Lake District Site Info

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
_astralis

Lake District Site Info

Post by _astralis »

Hi all!

Im going on an "Extreme Butterflying" trip to the Lake District for 10 days from 2nd July and was hoping to get some info on which sites to visit. My main targets are High Brown Fritillary, Dark Green Fritillary, Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary, Northern Brown Argus, Grayling, Large Heath, Mountain Ringlet and Scotch Argus.

Mountain Ringlet: I already have some good site information for Honister Pass and the Irton Fell/Whin Rigg area but does anyone know if Hartsop Dodd near Haweswater is any good? I read somewhere that 120+ were seen there in 2010. Looking at the map, there is a carpark nearby but im unsure exactly where on the site i should be looking for MR. Any ideas? Ive also heard that the nearby High Raise is meant to be excellent (someone saw 300 MR's there in 2010!) but i really need some help with location info.

Scotch Argus: I may be a bit early to see these but id like to take some site information with me just incase. I believe the best places to see this species are at Arnside Knott and Smardale Gill? Does anyone know the best area at Smardale to see them? Also SPBF?

I've already got some reliable info for seeing the HB, DG, SPB Fritillary, NBA, Grayling and Scotch Argus at Arnside, and also the Large Heath at Meathop Moss.

I had another crazy thought about looking for the northern polydama form of the Large Heath at Glasson Moss and thought i could co-incide it with a trip to Finglandrigg NNR to see the Marsh Fritillary if they are still out. They probably aren't but can anyone confirm this? Im unsure when they emerged there.

This is going to be a MAD trip and i think ill sleep for a month afterwards! But ill be insanely happy if i get to see (and photograph) all of my target species :)

Thanks!

Gill
Rogerdodge

Re: Lake District Site Info

Post by Rogerdodge »

Gill
Paul Kipling and I saw really good numbers of MR on Hartsop Dodd last year.
24th June.
We climbed up from the pub at NY401080. We saw our first at around NY409091, and they were sporadic from there to Stony Cove Pike, NY417100.
Then the numbers increased, mainly to the north of the wall from NY417106 to NY410120. We then took the steep path down the hill, but only because we were staying at the campsite there. I would advocate retracing and enjoying a celebratory pint in the pub. The only other butterfly on the hill was Small Heath.
The walk (there and back) is 6.5 miles total. lowest point (start and finish) at 455m, highest point Stoney Cove Pike at 763m. The highest point on Hartsop Dodd is 618m.
Even if you don't see the butterfly (and you may be a bit late) it is still a fabulous walk.
HTH
Cheers

Roger
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

At Smardale, the best places are after the viaduct, as far as the small bridge over the path.... but watch out for collectors, I've seen them there before :(
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Just to clarify Reverdin's post, the Scotch Argus are around the path just South of the disused railway viaduct (NY725068). If, as I did, you walk in from Newbiggin then that is before you reach the viaduct . I vividly remember a day there in 1992 - I was sitting on a rock by the path, above a small copse of trees by the Scandale Beck, when I almost fell off my perch with astonishment at the sight of a Clouded Yellow! Somehow, I doubt whether there will be any of those there this year!
Smardale, Cumbria - August 1992<br />digitised from film
Smardale, Cumbria - August 1992
digitised from film
Mike
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

... and you may be a bit early at Smardale for SA... Probably won't be out there until much nearer the end of July :?
But good luck :)

Trev
AJSteele

Post by AJSteele »

With Regards to the Marsh Fritillary had them at Finglandrigg NNR had them on the 4th of June and i think they been out for least a week by then so i would think they may have passed for this year by the time you go, though could depend on the weather of course.
_astralis

Post by _astralis »

Thanks all for the responses. Very helpful :)

Roger - I will definitely be having a drink after the walk. Might need a couple before i start too :lol:

Mike - If walking from Newbiggin, do you know where the best place to park the car is? Is the area you described also good for SPBF, NBA and DGF? Fantastic Clouded Yellow shot, btw. I have yet to see this species in the UK!

Trev - I also fear that im going to be too early for the Scotch Argus but you never know! Ive just looked at the weather forecast for the week and it doesn't look very good at all :(

AJSteele - Thanks for letting me know. Thought it might be a long shot!

Gill
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

_astralis wrote: If walking from Newbiggin, do you know where the best place to park the car is?
It's 20 years since I was there, so memory is a bit hazy! I don't recall any problems, though, and I remember there was a cafe there, where we dried off after getting caught in a heavy shower!

Mike

Return to “Sites”