Butterflies of Europe app

Discussion forum for books and any other media concerning butterflies.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Butterflies of Europe app

Post by Pete Eeles »

Wurzel wrote:Guy and Pete I got this yesterday and it's brill, ace job! The photos are excellent and there's a good range of them, more than your average guide book. The "your notes" feature is a great idea and I'm itching to use it ( if only there were some butterflies about) and I really like the "similar species" feature which whisks you over to it's/their page for a direct comparison. Overall it's a brill app with easy and intuitive/user friendly design with the added bonus that it's stand alone so it can be used effectively in any field!

Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel!
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
NickB

Post by NickB »

Pete Eeles wrote:
Wurzel wrote:Guy and Pete I got this yesterday and it's brill, ace job! The photos are excellent and there's a good range of them, more than your average guide book. The "your notes" feature is a great idea and I'm itching to use it ( if only there were some butterflies about) and I really like the "similar species" feature which whisks you over to it's/their page for a direct comparison. Overall it's a brill app with easy and intuitive/user friendly design with the added bonus that it's stand alone so it can be used effectively in any field!
Have a goodun

Wurzel
Thanks Wurzel!
I do think these new media and tools are the only way to get our message out there. Information such as this, is one way to start to engage the new generations that will use these tools, as Jack demonstrates.... :wink:
So, yes, a really good thing to do, guys, and I do wish you all the success it deserves.

Now, just imagine a Cloud database, with all our observations, via the app, being able to be used as data by the whole Cloud universe....

"...The use of this app. could be a very powerful extension to "citizen science"
.... and point the way forwards to the way ordinary people contribute to research and data collection....
....using generation x technology tools..."

Discuss....
:D
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I've just bought it. What a fantastic resource. I'm anticipating many hours of happy browsing. I like the maps, which are a lot more detailed than in most books. Great pictures, too.
Now I am getting very excited about our holiday to Malaga in the summer!
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

any news/update on an Android version?
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

I invested in the 32gb (4th Generation) iPod Touch a few weeks back, I've since purchased Birds of Northern Europe (297mb) @ £14.99, Dragonflies of Britain & Ireland (145mb) @ £9.99, British Orchids (43mb) @ £2.49, British Trees (69mb) @£2.49. All these apps are superb Naturalists fieldguides, neatly packaged in a mini-computer that replaces a heavy load of fieldguides either in your backpack or in the car etc, the iPod Touch is wafer thin and measures 4.25" x 2.25" it fits in a shirt or trousers pocket just like a mobile phone does, the best price I could find was via Amazon Market Place, I'll not go into all the things it's capable of here or I'll be here indefinately, suffice to say it's a real state of the art mini-computer.

This morning I downloaded British Moths & Butterflies (513mb) it cost £14.99. Now I've already got the Chris Manley book version so I knew I was purchasing a real quality photographic fieldguide to add to my other apps. The app covers 2,147 species of lepidoptera found in the British Isles and Ireland, there are also fine quality images of larvae (caterpillars), eggs, leaf mines etc. In general the images are excellent and the species accounts are concise and user friendly. I don't really think you can ask much more, at half a gigabyte in size it's quite sizeable, but it packs one hell of a lot into that space!!!

I heartily recommend this superb app to anyone that has an iPod, iPhone or iPad and strongly recommend that the app is made available to the Android market, they are most certainly disadvantaged by the Apple monopoly, I'd be really peeved if I were an Android user. Well done to all concerned with bringing this great reference app to the market, I personally considerate it excellent value for money, can you imagine all the hours of fieldcraft and effort that's gone into getting the images for this fieldguide...mind-boggling :shock: Buy it...

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk

Return to “Books, Articles, Videos, TV”