May 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
ScottD

Re: May 2012

Post by ScottD »

selbypaul wrote:Also at Glasdrum was a single Marsh Fritillary,
Paul, do you by any chance have a photo & a grid ref for this?
An MF in Glasdrum NNR is highly unusual, the reserve manager thinks that the last record there dates back to the '90s (I mentioned your post to him today).

Anyway, a good day was had today at Glasdrum - something like 50 species of moth trapped overnight incl. a few new for the site.
~20 Chequered Skipper in the way leave.
A mix of PBF & SPBF in good nos.
Speckled Wood.
Various whites.
All very active in the sweltering heat (27/28C) & not being photo friendly.

After that I went a bit further north on the coast road & saw ~25 Marsh Frits, 2 possible Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk Moths & my first Small Heaths of the year.
Not a bad day :D
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Had a sweltering walk around Old Winchester Hill yesterday and the butterflies were out in force despite the baking heat. Small Heaths were almost uncountable - I got to sixty five in an hour or so then stopped! Good numbers of common blues and nine Dukes made the trip a very pleasurable - despite the presence of ticks - damn things. Following the thread of Speckled Wood numbers I did see two but I would agree that they have been noticeably fewer than I would have expected - did have one in my kitchen yesterday which looked very fresh! Mark :D
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

With a plan to see and photo Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries, me and Isabella teamed up with Wurzel and Kitty at Bentley Wood. The weather appears to have gone from one extreme to the other so the butterflies were plentiful but very flighty :roll: :wink: . And although we were having a smashing time, Wurzel was grabbing all the best shots …. the butterflies just would not sit still for me :mrgreen: . Other factors such as a full sandisk card :oops: didn’t help matters nor did the distraction of day-flying moths (I have been on two moth nights already and an extensive polka-dot pattern of bites and stings to prove it :lol: ticks out too beware :!: )
Argent and Sable was a first for me :D
Argent and Sable (female?)
Argent and Sable (female?)
Butterflies seen were:- Pearl-bordered Fritillaries and Small Pearl-bordered Fritillaries (lots, the latter in flight reliably identified by their less faded appearance); Brimstone 6; 2; Orange-tip 2; Speckled Wood 4; Small Heath 12+; Peacock 1; Dingy Skipper 2 and Grizzled Skipper (no Green Hairstreaks for Wurzel). Only the Grizllies were obliging for their photos.
C 2012.05.26 P20107 Grizzled Skipper, Bentley Wood (best).jpg
D 2012.05.26 DSCF1129 Grizzled Skipper, Bentley Wood.jpg
As the day progressed and we cooked in the sun, a drink of coffee from Wurzels survival flask was a relief :) . Not so welcome was an attempted smash and grab of my mobile phone which was foolishly left on the back seat of my old Peugeot 106 at the Eastern Clearing car park. The lock of the front passenger door had been forced (screwdriver) and although they didn’t get in the door lock cannot be operated by the key anymore :roll: :( So unexpected in such a seemingly remote and idyllic setting … it just goes to show you need to be on your guard all the time. A warning sticker in the window of another car in the park illustrates the problem.
F IMG_3438.JPG
By late afternoon I was hoping the temperature would cool, but it didn’t do so by much. Nevertheless a couple of reasonable upper wing shots nicely show the difference of these two related species.
Small Pearl-bordered
Small Pearl-bordered
Pearl-bordered
Pearl-bordered
Small Pearl-bordered
Small Pearl-bordered
Buttyman Col

Post by Buttyman Col »

Inspired by Willrow's posting last weekend, included Aberbargoed Grasslands in the itinerary for a big day out from Derby yesterday and was delighted I did - c20 fresh Marsh Frits and c10 fresh Small PBs made for a memorable visit.

Sites visited during the day:-

Haugh Wood, Herefordshire (W White and PB Frit apparently thriving)
Ewyas Harold Common, Herefordshire (more PBFs and a teasing sighting of G Skipper before the wind blew it away from us)
Aberbargoed Grasslands (see above plus Dingy Skipper, Common Blue etc)
Rodborough Common (Adonis Blue, Small Blue, Dukes, Brown Argus etc)
Crickley Hill Country Park (2 wall Browns at 6.40 pm!)

21 species between 9 a.m. and 6.40 p.m. but bizarrely no Speckled Wood or Green Hairstreak! Small Tort and Comma also missed but a brilliant day that will live in the memory for many years.

Col B
Colin B
David M

Post by David M »

Buttyman Col wrote:Inspired by Willrow's posting last weekend, included Aberbargoed Grasslands in the itinerary for a big day out from Derby yesterday and was delighted I did - c20 fresh Marsh Frits and c10 fresh Small PBs made for a memorable visit.

Sites visited during the day:-

Haugh Wood, Herefordshire (W White and PB Frit apparently thriving)
Ewyas Harold Common, Herefordshire (more PBFs and a teasing sighting of G Skipper before the wind blew it away from us)
Aberbargoed Grasslands (see above plus Dingy Skipper, Common Blue etc)
Rodborough Common (Adonis Blue, Small Blue, Dukes, Brown Argus etc)
Crickley Hill Country Park (2 wall Browns at 6.40 pm!)

21 species between 9 a.m. and 6.40 p.m. but bizarrely no Speckled Wood or Green Hairstreak! Small Tort and Comma also missed but a brilliant day that will live in the memory for many years.

Col B
Wow. That's some itinerary.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Our first stop yesterday was Moss field where we saw 2 male and 2 female orange tips. We then proceeded up the road to Brown Moss nature reserve again 2 males and 2 females orange tips and a delightful solitary small copper. Then early evening Whixall Moss where we saw female orangetip, a very tatty peacock and very fast flying yellow brimstones. The picture of the brimstone was taken with me chasing it as it darted from place to place at high speed; It is moving when I took the picture (they never landed whilst we were there)

Debbie :) :) :)
Attachments
IMG_3226 - Copy.JPG
IMG_3252 - Copy.JPG
F9 1/4000  ISO 3200 100mm Lens
F9 1/4000 ISO 3200 100mm Lens
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

DMS wrote:The picture of the brimstone was taken with me chasing it as it darted from place to place at high speed; It is moving when I took the picture (they never landed whilst we were there)
A great way to get upperside shot of Brimstones Debbie :) . This was taken last year at Old Winchester Hill with a little Nikon compact. With better camera set up I expect you could get sharper pics.
RSCN5152 Old winchester hill 01.08.11.jpg
Phil
Hugh Middleton

Post by Hugh Middleton »

What a difference a few days make.
The Lincs Limewoods were alive this afternoon with Marsh Fritillaries - saw 23 in an hour plus several Dingy Skippers.
Hope you got there yesterday selbypaul.
Several Orange Tips and Brimstone and though Speckled Wood were reported have still to see one this year.
Snakeholme produced a single Brown Argus.

Hugh
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Today I set out for a long days butterflying, with three targets in mind.
Dukes - I have seen them already this year at Heyshott, but I was with friends requiring some photography tuition, and there were lots of other photographers there, and I wanted to spend some time quietly with my favourite butterfly.
Glanvilles - although they are an introduction, I still enjoy the Sand Point Glannies, and they seem to be pretty well estab lished.
Heath Frit - My numberr 2 favourite bitterfly. I planned to visit at least two Exmoor sites today. Essex HFs are on the wing, so mine might be also..........

Buckland Wood in Somerset is a great site. Just a few minutes off the M5 at Wellington (J26) there is a fabulous peace about this place. Today I was (unusually) the only person there. For a while I just sat, resting on an old ant hill, and enjoying the warblers (garden, black cap, willow and chiffchaff) Whilst I was relaxing a Green Woodpecker came down close by me and started searching the ant hills - it must have missed a heart beat when it spotted me and yaffled off into the trees.
The Dukes were in excellnt form, at least 6 males (no females seen) beating each other up on a regular basis with repeated spirallinmg up out of view. They were joined by both Grizzled and Dingy Skippers, and a handful of Common Blue (including the most superb "blue" female that did not want to pose for me - shame). A solitary, high level, Green Hairstreak was (surprisingly) a first of the year of the year for me. Small and Green-veined whites were also there, along with a transparent (it was sooooo old) Peacock. A Coma at the top of the reserve was a welcome sight.

Then off to Sand Point. The peace here was sadly ruined by a couple of kids and thier dad racing around the marsh below me on a smokey old two-stroke moped. It made a god awful racket, and thankfully broke down after about an hour, only to start again half an hour later (somebody was too good a mechanic I think!!!)
However, the Glannies did not disapoint. Probably twenty individuals seen over a 400 yard stretch, with the greatest concentration at the open area almost directly south of the trig point. Also Speckled Wood, Brimstone, Small Heath and lots of Brown Argus. A fly by male Orange Tip on the mpath up, and a Wall up at the top. A single tatty Red Admiral and a Small Copper bought the days tally to 16 species.

Now - despite hearing of the Essex Heath Frits flying today, I can tell you that the Exmoor Heath Frits are still tucked up in thier pupal cases. I visited three sites, and saw nothing at all. My guess is another week at least. However - I shall be in Scotland then, and will have to wait for the middle of June to see them again.

A lovely day - sunburned, achy, and tired. Blissfull.
Attachments
Gl;an_edited-1.jpg
Duke_edited-1.jpg
Cheers

Roger
A_T

Post by A_T »

Fenns and Whixall Moss today.

Green Hairstreak, Brimstone and Common Blue all plentiful. One Small Tortoiseshell and one battered Speckled Wood.
David M

Post by David M »

Needed to compensate for time spent butterflying lately by knuckling down with my studies for my exam in a couple of weeks. However, in the late afternoon my recently moved in housemate and I were sat on the patio enjoying the warmth and sunshine when I noticed a Red Kite flying unusually low. We had a barbecue last night and there was still some meat left, so we thought it might be an idea to throw a chunk of steak and a large slice of liver onto the shed roof in the crazy hope that this bird might swoop down.

Unbelievably, withing two minutes it did precisely that, zooming less than six feet above our heads to grab the chunk of steak (which it promptly dropped due to the harassment from the local crow population).

I'm actually wondering whether it might be an idea to throw a large piece of uncooked meat onto the shed and sit and wait with a camera next time we see the Kites circling (which is regularly).

Can anyone recommed what would be best to use?
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

....an idea to throw a large piece of uncooked meat.....
Actually, many small pieces would be better.
I understand that they are scavangers, and don't have the equipment to tear large morsels apart.
I would suggest regular feeding for a fair while before tryimg to photograph. They are pretty wary creatures.
Good luck with it.
I can't wait to see your results.

Incidentally - there is a better, and cheaper (IMHO) place in Wales to photograph Red Kite than at Gigrin Farm.
Llandeusant
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=27 ... &A=Y&Z=115
Attachments
Llandeusant
Llandeusant
Cheers

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks, Roger. We'll definitely try it again but we wondered whether smaller titbits would be snapped up by the crows or the gulls. A large piece would need to be carried off using talons rather than beak.

The sight of this bird travelling at speed just 6 feet above my head was something to behold. I'm amazed it came down with the pair of us sat so close to the shed.
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Had planned to visit a few sites in the meon valley today but a kids football tournament intervened - damn. So i consoled my self with an early visit to a small site close by where I discovered a VERY small colony of small blue last year. The site is just a short track about 150m long on Portsdown hill. It was a site I used to visit about 40 years ago as a kid and at that time there were no SB there. Last year I found a small number in a very short length - two small sections only about 10m long each - supported by around just 20 kidney vetch plants. The maximum I saw at any one time was about six adults but I did manage to count around 40 eggs at one point. The colony must be very vulnerable because of the lack of food plant. So far this year despite frequent visits no adults have shown. So i set my stall this morning to search for eggs. As I took hold of the first flower Lo and behold within six inches of my fingers was a pristine female - result! As I watched I spotted two other males so the colony survives for another year at least. It is a good distance from the well known colony in the chalk pits and there may be others but I am sure this one normally goes unnoticed - so much so I consider it mine! I will see if I can get some photos now I know they are still there :D mark
The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

David M wrote:The sight of this bird travelling at speed just 6 feet above my head was something to behold
Red Kites have become common in Oxfordshire, following the Chilterns release scheme. Inevitably, there are now some complaints about the numbers, including reports from a Primary School where the Kites were stealing lunch boxes! They have been seen picking up a chicken carcase from the road, after it was dropped during rubbish collection.

The spread of large birds of prey in recent years is amazing. I used to associate Buzzards with Wales and the West Country but now see them frequently from my home. Sparrowhawks have become frequent, if somewhat unwelcome, visitors to the garden and Hobbies sometimes swoop low over the shrubs when the Maybugs (cockchafers) are flying.

Mike
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

Hugh Middleton wrote:What a difference a few days make.
The Lincs Limewoods were alive this afternoon with Marsh Fritillaries - saw 23 in an hour plus several Dingy Skippers.
Hope you got there yesterday selbypaul.
Several Orange Tips and Brimstone and though Speckled Wood were reported have still to see one this year.
Snakeholme produced a single Brown Argus.

Hugh
Hi Hugh
Couldn't make it last week, but still got another week off work, so aim to go sometime this week, probably Friday given the weather forecast
Paul
selbypaul

Post by selbypaul »

ScottD wrote:
selbypaul wrote:Also at Glasdrum was a single Marsh Fritillary,
Paul, do you by any chance have a photo & a grid ref for this?
An MF in Glasdrum NNR is highly unusual, the reserve manager thinks that the last record there dates back to the '90s (I mentioned your post to him today).

Anyway, a good day was had today at Glasdrum - something like 50 species of moth trapped overnight incl. a few new for the site.
~20 Chequered Skipper in the way leave.
A mix of PBF & SPBF in good nos.
Speckled Wood.
Various whites.
All very active in the sweltering heat (27/28C) & not being photo friendly.

After that I went a bit further north on the coast road & saw ~25 Marsh Frits, 2 possible Narrow-bordered Bee Hawk Moths & my first Small Heaths of the year.
Not a bad day :D
Hi Scott
Didn't realise Marsh Fritillary was so unusual at Glasdrum. It was at the normal spot for the Chequered Skipper, under the power lines, about 20 metres down the clearing from the main path. Both me, and one other person saw it.
Paul
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Hi Phil,

Fristly what a lovely picture you took of the brimstone.

having only ever seen one female brimstone for a few seconds before - I was delighted just to get a shot good enough to ID it. They were zooming all the time and did not land once. :)

Debbie

My list so far this year is:

Peacock
Small White
Brimstone - 1st time seen
Small Copper -2nd time seen
Unidentifed Blue
Orangetips
Speckled Wood
Pearl Boardered Fritillary - 1st time seen
Green Veined White

I think i need to work harder at finding them in Shropshire
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

Cambs-Essex BC had a report of a swallowtail in Hatfield Forest (near Stansted) yesterday: http://www.cambs-essex-butterflies.org.uk/sightings.php, including a rather blurry photo.

Any theories where it would have come from? Do we get migrants from mainland Europe occasionally, or would it have been captive bred?
David M

Post by David M »

dilettante wrote: Any theories where it would have come from? Do we get migrants from mainland Europe occasionally, or would it have been captive bred?
Yes and yes.

Continental Swallowtails are wide ranging and very powerful fliers. They do sometimes migrate here from over the Channel.

Of course, you can't rule out a release from captive bred stock. I think one of Susie's absconded last year if I remember rightly! :)

Return to “Sightings”