Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Freeman

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Neil,

Just seen the flooding in Sussex on the news, hope you are all ok down there.

I usually have standing water on my back lawn at some point every winter, except this last one which was unusually dry.
Over the past week or so my lawn has become very soggy....I feel like the year has gone backwards somehow :?

Neil F.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Hi David,
Probably quite soon at Lulworth, some time in late June/early July. The literature is out of date now and I know that quite a few people have been chasing the species far too late in recent years. In the freakishly hot spring of 2007 we saw many species emerge very early, but the Lulworth Skipper seems to have had difficulty sorting out its phenological calendar since then and is now a much earlier species than it used to be in the UK. However, at the moment it does seem to have quite a protracted emergence window, although its entire flight period may be over increasingly early in future years. I reckon end first week June is the best time to see them here if the weather is reasonable. There may be local differences as I haven't seen any reports from Durlston yet, although I'm not sure how closely anyone's looking.
Neil
That's really interesting and really useful information Neil, thanks. It certainly explains why I've had so little chance of seeing them in the last two years.

I was wondering though, does this increasingly early emergence explain why the surveys show them in significant decline this past five years. Do you think its another case of only partial adaptation to the changing climate? I'm thinking that maybe they've partially adapted to the increased spring temperatures, and emerged earlier, but their favoured nectaring or egg laying plants aren't in the right condition at that time of year.

What do you think?

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

That's an interesting point, Paul.

Given their habitat requirements, Lulworth Skippers, unlike many other British species, cannot really colonise northwards.

Perhaps their response is to alter their emergence pattern to favour an earlier period, where once this would have been too inclement.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Paul and David,
This is a very interesting point. Unfortunately the computer just kicked me out of UKB, losing 30 minutes of work on my answer. Free time has just evaporated so I'll come back to the rather contentious issue of an apparent decline in Lulworth Skipper at another time.

Hi Neil,
We're just about dried out thanks.
Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Full House - Just!

Yesterday (14th June) I finally saw the last UK resident/breeding species on the list of 59, although I've been fortunate enough to see a few rare visitors along the way. But it was a close call and were it not for Rogerdodge's map and a chance meeting with Pete Antrobus (a.k.a. podster) I would have made a monster boob :shock: :!: . I decided to head to the Lakes at very short notice, when the weather forecasters suddenly predicted a window of opportunity.

In a rush I memorised, rather than printed off, Rogerdodge's map of Irton Fell. I made the schoolboy error of following the main track towards Irton Pike (rather than turning right at the first fork) and wasted several hours of full-on sunshine looking at an abundance of Small Heath! As I drove away feeling that perhaps they were going to be late this year, a growing feeling that this was unlikely caused me to try and recall the map more clearly. The configuration of paths at the top was wrong, so I turned back. Pete was just getting into his car and had a satisfied look on his face that said "I've just seen Mountain Ringlet". After a brief chat he put me on the right track - thanks Pete!

The Mountain Ringlets were soon located and after walking some distance up the ridge I spotted about 25 in all. I was surprised at just how fast they plummet into the grass if the sunshine disappears. Full-on sunshine really is essential for MR watching. During longer periods of cloudy weather they shimmy deep down into the grass and then become 'un-flushable'. This must be responsible for the rapid loss of scales and the greasy appearance that even quite freshly emerged specimens seem to take on. I only saw one female and I suspect the flight season started quite recently.

A stunning location, good weather and a milestone reached. However, the couple of hours I was limited to was insufficient to fulfill my wish to learn more about this interesting species and I'll be back next year, better prepared.
UKB Irton Fell - Mountain Ringlet country 14.6.12.jpg
UKB Mountain Ringlet (1) Irton Fell 14.6.12.jpg
UKB Mountain Ringlet (2) Irton Fell 14.6.12.jpg
UKB Mountain Ringlet (3) Irton Fell 14.6.12.jpg

PhiliB

Post by PhiliB »

Congratulations on your 'full house' Neil.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Yes well done Neil. I have a mainland full house but not yet the Irish Wood White. My occasionals/extincts (?) are Large Tort and Camberwell Beauty only. No Monarch as yet (in Britain). Is Monarch on your list Neil?

Your initial failure with Mountain Ringlets gave me a little laugh. It's an exact parallel with my experience three weeks ago when I had failed to find Chequered Skipper. I might not have found it (although I self-found many years earlier) without your advice when we bumped into each other in Glen Loy. You did me a favour; a few weeks later someone else returned the favour. Thanks all round.

Jack

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Well Done Neil :) :) :)

We have 13 so far, but what an exciting journey ahead

Debbie

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Phil, Jack and Debbie.

Jack, my exotics include Large Tortoiseshell (5; 3 at Woodhouse Copse, 1 at Newtimber Hill and 1 at Littlehampton Bridge), Camberwell Beauty (1 at RSPB Pulborough) and Queen of Spain (9; 8 at Chichester and 1 at Springhead Hill). I don't include the 2 Black-veined Whites at Stockbridge Down, as captive-bred origin was apparently later admitted to a BC Hants & IOW committee member. So no Monarch yet, but this and Long-tailed Blue are my next best targets.

I think it's worthwhile stating that although an element of 'listing' is inevitable once you've seen the Lion's Share of what's on offer, the real joy of butterflying is the enjoyment of all those associated aspects of the British countryside experienced while in their pusuit, the 'sense of place' they often engender, the study of their fascinating behaviour in ever-increasing detail, the sharing of the experience with similar minds and, high on the list for me personally, their conservation. The British countryside without butterflies would no longer be the British countryside.

Debbie, you are at the start of a very exciting journey. I wish I could do it all again, but like all addicts I now need more and more to satisfy my cravings. Your white SPBFs are the sort of butterflies required to give me the same 'fix' I got from seeing my first Adonis Blue :D . That said, the first Orange Tip sighting of each spring goes a long way to fulfilling that need.

Neil

David M

Post by David M »

Congratulations, Neil.

I would never have risked the trip given the weather forecast but you were brave and it paid off!

PS: Don't be embarrassed - I did exactly the same thing as you last year; turned left and ended up on Irton Pike! Got nice views of the Cumbrian coast and the Isle of Man though, so it wasn't totally without reward.

Podster

Post by Podster »

Glad to be of assistance Neil, great photos as well. Being a Birder I've at least pipped you to the Monarch with 10+ seen from over 30 years of visiting their prime landfall of The Isles of Scilly.
See you on a Scillies twitch in the Autumn maybe. :P

Pod

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Sussex Kipper wrote: ... the real joy of butterflying is the enjoyment of all those associated aspects of the British countryside experienced while in their pusuit, the 'sense of place' they often engender, the study of their fascinating behaviour in ever-increasing detail, the sharing of the experience with similar minds and, high on the list for me personally, their conservation. The British countryside without butterflies would no longer be the British countryside...
I totally agree with this sentiment and could not have put it better.

Well done Neil on your 'full set' and for putting so eloquently into words exactly why I go 'Butterflying' :D

All the best,

Neil F.

selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

nfreem wrote:
Sussex Kipper wrote: ... the real joy of butterflying is the enjoyment of all those associated aspects of the British countryside experienced while in their pusuit, the 'sense of place' they often engender, the study of their fascinating behaviour in ever-increasing detail, the sharing of the experience with similar minds and, high on the list for me personally, their conservation. The British countryside without butterflies would no longer be the British countryside...
I totally agree with this sentiment and could not have put it better.

Well done Neil on your 'full set' and for putting so eloquently into words exactly why I go 'Butterflying' :D

All the best,

Neil F.
Totally agree with both Neil and Nfreem here. I've loved the last 4 years hunting down all the species, but its not been the "tick" that has been so rewarding. It's the amazing countryside, scenery, and other butterfly hunters that I've spoken to.

GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

congrats , well done
just got back from irton/whinn rigg , saw well over 50 ringlets! very good numbers of newly emerged specimens :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Huge congrats Neil! And also a thank you as reading your report made me realise that I'm not the only one that memorises maps wrong and for cheering me up having got back from Slop Bog and seeing nothing...

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Damp Meadows

With the longest day passed and summer in full swing I had to satisfy my desire to see some butterflies by taking a walk around the damp meadows of Southwater Woods this morning (21st June). Having had to abort a trip to the West Country for HBF due to food-poisoning I needed to cheer myself up and get some fresh air. Irrespective of the weather a walk in the countryside is never a waste of time and without other distractions around I set myself the task of photographing the humble Meadow Brown. I don't remember a summer when I've so appreciated this species. Meadow Browns are notoriously skittish and after getting a few reasonable shots I came away in considerably better spirits.
UKB MB Southwater 21.6.12.jpg
UKB MB (1) Southwater 21.6.12.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks David, Podster, Neil, Paul, Phil and Wurzel. After completing the full set I'm back to Meadow Brown. :D
Neil

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil,

Lovely composition in the first shot of a butterfly difficult to photograph well.

Glad to hear you are back on your feet.

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Southwater Woods

On Saturday (23rd June) I managed to fit in a couple of hours at Southwater Woods before begrudgingly heading off for a social engagement. I recognised the two vehicles parked at the eastern entrance to Madgeland, so it came as no surprise when I met Mark Colvin and Colin Knight on a similar mission in the woods. At least 7 brand new Silver-washed Fritillaries were loitering in one small area, with some still drying off their recently unfurled wings. I glimpsed just one White Admiral but there was no sign of the Purple Hairstreak. I'll be surprised if the Emperor shows before the month is out, but he'll emerge on the 30th, just to be awkward.
UKB SWF 1 Southwater 23.6.12.jpg
UKB SWF 2 Southwater 23.6.12.jpg
UKB SWF 3 Southwater 23.6.12.jpg

Gothic_dreams

Post by Gothic_dreams »

Lovely photos of the Silver-washed Fritillaries, especially love the top of the 3 :)

Chris

Return to “Personal Diaries”