Epic Butterfly Walk!

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
sami

Re: Epic Butterfly Walk!

Post by sami »

Hello all!

We have been on the toad (and track, hill, footpath...!) for three days now. Tonight we cooked noodles over a fire and had hot Bovril afterwards. The birds are singing in the evening sunshine and our clothes are airing after this morning's downpour!!

We've made good progress and we're now about an hour's walk from Truro. We're proud of ourselves!! Everyone we've met has been so supportive :) we're both feeling achy but stronger and are staring to get into a rhythm which is making each mile a lot easier.

Every time we look at the map and see how far we've come we feel a huge sense of achievement, and it only highlights how massive this challenge is. Please tell everyone you know about our epic honeymoon walk for butterflies in the knowledge that every pound raised will make each step that bit more bearable.

We love you all :)

Sami Gibson

Ps Seth lost his wedding ring this morning! :(
Good thing we have insurance :)
Please sponsor us on our honeymoon adventure raising money for Butterfly Conservation!
www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk
:)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Sami:
Ps Seth lost his wedding ring this morning! :(
A century or so ago, it would have been the bride who lost something soon after getting married..... :) :wink:

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

sami wrote:Hello all!

We have been on the toad (and track, hill, footpath...!) for three days now. Tonight we cooked noodles over a fire and had hot Bovril afterwards. The birds are singing in the evening sunshine and our clothes are airing after this morning's downpour!!

We've made good progress and we're now about an hour's walk from Truro. We're proud of ourselves!! Everyone we've met has been so supportive :) we're both feeling achy but stronger and are staring to get into a rhythm which is making each mile a lot easier.
Respect. You'll never get another chance to do this so make the most of it.

A mile only takes 20 minutes to cover and you've less than 1,000 to go!
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Or only 14 days if you're not planning on stopping :wink:
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

David M wrote:You'll never get another chance to do this so make the most of it.
What rubbish is this??? We're planning next year's stroll already! :lol:

Actually we are currently enjoying a rest day at St Blazey with our good friend Danny The Pirate. Back to the roads again soon enough though! Only managed 60 miles so far, we're still breaking ourselves in slowly. Despite our 'special' socks we both have our first blisters - Sami's boots suddenly gave up the ghost and fell to bits so she's breaking in a new pair, hence a blister over her right big toe and another over her right little toe. I've a really annoying blister under my right little toe. But Sami's ankle has held up surprisingly well, just a couple of twinges so far which is a huge relief.

Major event (for me, at least!) was the sighting of a large, black animal seen at 250 metre range in the rain. It was sat in the middle of the lane facing away from us then started to walk directly away from us. It rounded a corner and was lost to view. Despite quickly arriving at the spot, we failed to see any signs of the mystery animal. We also failed to find any dogs, dogwalkers or black sheep for the next few miles. I'm reckoning we saw a Black Panther. Sami isn't convinced, but she didn't watch it as closely as I did...a couple of hours later we were sitting out a cloudburst in a pub and chatting to the locals. I asked one guy if there had been any big cat sightings in the area. He said yes, in fact he'd seen one himself!!

But he probably says that to all the tourists! :wink:

Butterfly-wise we had an amazing first day with regular sightings of Wall from Land's End car park and inland over the hilltops to Sancreed. In the heavily flowered gullies we found lots of whites, mostly Large Whites and Small Whites with a few Green-veined Whites thrown in too. Occasional Speckled Woods were noted as were Speckled Yellow and Silver Y moths. Epiphyas postvittana is everywhere!

Day 2 was from Penzance onwards and moving through more rolling countryside we added Orange-tips to the tally, alongside more Large, Small and Green-veined Whites.

Day 3 mostly rained (but we saw the putative panther!) Despite the poor conditions we added Holly Blue to the tally.

Day 4 was cold, so cold in fact that we failed to see a single butterfly! :shock:

Day 5 was hot and we were relieved to see that butterflies did, in fact, still exist in Cornwall! We also noted the spectacular looking cuckoo bee Nomada flava.

So we have a day off now - blister plasters in place, talcum powder at the ready! And it seems we've sourced a metal detector to help find my lost wedding ring back in Praze-an-Beeble! Bee-eaters are sweeping across England at the moment, we actually passed through a village which is hosting a Hoopoe in a private garden (we couldn't find it despite peering all over the place) so things are anything but slack.

Nearly forgot, we explored Caer Bran's Neolithic village. I disappeared into an underground chamber and discovered the walls were covered in Goblin's Gold!!!! For those who aren't familiar, Goblin's Gold is a species of moss with uniquely reflective protonema cells which glow a bright, luminous green colour. I called Sami down to join me, her video (and awed reaction!) can be viewed on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRCJC4TCtKY

Keep on spreading the news, folks. We've topped £1300 so far but there's still a VERY long way to go!

Cheers for now

Seth and Sami :D
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

"Stay on the road. Keep clear of the moors. Beware the moon"
pub wasn't the slaughtered lamb was it :lol:

chris
David M

Post by David M »

Now, Seth, if you'd taken that bloody camera you could have solved the mystery of large cat sightings in the south west!
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

(but we saw the putative panther!)
Cripes Seth. You had me searching the dictionary for the meaning of putative. Did you go to posh school where they learned you to talk proper like? Know what I mean.

For the other ignoramuses, putative:

Adj. 1. putative - purported; commonly put forth or accepted as true on inconclusive grounds; "the foundling's putative father"; "the putative author of the book"
acknowledged - recognized or made known or admitted; "the acknowledged leader of the community"; "a woman of acknowledged accomplishments"; "his acknowledged error"

Jack
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

Jack Harrison wrote:For the other ignoramuses, putative:

Adj. 1. putative - purported; commonly put forth or accepted as true on inconclusive grounds; "the foundling's putative father"; "the putative author of the book"
acknowledged - recognized or made known or admitted; "the acknowledged leader of the community"; "a woman of acknowledged accomplishments"; "his acknowledged error"

Jack
Thanks Jack :!: :lol:
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Gibster wrote:Major event (for me, at least!) was the sighting of a large, black animal seen at 250 metre range in the rain.
Wow! If you're seeing things like this after only 60 miles, what might there be by the time you're in Scotland? .... Wolf packs, Sabre-tooth Tigers???

I wait with baited breath for more reports! :D :D

Mike
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Well, we've managed to finally find an internet cafe!

The putative panther seems to have caused a stir, but it simply pales into insignificance alongside our ghostly encounter on a quiet lane, miles from anywhere....are you sitting comfortably? Then I shall begin... :)

We'd just clambered up a particularly punishing hill and had gratefully collapsed into the gateway of a field for a five minute rest break. Drinks and dried apricots at the ready, we were quietly chatting when we heard footsteps approaching from up the lane. A large, very thick hedge obscured our view down the lane - recessed in the gateway as we were - so we couldn't see the approaching walker although he was clearly a large fellow judging by the sound of his approach.

Just before he hove into view the footsteps suddenly ceased. Puzzled, we both stopped chatting and looked up to see why the person had stopped. There was nobody there! Before we could say anything the footsteps were BEHIND us and very heavy sounding indeed, as if a horse were walking right past our backs! Spinning around we viewed an empty field. Mystified, and a little on edge by now, we peered into the field for signs of the person. I jumped the gate and ran into the middle of the field...a single rabbit was all, not even a horse, cow or sheep and certainly no person.

So - what was it then? Not imagination, we both clearly heard footsteps come to within ten feet of us, maybe a bit less. Then they stopped. Five seconds later they were directly behind us in an empty field and they had passed THROUGH THE MIDDLE of a mature, very thick hedgerow!!!!

Panthers, ghost walkers, steep hills...I can hardly wait to see what Devon has to offer us!! :lol:

We've been taking it easy so far, still breaking ourselves in so to speak. Marsland on the Cornwall/Devon border is just a few more miles ahead of us, home to PBF and SPBF, Dingy and Grizzled Skippers. We met up with Cornwall BC at Phil Harris' PBF walk at St Breward and arrived to something of a hero's welcome!! :D with several participants chucking pennies into the charity pot swinging from Sami's pack. We had a quick photo session, then we tried to persuade them to start a Facebook page. Hopefully they will. Oh, the butterflies! We managed about 6 or 7 Pearl-bordered Fritillaries including a pair in cop, something we hadn't witnessed before. Then the clouds came over and put an end to play.

Large and Green-veined Whites are commonplace, Small Whites and Orange-tips less so, but still regular. Walls are all along the coastal strips, we saw a Common Blue yesterday, our first of the year. We've seen Peacocks and Speckled Woods but not much else yet. Fox Moths are common whizzing across the maritime heath in the evenings. I had a very probable Black Kite, but the views were just too brief which is exasperatingly annoying as I've never self-found one in Britain before (despite stringing various Marsh Harriers/Buzzards over the years! :lol: ) but I really do feel that this was the real deal. Grrrrrrr. There's been an influx of Bee-eaters, Golden Orioles and various Mediterranean waifs and strays this last week (some of my friends twitched the Cream-coloured Courser yesterday, low-listing scummers - I don't need it! :D ) so a Black Kite down here is entirely feasible. Sigh...

Anyway - places to go, butterflies to see! Hoping to bump into Rogerdodge in a few day's time (sorry for the delay - we took a couple of day's break with our Pirate mate in St Blazey!) where we can swap stories over a beer or three. Then we'll be heading across Exmoor and heading towards Sand Point's Glanvilles and Bristol before crossing into Wales to begin the Offa's Dyke Path northwards.

Time to stop ambling and put some serious mileage behind us!!!

Cheers for now,

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

Fascinating update that, Seth. Might be an idea to take note of the place you had the spooky experience at and then see if there's any history behind the location (battle site, witches burned, etc).
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Top of a hill? Gallows maybe.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Well
Last Friday Sami and Seth turned up (invited and expected I must add) on my doorstep in North Devon.
We live just a few miles off the planned route, and I had offered them a bed for the night, food, beer, laundry and a shower/bath.
We had a brilliant time with them - such lovely and enthusiastic people. They have already got a whole host of fascinating stories from the walk - and they have only "done" two counties!
What they are doing is rightly described as "Epic"
They WILL NOT use any form of transport. My offer to meet them en-route, drive them to my place, and then back again in the a.m. was politely refused.

They are doing this end to end walk very seriously.

They are raising good money for BC, and need OUR help.
Here is what we can all do.

1/ Visit the http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or TEXT Walk 80 £5 to 70070

If you live close by the route (basically hugging the west side of England/Scotland, then up the Great Glen) then, contact them (p.m. on this forum - Sami regularly visits via her treasured IPhone.) and offer food, accommodation, companionship, beer, or whatever. Even just walking with them for a few hours would be excellent (for them AND you)

One thing we did that was well appreciated was to deliver one of their rucksacks (and some fresh food and drink) to that day's destination, meaning they only had to carryy one for the whole day. I am sure many of you could help with that!!

They are really doing this adventure on a shoestring and NEED our help.
Any time spent with this admirable couple will not be wasted. They are an inspiration and great value.

If you have contacts with local/national press or television, then there is a good news story in Seth and Sami for them.
Attachments
Washed, Laundered, Fed, Watered and Well Rested
Washed, Laundered, Fed, Watered and Well Rested
Cheers

Roger
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

HAHAHA! Thanks for that Roger, I'm sure Sami will love that pic when she checks in on her beloved iphone :wink:

Seriously though folks, we really are doing this all on a shoestring and a chat with my boss earlier this morning didn't go as well as I'd hoped... :(

Roger and his lovely wife Rose were the perfect hosts, we couldn't have expected or asked for better. Thankyou once again for being so amaaaazingly hospitable.

Butterflywise - yesterday (29th) we saw a Painted Lady nectaring on Red Valerian in Dunster town centre, quite severely damaged and looking rather odd with just two and a half wings remaining! Between Dunster and Watchet we counted over 30 Walls, 10 Holly Blues, 2 fresh looking Red Admirals, a few Peacocks, lots of Green-veined and Small Whites, numerous Orange-tips, a couple of Large Whites, lots of Speckled Woods and then, up on top of the Quantock Hills we saw at least 6 Small Heaths in the heathery areas and another Painted Lady nectaring on daisies.

Sami found a Purple Hairstreak larva wandering across the tarmac beneathy a large oak tree just outside Landkey a few days earlier, off to pupate no doubt.

It's still too blooming hot by a mile, but we're struggling onwards. Sami's ankle is almost better now so we hope to pack a few more miles in each day. Stay tuned for more updates, and keep on donating!!!!!

Cheers All,

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Gibster: seriously though folks, we really are doing this all on a shoestring and a chat with my boss earlier this morning didn't go as well as I'd hoped... :(
I wouldn't imagine anyone on ukb would think it a failure if Force Majeure reared its ugly head and you are obliged to complete the walk in stages over several years. Mind you, a youngster in a baby carrier backpack would slow you down quite a bit :D

Jack
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

Hello Seth and Sami,
I imagine I am not the only one on UKB who agrees with Jack. If there are issues at work and the boss is really unhappy at your prolonged absence, then you may be forced to reconsider your position. In these days of high unemployment you may have to rethink your walk and plan to do it in stages over three or four years to suit the needs of your employer, but at the same time fulfilling your joint ambition and your objective to support Butterfly Conservation. It will still be a marvelous achievement that we can all admire. Whatever you decide it needs to be right for you both.
Best wishes
dave
sami

Post by sami »

Dear all!
Just to clear up a few things... When it comes to my job I pretty much have open leave, within reason, they know what I'm doing and fully support me. Seth says his boss would like him back earlier than is realistic but is still allowing him time off, all it means is that the earlier we finish the walk, the sooner we get back to work and sort out our finances. BUT WE WILL NOT BE ABANDONING THE WALK so no more speculation!!
Our tight rules on no transport etc would be pointless if we decided to do the walk in sections. We intend to do this as our honeymoon, as a whole, hell for leather, in one hit. If that means living off supernoodles for 3 months then so be it! It means a lot to me personally to do this as it is a bit of a family tradition (coming as I do from a long line of soldiers) and as much as I respect those who choose to do the walk in sections, we're simply not two of those people.
Stubborn, dedicated, aching and smelly, we'll make it to the end.
And raise bucketloads for BC as we do it!!
Please sponsor us on our honeymoon adventure raising money for Butterfly Conservation!
www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk
:)
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Sami
Well said.

Respect.
Cheers

Roger
David M