Goldie M

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Goldie M

Re: Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Yesterday the sun was out and the temps were high 17c, we went to Hall-Lee-Brook where I at last saw Orange Tips, Green Veined Whites, Small Whites, no Speckled Wood though, I hope the rain and wind didn't affect them, Oh! not to forget the Peacocks we saw as well :) Then like the Adventures we are we carried on to Yarrow Valley Park, even more Orange Tips.

I also saw a Grey Wagtail ,I've never seen one before so that was a bonus has was the Coot with her babies :D
I must admit though that I thought some of the pics I took were OT, until I checked with your Website (Similar) they turned out to be Male Small White , so thank you very much, it's very helpful. My female Orange Tips are disapointing, at least i'm still in there learning :lol: Goldie M

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've had two good days! May 2nd/3rd. My first was at Hall-Lee-Brook where I took Pics of Orange Tips, (for the first timethis year) Speckled Wood, Tortoise Shell, Peacocks, Green Veined White ,SmallWhite, the sunshine had brought them all out it seemed. There were very few female OT which seemed odd, I suppose they're some where there but I didn't see them.
Then May 3rd we went to Whalley Abbey. The Abbey are part of it is in ruins thanks to Henry the 8th who had it burnt to the ground. Not content he took the lead from the roof which is now on Hampton Court roof (Cheek) Anyway it was a lovely day bwith a cold easterly wind , the Abbey's gardens are sheltered, thats why the Orange Tips like it there. I again saw the Peacock Butterfly, there seems to be alot this year around our area far more than last year and the weather last year was lovely in April. Anyway I'm off now to see if I can find the female OT and GV female. Goldie :)
Attachments
WHR 3rd May 2012 042.JPG
Peacock WA 3rd may 2012 036.JPG
Orange Tip HLB 2nd May 2012 022.JPG
Orange Tip HLB 2nd May 2012 026.JPG

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went to Southport on Monday of this week. In Ainsdale Dunes there were only Green Veined White, Small White , no Common Blue, I thought this very Strange, I just hope their waiting for the warmer weather and they've not got washed away :cry: Goldie
Attachments
Green Veined White Male 6th May 2012 Sefton 030.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went to Gaits Barrow yesterday the 12th May. I managed to see one Duke-Of-Burgandy. Lots of people were there all rather disapointed. The weather wasn't warm, there was a very cold wind, and at one time we thought it may rain . The sky's cleared after lunch and we had a walk. I'd seen the one butterfly so felt better for the journey. When we went back after the walk ,one man said he'd seen one, no one else had. I'd managed to get a long distance picture, I didn't have time to zoom in, the butterfly would fly out and disapear in the grass, so I just pointed the camera and hoped for the best, Which, I'm afraid isn't very good, but I did get a distant image, so I'll chalk that one up until I go back beginning of June. Goldie M :D
Attachments
Duke-Of_Burgandy 12th May 2012 008.JPG

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I've just come back from two weeks holiday, has you can guess i'm pretty busy now sorting out my Pic's etc , today however I went up to Gates Barrow because the weather was so nice and to my amazement i took these Photo's of a "White Pearl Bordered Fritilary". A man at the car park said there was a Latin name for it and I should find it out right away. I don't know if any one else as seen one up there , I've not had a chance to check everybodies posts this week with being away, I just couldn't wait to get it in my Diary :D I think there were two of them, besides my husband and myself another man saw it and even pointed it out to me, he said he just liked to look at Butterflies he had binoculars, (think thats how you spell it) I also took photos of the DOB, Normal PB and Small PB also there was a Large Skipper and a Dingy Skipper. Anyway here's the photo's I took of the WPBF Goldie. :D I've loads of Questions about differant things to ask but I'll have to get sorted out first :lol:
Attachments
082.JPG
102.JPG
089.JPG

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

stunner!

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Thanks Chris, any Idea of it's Latin name Goldie :?: :)

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Wow and wow!

I think that's a small pearl-bordered fritillary, ab. alba.

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/research-curation/ ... xonID=8717

Guy

AND you have two different individuals there! That is just fantastic Goldie!! :D

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

You very lucky thing... what a beauty, and well caught on camera :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Well done on you`re aberration SPB Goldie, what a beauty.

All the best,

nICK.

David M

Post by David M »

This is proving a good year for images of abs on here.

Excellent find, Goldie.

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Lovely looking butterflies Goldie, simply stunning, and 2 different individuals as well.

Well done,

Neil F.

David M

Post by David M »

padfield wrote:
AND you have two different individuals there!
'Guy's Eyes' see things other folks' eyes cannot.

How can you tell those two SPBFs are different individuals?
Last edited by David M on Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

:D I think Neil's eyes spotted it too...

There are lots of small differences but one which certainly can't be accounted for by different lighting, exposure &c. is the shape of the hollow oval in the forewing cell.

Very impressed!

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Guy has covered it, to me the markings on the individual in the centre photo look different to those in the other two shots.

Cheers,

Neil F.

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

What a great day for you, Goldie, and very well photographed too! It would be interesting to know the sequence of the photos as the middle one is clearly very different - less pale and different markings.

Mike

millerd

Post by millerd »

What a lovely find - has to be the butterfly of the year for me.

Congratulations!

Dave

David M

Post by David M »

nfreem wrote:Guy has covered it, to me the markings on the individual in the centre photo look different to those in the other two shots.

Cheers,

Neil F.
I thought we were just comparing the first and third? I didn't realise number 2 was alba as well?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

2012 Butterfly Of The Year. One per lifetime is lucky. Two is just greedy. Congratulations Goldie. :D
Neil

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Well done, and how lovely for us to be able to see the photographs - very interesting. Thank You. :)

Debbie

Return to “Personal Diaries”