Advice please: Bedford Purlieus for WLH

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
dilettante

Advice please: Bedford Purlieus for WLH

Post by dilettante »

I'm thinking of going to Bedford Purlieus tomorrow. Can anyone advise on whether I'll be too late for White Letter Hairstreaks?

If I understood some directions sent in a PM, I need to park at the blue pin on this map, and look along the ride between the red pins for a good chance of WLH at low level. Is that correct? And what's the best time to be there?

Any advice very welcome.
PhiliB

Re: Advice please: Bedford Purlieus for WLH

Post by PhiliB »

Not too late at all, there were plenty seen on the Cambs - Essex BC field trip today, most had seen better days but there were a few 'fresh' ones about.
The directions you have been given are correct. Look for them nectaring on creeping thistle & marjoram almost any time of the day, as long as the sun is shining.
Phil
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Thanks Phil.

I had seen there was a BC meet there today, but was unable to attend.
fourwings

Post by fourwings »

I was there on Sunday morning and I have spent six hours there today.
There are still quite a few White-letter Hairstreaks about, most are a bit tatty but there are still one or two really tidy ones.
They were coming down to the Wild Marjoram on and off right up to 16:00 when we left.

Out of interest there are still lots of Silver-washed Frits in this area, some really fresh and almost pristine, and with a bit of patience they were allowing us to get images.

Steve. :)
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Sounds great. I didn't make it this weekend (went to Fleam Dyke instead - see my diary entry), and doubt I will next weekend, so probably have missed my chance for this year. Unless I take some time off work this week. Hmm... :D
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Reviving my thread from last year: Does anyone know if White-letter Hairstreaks are out and about in any numbers at Bedford Purlieus yet?
There have been several reports of them from Essex over the last week, but none from Cambs yet that I've seen

Return to “Sites”