French trip - 17th to 24th June

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
owen figgis

French trip - 17th to 24th June

Post by owen figgis »

Hi,

I've recently returned from a superb holiday in the Causses/Sevenne area of France. At a rough count I made it 76 species for the week which was beyond my wildest dreams. I have had trouble with some of the ID's though particularly the grizzled skippers and the blues and would be grateful for some help with these.
My adventure started at Carcassonne where I picked up a little Fiat hire car for the week. First stop was a service station on the motorway. There was a rough flower filled area behind it which was alive with butterflies including Iberian marbled white.
P1020329 resize.jpg
Also great banded grayling.
P1020331 resize3.jpg
Other butterflies that I did not see elsewhere were Spanish gatekeeper, Lulworth skipper and swallowtail.
The rest of the week was spent in the area to the east of Millau and I basically just drove around and stopped at likely places. The diversity of wildlife is astounding and the landscape spectacular, particularly around the Gorge du Tarn where I spent a couple of nights.
Heres a few of the better images.
I was surprised to see pearl borders as they are just about finished here. There were much fresher ones than this too.

More to follow. Owen
Attachments
black veined white
black veined white
P1020353 resize.jpg
owen figgis

Re: French trip - 17th to 24th June

Post by owen figgis »

Thought I'd start with the coppers. Theres only four of them and I think I have the ID's OK. The higher slopes of the Cevennes were the best for these on the more acidic soils.
scarce copper
scarce copper
sooty copper female
sooty copper female
sooty copper male
sooty copper male
purple shot copper
purple shot copper
small copper
small copper
Cheers, Owen
owen figgis

Post by owen figgis »

Ok. Now onto the hairstreaks. I'm not so sure of these especialy the false ilex.
ilex hairstreak
ilex hairstreak
blue spot hairstreak
blue spot hairstreak
sloe hairstreak
sloe hairstreak
false ilex hairstreak
false ilex hairstreak
Cheers, Owen
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

That's a stunning Purple Shot Copper image, Owen :mrgreen: .

Could you add it to the Species-Specific Album when you get time please. Just click on the "Gallery" icon at the top of this page and navigate from there.

Thanks,
Vince
owen figgis

Post by owen figgis »

Very glad you like it. Previously I had seen only one other and it was on a family holiday to the Jura region about 35 years ago.

Owen
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Yes, lovely shots.

I think you've got all the IDs correct. I would unhesitatingly have called false ilex too for that last one.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
owen figgis

Post by owen figgis »

And now to the browns. There were two species that seemed to be everwhere; pearly and small heaths and also marbled whites.
pearly heath
pearly heath
small heath
small heath
Around the middle of the week I decided to look for mountain ringlet on Mont Aigoual and found plenty of dark butterflies near the summit. Not sure if these are the real deal as there were plenty of similar looking insects further down the slopes that I was able to examine more closely.
mountain ringlet
mountain ringlet
Piedmont ringlet
Piedmont ringlet
A couple more new to me were:
large wall
large wall
rock grayling
rock grayling
and one that looks a little diferent.
speckled wood
speckled wood
Owen
owen figgis

Post by owen figgis »

Now it starts to get difficult. There were masses of fritillaries everywhere I went but in their normal fashion were very difficult to get close to let alone photograph. I have named them all but am not at all certain so please feel free to disagree.
Knapweed fritillary
Knapweed fritillary
Marbled fritillary
Marbled fritillary
Queen of Spain fritillary
Queen of Spain fritillary
Heath fritillary
Heath fritillary
Weavers fritillary
Weavers fritillary
Twin-spot fritillary
Twin-spot fritillary
Spotted fritillary
Spotted fritillary
False heath fritillary
False heath fritillary
Knapweed fritillary
Knapweed fritillary
Knapweed fritillary
Knapweed fritillary
Meadow fritillary
Meadow fritillary
Heath fritillary
Heath fritillary
Provencal fritillary
Provencal fritillary
Marsh fritillary
Marsh fritillary
Dark green fritillary
Dark green fritillary
Owen
Last edited by owen figgis on Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

I certainly wouldn't challenge any of those, although Twin-Spot, False Heath & Meadow Fritillary are outside my experience so I'll leave those to others.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Owen. I really enjoy looking at these pictures - especially as cloud and rain have descended on CH.

Your first 'Provençal fritillary' is a knapweed fritillary. Apart from that, I agree with the IDs, with the single caveat that your final heath fritillary (fourth picture from the end) has the distinct feel of false heath about it and although no form of false heath that looks like that appears in the books those individuals do make me wonder. The problem is, both heath and false heath are almost infinitely variable and without an underside I don't feel confident on that one.

Guy
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
owen figgis

Post by owen figgis »

Thanks for that Guy. I'm still not sure how to tell the difference between knapweed and provencal. My Collin's guide is not very clear on this.

Cheers, Owen
owen figgis

Post by owen figgis »

Here's a few of the skippers from my holiday. My confidence level is extremely low in correctly ID'ing most of these but will have a stab at it!
Red underwing skipper
Red underwing skipper
Small skipper
Small skipper
Oberthur's grizzled skipper
P1020487 resize.jpg
Dingy skipper
Dingy skipper
Large skipper
Large skipper
P1020600 resize.jpg
Essex skipper
Essex skipper
P1020653 resize.jpg
Tufted marbled skipper
Tufted marbled skipper
P1020762 resize.jpg
P1020790 resize.jpg
Owen
Last edited by owen figgis on Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Owen.

For the knapweed/Provençal, note that knapweed has a very spotty appearance on the underside hindwing, with dots and broken lines. It also has pale veins. Species in the old Mellicta genus (which included Provençal) are not like this.

As for your next batch of skippers ...

The second Oberthür's looks a lot like safflower (carthami) and I think some of the others you show are also safflower. In the field this is a very distinctive butterfly but when worn some of its features get blunted and are not so obvious in a photo. Nor can you appreciate the huge size or distinctive flight from a photo, obviously. The third 'Oberthür's is Oberthür's, I think, and the first might well be - but I'd love to see an underside ...

I suspect the first 'Foulquier's' is not that - but it might be large grizzled skipper (alveus). Foulquier's is a tricky one and I won't claim any authority there, but the male is supposed to have a conspicuous hair tuft at the tip of the abdomen and those I have allowed myself to call Foulquier's have shown quite a coiffe in the male:

(male on left)

The one you label 'large grizzled skipper' looks again like safflower to me.

The 'marbled skipper' is a tufted marbled skipper. The elongated marginal markings are distinctive.

The next 'Foulquier's' I'm tempted to call safflower again, though as I always say, I'd love an underside...

The last one could be olive.

See what others - Roger in particular - have to say about the Pyrgus. Because I identify safflower in the field by its size, flight and general appearance I find myself strangely ill at ease with upperside pictures!

Guy
owen figgis

Post by owen figgis »

Thanks Guy for your expert knowledge. I'm afraid my ID's are little more than guesses. Many of the skippers I saw on the Causse Noire were very large and at first thought they were large grizzled but they lacked the eye on the fore wing I hadnt realised that the safflower skippers are big too. I may have some more underside shots which I will post tomorrow.

Cheers, Owen
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I think what Guy is saying is that 1020443 and 1020492 are armoricanus and the others (including the Olive – serratulae) are carthami albeit worn and I would certainly agree with that. Foulquieri is a very localised species and quite rare – I have had probable/possible sightings in the past but the first certain sighting only three days ago.

Curiously, the only Pyrgus I have seen in the last two days has been carthami, dozens of them and all very fresh, recently emerged. It is a beautiful butterfly when fresh, with a pale underside that gives it a light appearance in flight – note Guy’s comment that ID in the field is often easier.

I wonder if 1020600 is carlinae – the v5 marginal mark looks quite long and neatly rectangular and the discal band is empty in s2 but if the altitude were too low or the location wrong, I would suggest maybe alveus would be the best bet.
owen figgis

Post by owen figgis »

I've found a few more images of skippers but I dont know if they will be much help.
File 492 uns I think. Causse de Sauveterre approx 1000m
File 492 uns I think. Causse de Sauveterre approx 1000m
File 600 ups Causse Noire approx 1000m
File 600 ups Causse Noire approx 1000m
Causse Noire
Causse Noire
Owen
owen figgis

Post by owen figgis »

I've been putting this off for a while but have finally sorted through my blues. A few I am confident with my ID's but some I am not at all sure of. There's not many species to worry about here in Scotland but a very different matter on the continent.
Chapman's blue?
Chapman's blue?
Long-tailed blue
Long-tailed blue
Mazarine blue
Mazarine blue
Mazarine blue?
Mazarine blue?
Common blue
Common blue
Chapman's blue ?
Chapman's blue ?
Adonis blue?
Adonis blue?
???
???
Small blue
Small blue
Brown argus
Brown argus
???
???
Adonis blue
Adonis blue
Osiris blue
Osiris blue
Common blue
Common blue
Large blue
Large blue
Silver-studded blue
Silver-studded blue
Silver-studded blue
Silver-studded blue
Chapman's blue?
Chapman's blue?
Chapman's blue?
Chapman's blue?
Holly blue
Holly blue
This was laying eggs on black medic - very small.
This was laying eggs on black medic - very small.
Brown argus
Brown argus
Owen
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Owen.

Your skipper undersides are both safflower (carthami).

The first blue in this latest batch is Escher's - the half-chequered hindwing fringe and the pale 'antler' marks around the cell of the forewing are characteristic, as well as the colour and what can be seen of the underside.

The next one you label Chapman's ? does appear to be Chapman's. I can't rule out Escher's - the half-chequering is only visible from the upperside in that species - but the general appearance is Chapman's, not Escher's.

The one you call Adonis, and the next (???) are not easy to call. They could both be chalkhill rather than Adonis but to see such faded chalkhill blues at that time of year would seem anomalous. They are not Provençal. If I were forced to choose, I'd go for chalkhill despite the dates.

The next ??? (515) is a male common blue. The lack of androconial furring in the cell rules out Chapman's and the colour says common too.

The Osiris blue is very probable, especially as it is on the foodplant.

The next 'Chapman's blue' (663) is certainly Escher's blue, as is the female below it. Are they the same individual?

The penultimate butterfly is a female common blue.

Guy
owen figgis

Post by owen figgis »

Hi Guy,

I am very pleased that you have ID'd Escher's. There were a lot of similar butterflies on the high limestone plateau along with other blues but I did not see a single chalkhill male and I am sure I would have recognised one.

Is it normal to find such tiny and dark common blue females? My local ones tend to be large, with quite a lot of blue showing.

663 and 665 are the same insect.

You didnt mention the underside of the Mazarine. The markings dont look quite right to me. It was one I saw only very briefly on the first day and only saw one other right at the end of the week - the photo above it.

Thanks, Owen
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

owen figgis wrote:Is it normal to find such tiny and dark common blue females? My local ones tend to be large, with quite a lot of blue showing.
Later broods of Chapman's and common blue female are often dark, with very little blue. The one you have shown on black medick can't really be anything else, given the cell spot and the foodplant. It is also common in the south of Europe to find very small blues in the summer broods, a phenomenon I put down to dessication of foodplants. Females are, of course, smaller than males in this group.
owen figgis wrote:You didnt mention the underside of the Mazarine. The markings dont look quite right to me. It was one I saw only very briefly on the first day and only saw one other right at the end of the week - the photo above it.
What colour were the uppersides of that butterfly? The only alternative to mazarine is little blue (which can be surprisingly big in the mountains). That is a male. If the ups were dark it is little blue. If the ups were blue it is mazarine. It is (almost certainly) not Osiris.

Guy

Return to “Overseas”