Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

No pressure then, Mike! :lol: :lol: Seriously, I can't thank you enough for taking the time to explain this stuff to me and I shall try hard to put it into practice. I guess I shall have to go back to the camera manual as I have no idea how to focus on the eye. At the moment a little green square appears on the area which is focussed but this is much bigger than a butterfly eye. Perhaps other users of this camera could enlighten me? I also tend to use the screen rather than the viewfinder as I find this easier but presumably I should use the latter? I know there are other novices reading this diary so your tuition will undoubtedly be useful to them also. Well, I took the following batch before I read your post so they may not be up to scratch but I shall keep trying.

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! It was third time lucky with the roosting Dingy Skipper but not only did I find 1 I found 6!! I have not been to Butser Hill for many years and it is even longer since I have been down Rake Bottom. In those days I had a Springer Spaniel called Orion after the constellation in which he was born, and he was such a bundle of energy. We would go down into the valley and he would race up and down those incredibly steep slopes without ever seeming to tire. But I am older now and less fit than I used to be and my knees and leg muscles proved this to me as I went down the slope which felt almost vertical. The suffering was worth it tho' because as soon as I got to the bottom I spotted my first roosting Dingy. Result! Well, I was delighted! Frustratingly there was a strong and cutting wind blowing through the valley which hampered photos so I carefully marked the position of my butterfly with the intention to return. No need. As I made my way along the track I discovered one after another making a total of 6. What surprised me most was the variety of dead plants on which they were roosting. One plant in particular was quite spiky but without exception the butterflies were all incredibly well-camouflaged. To get one shot I accidently sat down in a patch of nettles which was quite uncomfortable for some hours later. It wasn't too long before I had the photos I wanted and as I began the steep ascent this little fellow caught my eye, perched right on top of a teasel. Yes, David, yet another Grizzled Skipper! I am astonished that he chose to roost there as there were so many other opportunities available to him but it was reminiscent of the Glanvilles at Wrecclesham whom I have frequently found roosting on teasel. Perhaps the sharp points provide a measure of protection against predators although I would have thought that spiders could negotiate these easily and the position of the butterfly leaves him fairly vulnerable and open to bird attack. And plenty of birds there were too. A couple of Whitethroat flew past me, skylarks were singing their little hearts out and the regular sound of the cuckoo were the only distractions. I continued slowly up the hill and noticed a small black rabbit sat at the top watching my progress. The views when I arrived at the summit were breath-taking. The fields looked like a patchwork quilt, the yellow rape complimenting the slopes which were littered with cowslips. Not another soul in sight. Magic! I wish I could have captured the whole of the very beautiful and panoramic view but opted instead for the steep slopes leading down to the valley.
P1030588.JPG
***STOP PRESS*** Whilst I have been typing this I have had a Turtle Dove pottering round the garden (very exciting) and managed to get some photos (albeit through my dirty windows!)- even more exciting. This is the 3rd time they have visited and whilst they have previously come in pairs this one seemed to be alone. Yesterday a family of Goldcrest were taking a bath in the pond. I was surprised at the colour of the stripe on the youngsters which was more of a deep orange rather than the gorgeous gold of the adults. But, I digress ....
P1030522d.JPG
P1030515d.JPG
Not sure how the light resulted in the different background colours.
P1030497d.JPG
P1030527d.JPG
P1030530d.JPG
This is the one where I sat in the nettles as I had to get quite low down :lol:
P1030556d.JPG
P1030575d.JPG
Last but not least, the little Grizzled which now seem to be a feature of all my outings!

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Lovely photos Pauline, must agree with Mike, you have a natural eye for a good shot, even though in an earlier post you say you have no artistic side! You have captured your chosen subjects very artistically, can only imagine the quality your capable of once you've read the camera manual and got the hang of it :lol:

What I'd give to have a Turtle Dove in my garden, lucky so n' so, sadly we have completely lost the species from Wales, their last foothold was just outside Monmouth (on the extreme edge of their range) not seen or heard for the last few years though :(

Keep up the good work, it's very much enjoyed.

Bill :D

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you for your support and encouragement Bill. These are just for you!
P1030716d.JPG
P1030691d.JPG
P1030724d.JPG
Thursday afternoon I visited my friends Barbara and Paul who live on the edge of Botany Bay. As is the norm when I visit, we walked her dogs and despite the overcast weather I managed to get a few quick snatched shots of the Wood Whites. There weren't too many flying and those that were found themselves buffeted about by the fairly strong breeze. Even the ones clinging to their perch were frequently spun completely round and I think this blustery weather is the reason why the back end of the butterfly is slightly out of focus in many of my photos (excuses, excuses! :lol: ). One day the weather will be calm, clear and dry, I will get the focus correct and the composition will be perfect - and pigs might fly!!
P1030670d.JPG
P1030638d.JPG

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline - glad you enjoyed Rake Bottom it's a truly incredible place - one of the few places I'm the south where you have to crane your neck to see the sky when you are in the valley bottom. Even better it's got a great variety and number of butterflies at this time of the year. I was there last weekend and although the Dukes are a bit sparse at the moment - I saw five - there were very good numbers of dingy - I saw 25 in an hour or so. I try and get there two or three times a week if possible. A little tip - you can get to the valley up the track from Ramsdean lane to the north at SU705217 ( hope I have got that right!) - there are only one or two car parking spaces but it sure beats the horrendous climb up Butser - surely one of the steepest in Hampshire I reckon you climb some 350ft in about a hundred yard - tough! Hope this helps the knees if bit of a cheat :D mark

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks Mark - I shall know better next time and there WILL be a next time now you have told me how to get down there!. If you know how to get to Chalton Down please pm me.

OK. Half the butterfly is out of focus but is this what I think it is???!!!
P1030773d.JPG
A visit to Paulsgrove today saw numerous Small Blue on the wing. I had organised a 'chaperone' as I have had a couple of unpleasant experiences at this site. The highlight for me was a couple of young girls who were carrying fishing nets. I asked them what they were after and they informed me that on the upper level there was a pond which contained newts. They were going to catch them and identify them and then return them to the pond. They were quite emphatic about this. In their pockets they had wildlife guides and were already aware of the Peregrine Falcons that breed at this site. Sadly, they told me that 'the boys' catch the newts then throw them at people's windows. They couldn't have been more than eleven but seemed knowledgeable and interested in wildlife. This place could be a fantastic wildlife habitat and is calling out for one of these community projects to clear up the rubbish and protect the area from vandals. Today I was very short of time and only had about an hour to get these few shots. I had hoped to stay to see them roost but animal commitments had to come first.
P1030751d.JPG
P1030809d.JPG
Cross my heart and hope to ............ fly!
P1030820d.JPG
Why don't they choose a picturesque stem or colourful flower to land on instead of one with a bit of dandelion clock attached??
Last edited by Pauline on Tue May 22, 2012 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David M

Post by David M »

Looks like that open-winged Small Blue has just emerged from its pupa - there's still fluid emanating from its abdomen.

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Thanks Pauline, super images, very well captured, just hope that Foxy and Saffron don't take a fancy to Turtle Doves though...( only jesting as I'm sure their very well behaved foxes!!! :) )

Bill :D

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Hi Pauline - the paulsgrove site can be a bit daunting but glad you found the small blues. Portsdown hill is the area where I first gained my own interest in all things wild in the late sixties and early seventies. I spent many happy hours searching for slow worms, butterflies, orchids and the like through the school holidays - the slow worms were very often found under discarded paint cans and bits of assorted rubbish! even back then some parts were abused. This same area above the chalk pit teems with chalk hill blues later in the year - nature is very resilient and in areas like this it certaionly has to be :( I guess on the plus side at least some of the kids who live on the massive estate to the south can actually experience wildlife in the raw unlike those who live in the city centre. Hopefully it may just spark an interest in those two young girls that will go on to last a lifetime - just like it did for me :D Interestingly there is another area A couple of miles to the east - in front of Fort Purbrook - where there is a small colony of small blues which i keep an eye on every year - none so far yet though. It is far less intimidating :D mark

The wonder of the world, the beauty and the power, the shapes of things, their colours lights and shades, these I saw. Look ye also while life lasts.
Pauline

Post by Pauline »

There were quite a few emerging that day David, including this little chap:
P1030759.JPG
and I also stumbled across this very pretty little creature though I have no idea what it will turn into (since identified by Chris C as a Garden Tiger Moth) :
P1030826d.JPG
and the most enormous snails I have ever seen:
P1030758d.JPG
Thank you for the compliments Bill. The Turtle Dove was back again yesterday - it would be so nice if he stayed around. I'll let you know. The garden at the moment is teeming with baby birds. I always find the Woodpeckers amusing, the way the youngsters give their parents the run around. With most species the little'uns seem to follow their parents about but with the Woodpeckers, the youngsters tear around the place with their parents (usually Dad) in hot pursuit. It is also interesting how they hammer peanuts into the bark of trees for the youngsters to find.

The next time I am down that way Mark I shall definitely have a look at Fort Purbrook. Interestingly, I note a Wall was photographed recently at Portsdown Hill - you will know that they have been absent from this site and the forts for some years now - so keep your eyes peeled if you're over that way.

Well, I shall leave you with a few Small Blues and then it's on to something else.
P1030882d.JPG
DSC03246a.jpg
Last edited by Pauline on Tue May 22, 2012 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Lovely pictures :)

Mark Tutton

Post by Mark Tutton »

Thanks Pauline - I definately will. Wall was a very common butterfly on 'the hill ' forty years ago and didn't warrant a second look - like an awful lot of other places. I will definately keep my eyes open and it would be wonderful to have this butterfly just a short walk from home - I have had to travel to Dorset and Sussex to see it in previous years. Watch this spece... :D Mark

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Pauline wrote:A visit to Paulsgrove today saw numerous Small Blue on the wing. I had organised a 'chaperone' as I have had a couple of unpleasant experiences at this site.
Hi Pauline
I hope to find the time to visit this site myself for the first time soon, I drive past most days during my working day. What sort of bad experiences? I assume related to the neighbourhood?

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Morning Jackz432r - Have sent you PM.

Thanks Debbie. Your photos of Orange Tips were great too.

A flying visit was made to Botany Bay yesterday to meet up with Mark who had kindly agreed to assist me with some camera issues. We enjoyed a good couple of hours in the sunshine with the butterflies, seeing a fair few species - between us we notched up double figures. The butterflies were quite active in the heat and several female Wood Whites were egg laying. I found the speed at which they were doing this, together with the fact that it was occurring deep within the vegetation, most frustrating as it prevented me from getting a clear photo. Just for the record this is the best I could come up with yesterday but (just like the Dingies) I WILL get my shot even if I have to wait for the second brood :lol:

Butterfly deep in vegetation
P1030906d.JPG
Photo is blurred as I quickly tried to capture the moment
P1030905d.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

My target today was Glanville Fritillaries. I had hoped they would be emerging by now. I was at the sand pits by 8.00am and it was already very warm. It was still quite wet underfoot and in the more sheltered areas the flowers were already in bloom. There was no-one else in sight but as I searched for the butterfly I felt I was being watched. I turned and saw this beautiful deer, lying in a clearing, soaking up the sun, and watching me intently from its chosen spot, perfectly camouflaged by the foliage. It didn't stir as I took a photo and went on my way.
P1030916d.JPG
It was now 9.30am and very hot indeed. I continued my search for the Glanville without success so had to be content with the Green Hairstreaks instead. I probably saw about 15 of these in total across the site, ranging from very fresh to quite worn.
P1030935d.JPG
P1030965d.JPG
P1030955d.JPG
Just as I was about to leave I noticed the crows chasing this Red Kite - the first one I have seen in the area. It took me a few precious seconds to remove the close-up lens from my camera which cost me a much closer shot.
P1030917.JPG
Back home by 11.30am for refreshments and a change into some cooler, cleaner clothes. It was too hot for gardening so I decided to take a look at the local Pearl Bordered Fritillaries. I was hoping that by now the females might have emerged but the few males that I saw were frantically trying to find a female. They stopped at any small bit of plant or stone that was remotely the same colour, only to realise their error and continue on their way. I saw only 4 males and 2 were looking decidely worn. I only managed a few snatched shots as they paused for a fraction of a second to briefly imbibe on bugle.
P1030975d.JPG
Tomorrow is forecast to be the hottest day of the week so it is time for a day off to recharge the batteries - mine and the camera.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Too hot for me to be out there today so will use this opportunity to post a few shots as yet unseen from recent outings.
P1030930d.JPG
If this photo is enlarged there is something strange circling the antennae of the Small Copper - a spiral of tiny hairs perhaps?
I am not referring to the colouration seen clearly on the photo but something else which is not visible on this reduced size photo. If anyone is interested in the full size version I shall be happy to email.
P1030369a.JPG
P1030388.JPG
DSC06050a.JPG
Camera shy Small Heath
P1030924d.JPG
I am pleased to report that the Turtle Dove is still here:
P1030912d.JPG
.... and has been joined by a Yellow Hammer :D
DSC03312a.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Despite my resolve to stay in today, by 5.00pm I was itching to get out, hoping the heat had subsided a little. I had an hour before starting the evening feeds so I headed to Noar Hill hoping to get some shots of Brown Argus. The place was teeming with butterflies which were still very active, the most noticeable being the Dingies and Small Heath, numbers of which the like I have never seen there before. The Dukes I saw were a bit the worse for wear but I didn't get much further than the first chalk pit before finding these Dingies.

Following Mark's helpful advice I have experimented using various settings - and trying to keep a steady hand. On the basis that I might never see this spectacle again (well, I have never seen it in the last 4 years) I took lots of shots using different aperture settings and made use of the changing light. Initially the butterflies were on a blade of grass but when I tried carefully to remove some offending grass from around them I accidentally disturbed them and they flew to a different roosting place hence the different backgrounds. But, which is the best? With or without the spider? Is it a distraction? Which is better focused? Wings open, closed or in between? They are all subtely different and I would appreciate any views.
P1040029d.JPG
P1040041d.JPG
P1040076d.JPG
P1040084d.JPG
P1040090d.JPG
P1040095d.JPG
P1040103d.JPG
Last edited by Pauline on Thu May 24, 2012 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

spider only a distraction for me as it's one i haven't seen Theridion sisyphium :) and first open winged shot for me.
Chris

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

You clearly have a lot of knowledge and interest in spiders Chris. I am wondering if that means this specimen is unusual, given that you haven't seen it before.

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

I am only just starting to take pictures myself, so i cannot comment on the technical side; I also try a range of settings when I am taking pictures. But what I can say is I love your pictures :)

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

I'm spoilt for choice! I think 40090d is very 'artistic', with its plain background. I also like the diagonal composition of 40029d. 40095d is particularly sharp and, technically, is probably the best shot, but I like them all!

It does seem to be an exceptional year for Dingy Skippers, and Dukes have been having a good year too.

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”