2nd Camera

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Debbie

2nd Camera

Post by Debbie »

I have a Canon 500d DSLR and 3 lens. This is my first digital camera and I am loving learning how to use it as well as the whole new world of butterflies and insects that comes with it.

However, I am going somewhere on a trip soon, where I am not able to take all the above with me.

Do other DSLR users every find that an issue and do you have a second camera compact or bridge.

My first instinct is the Canon SX40 super zoom camera. I notice several use the lumix bridge cameras.

What would you recommend ?

Many thanks Debbie :)
MikeOxon

Re: 2nd Camera

Post by MikeOxon »

I have a similar situation and use a Lumix TZ5 (current model is TZ30) as a pocketable and very versatile travel camera.

I have also used a Lumix FZ18 (current models are FZ48/150). The FZ series is much bulkier than the TZ but very lightweight and has an electronic viewfinder and very long zoom. You would need to see how you get on with an electronic finder and also sample the much slower operation of a compact compared with your SLR. I have missed loads of grab shots when travelling because I am not used to the slow start of a compact! Picture quality on these cameras is great, providing you do not try to crop too much or indulge in 'pixel peeping'. They use lots of electronic processing tricks to hide image noise when viewed at normal size.

As a further thought: if you already have, and are used to using, Canon software then you might find it convenient to get the Canon equivalents to these cameras.

Mike
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

The one problem that I find with my Canon SX20 is the inability to manual focus. The auto focus has a tendency to focus on the bright flower and leave the dull butterfly in a soft focus. The camera does have an electronic manual focus but I have never been able to use it in the field, I am sure that it will work for macro shots of a dead moth. I got myself a Canon 7D to solve these problems but then I find that I am in the same situation as you and just bang away with lots of shots with the SX20 and hope that one will be good enough for me to identify the insect. Having said that, I find the SX20 is a good camera for everything except our hobby. If Canon made a 20x zoom compact camera with a lens that could be manually focused and take filters then I would buy one.
Glostopcat

Post by Glostopcat »

I have the Canon Ixus 107 which i'd highly recommend. It is very small and would easily fit in a pocket. It takes very good macros and I've taken many good pictures of butterflies with it since I bought it just over a year ago
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Many thanks for your comments, it really helps to know what people think and you get the best review. It was really interesting to read. :)

I am swaying towards the zoom bridges, but i need to pop and get the shop to let me have a play.

Thanks Debbie
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Here is a thought.
Perhaps your camera equipment should dictate what luggage you take - not the other way around.........
:lol:
Northern Spain - two SLR Bodies, 4 lenses (including 500mm) Laptop and external hardrive, Tripod.

Toothbrush, One T Shirt, one spare pair of pants.
:lol: :lol:
Cheers

Roger
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Is this a boy / girl thing :lol: :lol: :lol: :?: :?: :?:
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

I went and had a look at the bridge cameras and all your advice was good advice; I have now decided that the bridge camera is not for me. Mike you were so right to advice me about the electronic view finder :) :) :) , it is not a feature that I like :( :( :( . The ease of using my DSLR is also I thing that I really like and the bridge camera was not as comfortable to use. John R after the demo the helpful lady gave me, I can see what you mean about focusing issues. For these reasons I will just borrow one of the familys compact for this trip and stay with my DSLR. I still have so much to learn, so when I go to the flower show I will just have to manage with one lens, Any ideas which one is the best? Thanks again, Debbie :) :) :)

Return to “Photography”