May 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
Alexc

Re: May 2012

Post by Alexc »

A few Dukes were showing at Buckland Wood this weekend during a nice (and rare) break in the weather.
Attachments
Duke B
Duke B
O-tip
O-tip
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I'm posting this to the familiar sound of rain pattering against the window, so this morning ,when the sun was shining, seems a long time ago : but as it was warm I nipped over to Samphire Hoe,near Dover. It's a fascinating place with plenty to see including Early Spider Orchids in large numbers.

I went there to see what butterflies might be about and soon found the first of many Walls :
P1010139.JPG
Also came across Small Coppers.
P1010155.JPG
And several Dingy Skippers.

I think I'll sit and look at my butterfly photographs until the rain stops...
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

With good weather forecasted for the weekend I took advantage by contacting Badgerbob for a butterfly meet on Sunday at High and Over near Seaford East Sussex. The chance of seeing Wall Brown "the pupa" and a new site was a big lure :) . My last sighting of this species was quite some time ago at Sunderland in 2009. Though there were lots of reports from Steyning rifle ranges I never got around to checking this place out :( . When the season gets underway the Wall can be a species which can 'slip off the radar' perhaps?

On my arrival Bob had already been at the site for around an hour and had seen over ten individuals :) . They were certainly about but the warm weather meant they were alert and difficult to approach off when they did eventually settle. A couple of record shots were about all I could manage.
Wall Brown, High and Over, Seaford
Wall Brown, High and Over, Seaford
Still there was plenty of other species and Bob was very clued up as to where to look. In total I saw 11 species, Wall Brown; Small Heath; Orange-tip; Green-veined White; Large White; Comma; Red Admiral; Dingy Skipper; Grizzled Skipper; Holly Blue and Green Hairstreak :D . Also seen were a Hairy Dragonfly and a Hobby Falcon (the latter not chasing the former on this occasion). With the exception of the Orange-tips all were firsts for the season.
DSCF1028.jpg
P1010365_1.jpg
P1010308_1.jpg
Male Holly Blue, elluded me most of hte day
Male Holly Blue, elluded me most of hte day
DSCF1043.JPG
Going to see the pupa was a challenge that only a Barbary sheep would casually accept such was the steepness of the escarpment. Keeping an eye on your footing and not on the wonderful view was the order of the day. So glad I did it though :D
The wing colour is only just starting to show. Another 5 days at a guess
The wing colour is only just starting to show. Another 5 days at a guess
Overall a fantastic place and a fantastic day out. Thanks Bob. The girls loved it too :D
Philzoid

Post by Philzoid »

With good weather forecasted for the weekend, I took advantage by contacting Badgerbob for a butterfly meet on Sunday at High and Over near Seaford East Sussex. The chance of seeing Wall Brown "the pupa" and a new site was a big lure :) . My last sighting of this species was quite some time ago at Sunderland in 2009. Though there were lots of reports from Steyning rifle ranges, I never got around to checking this place out :( . When the season gets underway the Wall can be a species which can 'slip off the radar' perhaps?

On my arrival Bob had already been at the site for around an hour and had seen over ten individuals :) . They were certainly about, but the warm weather meant they were alert and difficult to approach when they did eventually settle. A couple of record shots were about all I could manage.
Wall Brown, alert and ready for the off
Wall Brown, alert and ready for the off
Still, there was plenty of other species and Bob was very clued up as to where to look :) . In total I saw 11 species, Wall Brown; Small Heath; Orange-tip; Green-veined White; Large White; Comma; Red Admiral; Dingy Skipper; Grizzled Skipper; Holly Blue and Green Hairstreak.
DSCF1028.jpg
P1010365_1.jpg
P1010308_1.jpg
Holly blue: lots about but managed to elude the camera most of the day.
Holly blue: lots about but managed to elude the camera most of the day.
Nice obliging Admiral
Nice obliging Admiral
Also seen were a Hairy Dragonfly and a Hobby Falcon (the latter not chasing the former on this occasion). With the exception of the Orange-tips all were firsts for the season :D .
Seeing the pupa was a challenge that only a Barbary sheep would casually accept such was the steepness of the escarpment. Keeping an eye on your footing and not on the wonderful view was the order of the day. So glad I did it though
The wing colour is just starting ot show I think. 5 days I reckon it'll be out Bob
The wing colour is just starting ot show I think. 5 days I reckon it'll be out Bob
Overall a fantastic place and a fantastic day out. Thanks Bob. My girls thoroughy enjoyed the day out too :!:
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Alright there Philzoid cracking photos and the Green Hairstreak ahhhh :mrgreen: :mrgreen: !

Mike I think your bee is Bombus vestalis or bohemicus - hope that helps

Have a goodun

Wurzel
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Wurzel wrote:Mike I think your bee is Bombus vestalis or bohemicus - hope that helps
Thank you, Wurzel. You prompted me to read further. I gather these two species are difficult to distinguish but I have been fascinated to read more about Cuckoo Bees.

Mike
marmari

Post by marmari »

Three Adonis Blue,plus several Brown Argus and Common Blues on Bonchurch Down,isle of Wight today.
Also three Glanville Fritillaries seen at Wheelers Bay.
Todays weather... iffy.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Many thanks for your post Jack, I will have a good second read of it later. It has been a delight to get back on the forum and read the posts.after a long weekend of family visiting. Hopefully this weekend I will be able to get out and have another try. :) :) :)
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Captive male Orange Tip emerged today from egg laid in 2010. Another (female) also from 2010 will be emerging any day now.

So Orange Tips CAN (as always suspected) spend two winters as pupae.

Jack
Last edited by Jack Harrison on Wed May 16, 2012 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David M

Post by David M »

Paid a visit to Welsh Moor on the Gower Peninsula today. Nice to see a fair few Orange Tips and Green Veined Whites flying along the rides. There were also a couple of Green Hairstreaks, a Peacock and a male Brimstone. This is a Marsh Fritillary site, and although there were none today, I'd guess they'll be out and about by the end of this month.

The two Green Hairstreaks were entertaining to watch. Fidgety little things at rest yet highly combative when encountering another of the same species, spiralling high into the air and blending in so well with the greenery that you simply lose sight of them.

I also saw a few of these dragonflies and wonder if anyone could proffer an ID. They're fairly sizeable, but the bodies are quite squat.

Last edited by David M on Wed May 16, 2012 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marmari

Post by marmari »

I'd go for a Four-spotted Chaser,David.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Your dragonfly is an immature four spot chaser

Edit: you beat me to it, Marmari! :D
David M

Post by David M »

Thanks both. I guess that explains it's odd dimensions.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Whereas butterflies emerge 'ready for action' dragonflies take a while to mature before they becomes sexually active. Young females will actively leave the breeding sites for a time to avoid being accosted by amorous males before they are ready.
EricY

Post by EricY »

Sunny forecast for today in Norfolk, decided early start for Stone Curlews @ Weeting (also found Spotted flycatcher there) & G Oriole @ Lakenheath, had a job to find him. Saw one peacock & 3/4 Orange tips there in sunny conditions. Plan was to do Foulden common pm but it turned very cool & cloudy with even a few spots of rain. Only found this one Grizzled Skipper hunkered down in the grass. Weather does help to get the camera up close as they refuse to move in those conditions. Altogether a pretty fair day. Eric
Grizzled skipper wings closed Foulden common
Grizzled skipper wings closed Foulden common
NickB

Post by NickB »

By the time I got out, I only managed a few minutes of sunny weather; that was all it took to see 5 Dingy Skipper, 4 Peacock, 2 OT, ! Small White, and 4 Small Heath at the Devil's Dyke, Racecourse Section. (Also managed to bag a BillS at the DD too! Hi, Bill)
Peacock_1_low_DD_16th_May_2012.jpg
DS_1_low_DD_16th_May_2012.jpg
DS_3a_low_DD_16th_May_2012.jpg
And a Comma on the way back at a Cambridge site... Not so bad :)
Comma_1_low_EBNR_DD_16th_May_2012.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
GOLDENORFE

Post by GOLDENORFE »

Just got back from Gaitbarows in cumbria, Dukes are flying , only 2 individuals seen though , and 1 orange tip,large white and numerous peacocks/spec woods.
one person reported seeing a PBF also

phil
Hoggers

Post by Hoggers »

I went down to Folkestone Warren this morning and was delighted to see lots of Wall whizzing about of which this is one:
P1010191.JPG
There were lots of Dingy Skippers, a few Small Coppers and a Small White.

This chap popped his head up too
P1000933.JPG
I'm not sure what it is but I think it's a Dolphin...
David M

Post by David M »

I'd say Grey Seal.

By the way, your Wall Brown's hindwings seem much darker than normal.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Hoggers wrote:I'm not sure what it is
The whiskers say it's a Seal and the V-shaped nostrils indicate a Common (or Harbour) Seal.

Nice pic of a Wall Brown - we used to see them locally in Oxon but they seem to be mainly around the coast nowadays.

Mike

Return to “Sightings”