frit. ab.

Discussion forum for sightings.
Simon C

frit. ab.

Post by Simon C »

Just back from the Lakes. Had a great time, remarkably only got really wet once in 10 days. Failed to snap a Mountain Ringlet, but saw lots to make up for it. Highlight was a linear walk from Row, across Whitbarrow Scar dropping down to Witherslack and popping in to Meathop Moss. Taxi from Kendal to Row costs £13, and the bus back to Kendal stops on the main road not far from the Moss. I can give more details if anyone is interested. Must be the best butterfly walk in the UK - jumps straight into my top 10 list at joint number 1, alongside Klewenalp in Switzerland, where the Apollos glide past your ears. Literally hundreds of Frits up at Whitbarrow, along with tons of Grayling and what I assume to be Northern Brown Argus. Also Small Copper, Common Blue, many Tortoiseshells, Meadon Brown, Small Heath, Speckled Wood. Then finish off at Meathop with Large Heath. Brilliant.

There is also a small wild flower meadow that is a Cumbrian Wildlife Trust site near the (sadly no longer open) Derby Arms pub at Witherslack, which we popped in to and it had Frits in it too, and the leaflet claims a colony of Northern Brown Argus although we didn't see any. The reserve is called Latterbarrow - not sure if this is actually meant to be the Latterbarrow on the sites page - the map reference there points to a peak called Latterbarrow near Lake Windermere which had nothing of interest on the lep front when we passed through.

Saw Silver-washed, High Brown, Dark Green and Small Pearl Bordered Frits on Whitbarrow. Here's one that certainly catches the eye. My money is on a Dark Green aberation, but I'd be happy to be corrected:

And here's a pair of High Brown Frits caught in the act, one of which has (to my untrained eye) unusual markings:

Simon
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Great stuff Simon - sounds like you had a superb time!

Yes - given the geographic distribution, all Brown Arguses would have been Northern Brown Argus.

I'm sure there's only 1 Latterbarrow - although I've never personally been there. Anyone know what the correct location/info is - and I'll update the sites pages accordingly?

The first photo is, in my opinion, a female Dark Green Fritillary aberration, and the second a female High Brown Fritillary aberration!

Cheers,

- Pete
Chris

Post by Chris »

I was recently at the Latterbarrow next to Windermere and saw numerous large fritillaries (had the wife in tow, so didn't chase them to identify). Maybe there are two!
Simon C

Post by Simon C »

I did some googling and found this link to the Cumbrian Wildlife Trust web page for the reserve, where it mentions NBA. I can vouch for DGF and HBF.

http://www.wildlifetrust.org.uk/cumbria/Reserves/Latterbarrow.htm

The map reference is SD 439 828.

From Chris's report, it seems there are indeed two places in Cumbria called Latterbarrow with butterfly interest.

On the subject of NBA, here are a couple of shots of the same individual taken at Whitbarrow. Can anyone help point out anything in them that distinguishes it from a Brown Argus, or in the absence of a shot of the genetalia or a disection of the internal organs, is one wholly reliant on geographical location?

Thanks.

Simon

Return to “Sightings”