by Philzoid »

A visit to Wrecclesham for Heath Fritillaries drew a blank as it did with Glanvilles too. Lots of Meadow Brown, Marbled White and Large Skipper with the odd Small Heath and Red Admiral thrown in made up the species seen. Sunny but breezy conditions ensured they stayed low down in the grass but also alert to approaching danger (photographers :lol: ).
Male Large Skipper. These butterflies enjoy the sun and don't seem fazed by windy conditions
Male Large Skipper. These butterflies enjoy the sun and don't seem fazed by windy conditions
Male Marbled White: my best pic so far this year
Male Marbled White: my best pic so far this year
Encouraged by reports of Silver-studded Blue I moved onto Chobham Common, a heathland which usually has reasonable numbers of this species. Perhaps my timing was wrong but an hour's searching only got me three males. The male in the open wing shot turned had a deformed right front wing and although he gamely battled against the breeze, he seemed to take more rests that the other two individuals.
C 2012.06.30 IMG_4945 Silver-studded Blue (male), Chobham Common.jpg
Yellow bodied Crane fly?
Yellow bodied Crane fly?
E 2012.06.30 IMG_4990 Silver-studded Blue (male), Chobham Common.jpg
Small Heath on a heath
Small Heath on a heath
June is nearly over and summer looks like it's just got going. Purple Emperor season is about to kick-off :D Here's to more good weather and plenty of butterflies
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Nice sightings report and some smashing images Phil, I must agree that's a tremendous Marbled White shot. Love your optimism about the weather, agreed, let's have a really great Purple Emperor season and lots of the yellow stuff 8)

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
a_j_steele

Post by a_j_steele »

A trip out with the bed branch of the Butterfly Conservation at Sharpenhoe Clappers quite a few Dark Green out on the wing (15+) though only really in flight due to the wind also good numbers of Marbled White, Ringlets and Meadow brown, 1 Red Admiral, 1 Specked Wood, 2 Large Skippers, around 6 Common Blues, 5 Small Heaths and 1 5 Spotted Burnet Moth

Return to “Sightings”