Norfolk - Last week of May

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Neil Freeman

Norfolk - Last week of May

Post by Neil Freeman »

I will be in Norfolk for a family break in the last week in May, stopping at Burgh Castle near Great Yarmouth. The dates are set due to family and work circumstances so cannot be changed.

I will probably get the chance to have a couple of days butterflying during this time. I have realised that although this would be a good location to visit places like Strumpshaw, Catfield Fen etc, it is probably going to be a bit early for Swallowtails, though depending on the weather I may go anyway on the off chance.

Does anyone have any suggestions of any other sites within about an hour and a half driving distance that would be worth visiting for any other species.
I would be particularly interested in sites for Wall Brown. This is a species that used to be common where I grew up in the Midlands but is no longer seen there and I have yet to see one since renewing my interest.

Cheers,

Neil F.
legless2007

Re: Norfolk - Last week of May

Post by legless2007 »

This is a great site for Norfolk. I don't know if it helps at all. http://www.norfolkbutterflies.co.uk/species.shtml

MInsmere RSPB reserve might be worth a look.

I might bump into you, I'm on The Broads the last week in May with friends, hoping for an early Swallowtail.

Jo
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I think end of May they are generally about but this year is now becoming not such an early year for some species so don't know about this year. I saw several last year at the end of May Bank Holiday weekend for the 3 hours of that weekend where it wasn't raining! They had been out a few weeks already then.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Thanks for the responses.

Jo thats a useful link with some good info, many thanks for that :D You never know, we may well bump into each other :wink:

FISHiEE, I remember last year, everything seemed to be out early, some species more than others. This year things are looking late if anything so far. I am assuming that would go for Swallowtails as well, whether there is time left to pull back on track I suppose remains to be seen.

Cheers,

Neil F.
Last edited by Neil Freeman on Wed May 09, 2012 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EricY

Post by EricY »

We saw plenty of swallowtails on friday 13th may last year, yes early but even 2 weeks later this year you should be in with a good chance. Strumshaw is the safest bet down the track by the good doctors garden & the west entrance to reserve just past the garden. Last year because no other flowers were out the field bank beyond the garden had lots nectering on yellow flwrs (hawksbit I believe) Eric
Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

I went to How Hill last year and there was quite a few there down by the river. Goldie M :)
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Eric, Goldie, thanks for the replies.

It looks like I may still be in with a chance for early Swallowtails then.

I imagine it will all depend on the weather over the next couple of weeks.

Looking on the maps on Jo's link above, near to where I will be staying looks good for Wall Brown and also Green Hairstreak :D

Cheers,

Neil F.
Yashca

Post by Yashca »

I'm going to be in Norfolk for the first three days of June - really hoping that the Swallowtails are out by then. Hopefully we'll get a bit of warmth to encourage them out over the next couple of weeks.
Yashca

Post by Yashca »

The Strumpshaw Fen blog said the first Swallowtail of the year had been seen yesterday, so it certainly looks like you're in with a chance visiting during the last week in May
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

Yashca wrote:The Strumpshaw Fen blog said the first Swallowtail of the year had been seen yesterday, so it certainly looks like you're in with a chance visiting during the last week in May

woo hoo!

Return to “Sites”