Problems with SD card

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Ian Pratt

Problems with SD card

Post by Ian Pratt »

I have just returned from two weeks’ holiday in Provence with my wife. I took only one SanDisk SDHC 8GB card which I filled after a week as it was on the RAW +JPEG setting! (I have downloaded these on Lightroom and can see and manipulate them.)
Therefore I had to buy another card in a large supermarket for 6.90 euros. It is a SanDisk 8GB SDHC card which shows the pictures on my camera and on a digital photo frame, but refuses to download them on Lightroom.
I am at a loss to know what the problem is.
Any ideas?
The “good “ card has a number 2 on in a circle whereas the “bad” card has a 4 on in a circle. The cards appear to be almost identical otherwise.
Any help would be appreciated.:?:
Ian
dilettante

Re: Problems with SD card

Post by dilettante »

How are you doing the upload to lightroom? Are you connecting the camera to the computer, our do you use a card reader? If you are using a card reader, can you see the files on the card? In other words, is it lightroom refusing to upload the files, or is it that the computer can't see the files in the first place?
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

I am using a card reader and Lightroom is saying the files are not photos! :?:
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Strange. Can Windows (if that's what you're using) read the files ok? For example, can you open the JPEG with explorer? Did your camera come with some software, and if so can it view the files?
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Ian Pratt wrote:Any help would be appreciated.
First: don't panic - the pics are definitely there! The numbers you refer to simply indicate the 'speed' of the card - newer cards write and read faster and have higher numbers in the circle.

Did you format the card in the camera when you first used it? The camera may write some 'housekeeping' info on the card as well as the photos. What setting did you use for the new card:- RAW or JPEG and what make is your camera?

With a card reader connected to your computer, use Windows explorer to find the folders on the card and identify the folder which contains your photos. If they are JPEGs, does explorer display 'thumbnails' of you photos correctly? If so, copy the files to a directory on your hard drive and see if Lightroom will work on them from there. You could also try viewing the files in the free IrfanView software, which can cope with a very wide range of file formats and can convert between formats, so you could use this program to create files that Lightroom can read.

If all else fails, try the free Zero Assumption Recovery software, which will scan the card for any image data. It can even recover deleted files and those on an accidentally re-formatted card - a real 'get out of jail' program! See http://www.z-a-recovery.com/digital-image-recovery.htm for more information.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you need more info.

Mike
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

Thanks for the helpful reply.
I did not format the card before using it.
My camera is a Panasonic Lumix FZ38.
The photos are saved as either RAW only or large JPEGs.
I have saved the photos to a folder called "my pictures" but Lightroom refuses to download them from that location.
I have just taken some photos this afternoon on a Canon DSLR with a CF card and it refuses to dowload those too. Could it be the card reader although the photos are displayed on the preview panel in Lightroom okay?
I am baffled!
Thanks for your help so far.
Ian
Ian Pratt

Post by Ian Pratt »

All sorted now. Something to do with the back up destination which was a full external hard disk. Once I changed that to another external hard disk, hey presto. Thanks for all the help. I have learnt something. :D
Ian
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Excellent news! Windows can be very remiss in reporting when disks or memory are full.

Mike

Return to “Photography”