Introductions

Discussion forum for conservation of butterflies.
Mark Colvin

Introductions

Post by Mark Colvin »

Introductions

I have recently been searching for the Glanville Fritillary (Melitaea cinxia) and have made several visits to a number of mainland sites, both traditional, and others of more recent establishment.

I, and indeed many others, have been aware for some time of the presence of an unofficial introduction site for M. cinxia in Surrey. This particular colony appears to have survived well in the conditions provided by the location, which in many ways are similar to the undercliff environments found on the Isle of Wight and at the nearby mainland area at Hordle Cliff. Although sand extraction continued over a period of approximately fifty years until 1993, the site currently lies quiet and is filled with an abundance of both aquatic and terrestrial flora and fauna. Landfilling of the eastern sector of the site ceased in 1990. A further unauthorised site, at Sand Point in Somerset, probably died out in around 2000 after their introduction in 1983, but this would appear to have been restocked, or the butterfly having survived in very low numbers, as M. cinxia has been recorded there in 2012.

So, should they be in Surrey?

Historically, M. cinxia has shown a substantial reduction in its range, surviving in any real numbers at traditional locations only on the southern shores of the Isle of Wight, with occasional reports from the nearby mainland. As recently as 1943 it could readily be found at Christchurch in Hampshire and at several places along the Kent and Sussex coast before 1850. With less certainty, it has been recorded from inland localities in Yorkshire, Lincolnshire, Northamptonshire, Wiltshire and Bedfordshire, and even from Fifeshire in Scotland. The Surrey M. cinxia colony, currently in its 10th year, was originally established from 300 larvae from three batches of wild collected webs, which originated from Whale Chine on the Isle of Wight. After release, no adults were seen for 3 years. However, during a cursory inspection of the site, whilst considering the release of their captive cousins as post hibernation larvae, the originator of the colony discovered 39 larval webs. It has been reported that in 2010 the population was huge, with plenty of larval webs covering the site, though numbers dropped in late August of the same year due to the very wet conditions which prevailed. The winter and spring of 2011 looked very poor though the adults emerged and made a good show. Though numbers are generally being reported as low this season, compared to the high of 2010, reports would suggest they are holding their own.

So to answer my question, should they be in Surrey?

I think the simple answer is probably not though there are numerous arguments that could be made for and against such an introduction, including the personal short term satisfaction they give to the onlooker, including myself, though I feel this view may be overlooking the bigger long term conservation picture. I personally don't have a particular problem with re-introducing M. cinxia on the mainland 'providing such releases are approved and backed by appropriate knowledge, research and monitoring', given that a couple of hundred years ago they were found as far north as Lincolnshire. Man has, after all, been responsible for the extermination of many species, never mind colonies, so any efforts to redress the balance is surely to be encouraged.

Others will undoubtedly have a different opinion …
UKBP1050485.JPG
UKBP1050512.JPG
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Re: Introductions

Post by Wurzel »

Some interseting information there Mark - which answered a number of questions that I've been meaning to ask since last year when I first became aware of the Wrecclesham site. I agree entirely with your sentiments (isn't this similar to the Large Blue introduction?) but also should add that people visiting this site means that there will be less trampling on the Isle of Wight's site and surely it's a good idea to have some populations spread in different areas almost as a genetic insurance policy?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
millerd

Post by millerd »

I for one am very grateful for the history of the Surrey colony you have provided - thank you, Mark. As to the rights and wrongs of this kind of introduction? I don't know. They are lovely butterflies, and a joy to observe, but it did somehow feel more satisfactory to see them in Ventnor. A reintroduction to an old haunt (Folkestone Warren?) might seem more acceptable than somewhere completely new.

Dave
David M

Post by David M »

I'm philosophical about this.

Undoubtedly, tinkering with butterfly populations in a wholly artificial way is not something to be encouraged, unless it is done for sound scientific reasons and carried out by experts who have explored all known implications.

That said, I'm less concerned by a cosmetic introduction of a brand new species into a habitat that, actually, is perfectly suitable, than I am for attempted introductions of new stock to 'replenish' existing yet vulnerable populations.

The latter could actually exacerbate the decline of the established population, whereas in the Wrecclesham case, there was no population to be adversely affected in the first place.

I've only been a member of this site for 3 years, but even during that time I'm already aware of:

Failed attempts to reintroduce Chequered Skipper to Lincolnshire
A unauthorised Scotch Argus colony being created near Worksop
Attempts at at least one Black Veined White introduction in the south east
Two artificial mainland populations of Glanville Fritillary
One artificial population of Heath Fritillary
Marbled White release in the Midlands well outside its natural range
Failed Large Copper reintroduction in fenland around Woodwalton
Abortive Marbled Fritillary experiment in woodland in central southern England...

...plus suggestions relating to experimentation with Large Heath populations!

These things happen whether we like them or not.

At Sand Point (and Wrecclesham to an extent), we seem to like them - given that visits to these places are regular events on the calendar. Others are not so welcome but, if they were to result in permanent viable colonies being established, no doubt in time we would probably come to accept them.

At what point do we dispense with opprobrium and start to take a genuine interest?
Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

David M wrote:I'm philosophical about this.
Failed Large Copper reintroduction in fenland around Woodwalton
Unless the management of any site addresses the submersion problem of the dead leaves of the Great Water Dock in which the hibernating larvae spend the winter months, any introductions are doomed to failure.

If they are never totally submerged, dead GWD leaves are as tough as old boots and can resist prolonged rainshowers but, not total submersion for long periods.
Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

[quote="Mark Colvin"]

...So to answer my question, should they be in Surrey?

I think the simple answer is probably not though there are numerous arguments that could be made for and against such an introduction, including the personal short term satisfaction they give to the onlooker, including myself, though I feel this view may be overlooking the bigger long term conservation picture. I personally don't have a particular problem with re-introducing M. cinxia on the mainland 'providing such releases are approved and backed by appropriate knowledge, research and monitoring', given that a couple of hundred years ago they were found as far north as Lincolnshire. Man has, after all, been responsible for the extermination of many species, never mind colonies, so any efforts to redress the balance is surely to be encouraged.

[/quote="Mark Colvin"]

In the case of the Glanville Fritillary, it is confined to a very small geographical area and therefore potentially vulnerable - establishment in other parts of the country would do a good deal to ensure its continued existence in these islands, though I think introductions as a conservation measure really need to be organised by professionals.

Between habitat destruction and climate change, I'm not sure that a species' historic range has any conservation value other than the merely historic. The Black Grouse, for example, used to occur widely across southern England 200 years ago, but it would be absurd to try to re-establish it here now as its habitat no longer exists; whilst a look at the Climatic Risk Atlas suggests the potential range of our butterflies is going to change a good deal.

http://www.pensoft.net/book/10075/clima ... utterflies

Return to “Conservation”