What is this????

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.
Sharon654

What is this????

Post by Sharon654 »

What am i?
What am i?
HI there,

I found these caterpillars on some Hedge Mustard growing by my house and believe they might be Bath Whites? Its the only one i can find that will eat the plant and looks like this??? Any ideas?

Thanks
millerd

Re: What is this????

Post by millerd »

Sharon,

That is a caterpillar of the Large White. They are specially fond of cultivated cabbages and nasturtiums, so hedge mustard is a bit more unusual.

Dave
Sharon654

Post by Sharon654 »

oh.. well not to worry.
At least it will be easier to keep a couple until they change.. kids will love it anyway!

Thank you Dave
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

An interesting observation, Sharon. Although Hedge Mustard is not a Brassica, it does have mustard like flavour. Adults seek out plants which contain mustard oils to lay their eggs as, by eating these leaves, the caterpillars become poisonous and, thus, fairly immune to predators, even though they are quite conspicuous.

I notice that it's your first posting in the forums so, welcome, and I hope you will continue to let is know how they get on - it's great to know that the kids are taking an interest!

Mike
Sharon654

Post by Sharon654 »

Thanks Dave and Mike, the children are big fans of anything that could be labelled as a 'bug' so we having a great time.. just hoping for better weather!

We building a moth trap i found in a bug hunter book next week! So maybe more ID's will be needed..lol

Sharon

Return to “Identification”