Duke of Burgandy Site in North Yorkshire

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Yashca

Duke of Burgandy Site in North Yorkshire

Post by Yashca »

Hi everyone this is my first post here, probably the first of many. I'm planning on travelling a bit more this year, and I'm hoping to see a few more butterfly species that I've not seen before.

Earlier this year I met someone who told me about a site for Duke of Burgandy in North Yorkshire. I know the name and the rough area of the site, but I would like to more about where to look, best time of year etc., as well as any other species that the site is good for.

However, I was also told that the site was generally not publicised to prevent too much disturbance, apparently there was a possibility that someone was taking the butterflies and releasing them at Ellerburn Bank a few years ago.

So, if anyone knows which site I mean, I would love to know more about exactly where I should go and look, as well as the usual flight times this far north. Might be best to pm me if you agree that the information is sensitive. On the other hand, if you think that this level of secrecy is unnecessary, please let me know. Just trying to be safer than sorry.
DaveO'B

Re: Duke of Burgandy Site in North Yorkshire

Post by DaveO'B »

Hi, I think I know the site you are referring to, which is becoming quite well visited. Duke is quite a threatened species up here - I'm part of a group of volunteers who monitor sites on a private estate (after receiving permission from the estate owners), and each year, fewer sites seem to be occupied. For this reason, we prefer to keep site locations secret. However, if you fancy a speculative visit, Duke is found in woodland north of Pickering, and can be seen in clearings alongside the PROW the runs n. of the railway line (grid squares SE8185, 8186, & 8286). Duke can also be seen near the level crossing over the railway line. There is no guarantee that you will see Duke, but if you do, it may well be a new site, so be sure to submit records.

Cheers,

Dave
VC62 Records Co-ordinator
BC Yorks Branch
Yashca

Post by Yashca »

Thank you so much for the information. I had hoped to see one in Bedfordshire last weekend, but had to cancel my trip due to car trouble. You've given me another chance much nearer to home when I thought I had missed out for the year.

Hopefully there will be a bit of sun next weekend.

Once again, I really appreciate the advice.
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

I don't know where you are, but isn't Gait Barrows near Silverdale closer to you than Bedfordshire???? - that's where I often go. :?
Yashca

Post by Yashca »

Yes, Gait Barrows is much closer to me than Bedfordshire, but I was I was meant to be travelling in the Bedfordshire area anyway, so I had planned a visit there.

I'm hoping to visit Cumbria later in the year for High Brown, amongst other things that'll be on the wing at the same time.

Return to “Sites”