Skipper ID

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Hoggers

Skipper ID

Post by Hoggers »

Hi guys, have I correctly identified these two Skippers?

Small Skipper
P1010501.JPG
P1010498.JPG
Essex Skipper
P1010494.JPG
I took the photos this morning, both butterflies were in the same general area ( a patch of waste ground close to my home in Kent )

Cheers
kevling

Re: Skipper ID

Post by kevling »

Hi,

The Essex skipper is identifiable by the tip of the antenna being black, as opposed to the Small skipper that is orange.
I would certainly agree with your conclusion.

Regards
Kev Ling
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I agree. The first two are indisputably small skippers and from what can be seen in this picture the third appears to be Essex skipper. That said, since it is a male, the briefest glimpse of the forewing uppersides would have turned probability into certainty. Antennae can be misleading (both species are given to melanism of the antennae), the shade of the underside forewing apex (in the field sometimes a very useful feature) can be obscured by the camera and/or lighting but the shape of the sex brand is constant and absolutely diagnostic. My recomendation with these skippers, for the purpose of transects/records, is first to try to see the critical uppersides (and record field notes) and only then to go for the photo.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

I agree with Guy. The third picture is inconclusive without the front antennae tips or sex brand. First two definate Small Skippers.
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

Thanks to all those who helped me out on this: I hadn't realised the importance of the male sex brand. I'll keep a look out for it in future.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'm glad the experts find this 'Small/Essex' thing so difficult, as I am frequently confused. At first glance, your last photo looks 'Essex-like' but the farther antenna seems to have a chisel-shaped tip, which, I think, points towards Small. In the past, I have confidently labelled many photos as Essex, only to have doubts creep in later! I wonder what the significance of the different antenna tips is to the butterflies themselves. Perhaps they find ID difficult too, and investigate each other's antennae?

Mike

Return to “Identification”