Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

Things Hotting Up

Today there was a marked increase in the number of spring butterflies on the wing, with good emergences of some species. I started off at a site near Arundel where there were at least 7 freshly emerged Duke of Burgundy, including a female ab. gracilens. Also seen were Pearl-bordered Fritillary (1), Holly Blue (1), Green-veined White (1) and Peacock (1). Later in the day at Heyshott Escarpment things were really hotting up, despite a strong, cool wind. I counted 16 Dingy Skippers which were certainly not around in such numbers when Mark Colvin checked the site earlier in the day, plus another 7 pristine Duke of Burgundy. Additional sightings included Grizzled Skipper (7), Orange Tip (1) and Brimstone (1). While there I spoke to Colin Knight who had just seen the first Adonis Blues of the year at Mill Hill. As I was leaving Heyshott I noticed a female Dingy Skipper which I examined through my close-focusing binoculars. The tip of her abdomen suggested she was still intact, so I decided to track her movements and within a couple of minutes she was accosted by a male, providing a good opportunity for me to photograph a pairing.
UKB DoB 11.5.12.jpg
UKB GVW 11.5.12.jpg
UKB DoB ab. gracilens 11.5.12.jpg
UKB DS 11.5.12.jpg

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Neil,

Those first two shots looked good on your camera but on the big screen ... absolutely brilliant.

That bar is getting higher ...

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Colin Knight

Post by Colin Knight »

I have to agree!

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Mark and Colin. I was more pleased with the dirty Dingies myself.
Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More Dukes

My annual Sussex Duke of Burgundy survey is now well underway. Today (12th May) I started off at a private site near North Marden where I found 7 freshly emerged specimens. Other butterflies included Grizzled Skipper (6), Orange Tip (6), Brimstone (5), Green-veined White (2), Dingy Skipper (1) and Peacock (1). Although less than spectacular, it was the sighting of a tiny and quite dowdy day-flying moth which interested me most. A strip of dark, overgrown coppice that we opened up for the benefit of His Grace a couple of years back now provides excellent habitat for various other species, including the Drab Looper, whose larvae feed on wood spurge. I was quite surprised to see 5 specimens of this quite rare and localised UKBAP Priority Species. This included the rather unusual observation of two mating pairs, both achieved by following male moths which were clearly homing in on scent trails. The act appears to be a rather brief affair for the Drab Looper, with both couplings lasting less than 10 minutes.
UKB DoB Habitat.jpg
UKB Drab Looper (2) 12.5.12.jpg
UKB Drab Looper (1) 12.5.12.jpg
UKB Grizzled 12.5.12.jpg
I then moved on to visit a woodland glade near Arundel where butterflies seen included Duke of Burgundy (9), Comma (3), Grizzled Skipper (2), Green-veined White (2), Dingy Skipper (1), Holly Blue (1), Orange Tip (1), Brimstone (1). The highlight here was a busy Duchess, who after laying a generous batch of 6 eggs spent a while nectaring on wood spurge (the image below is of a male).
UKB DoB 12.5.12.jpg
UKB DoB eggs 12.5.12.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Springhead Hill

Today (13th May) I surveyed a number of sites but the most interesting action was at Springhead Hill near Storrington. The Duke of Burgundy population here is very small so I was pleased to see 5 different specimens, starting with a mating pair spotted by Bob Palmer. It was very gratifying to see them sitting on a hawthorn perch I transplanted here a few years back. Throughout the day 3 males jousted for top spot in the lek at the bottom of the meadow. By 3.45pm the males had worn themselves out for the day and all sat down together for a meal of hawthorn nectar, at one point all sharing the same bloom with a male Green Hairstreak, seeming to have forgotten their differences until tomorrow. They were so engrossed that they completely missed the arrival of an unmated female at 4.00pm, which soon went to roost in the scrub. I doubt she'll be missed first thing in the morning.

Other species seen here included Dingy and Grizzled Skippers, Small Copper, Small Heath, Holly Blue, Large, Small and Green-veined Whites, Orange Tip, Brimstone and Peacock. The most notable observation at the other sites was the number of Dingy Skippers, with 15 and 35 being recorded at each. Unlike most spring species the Dingy seems to be having a good year.
UKB DoB pair Springhead 13.5.12.jpg
UKB Green Hairstreak, Springhead 13.5.12.jpg
UKB DoB female Springhead 13.5.12.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Open Invitation

Following the success of last year's event, this is one not to be missed. Now considered an important diary date in 'The Season', it's an opportunity to talk butterflies, hear about butterflies and quaff fine English wines. With Blencowe speaking it's bound to be another success. 100% of profits go towards improving the Park Corner Heath/Rowland Wood BC Reserve, home to the rare Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary.
Wine-Tasting-poster-2012.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Save Our Butterflies Week Starts In Style

The first event in the Butterfly Conservation Sussex Branch 'Save Our Butterflies Week' calendar was run alongside the Murray Downland Trust Open Day at Heyshott Escarpment today (19th May). Of the three guided walks I've led this year (this one with Mike Edwards of the MDT) today's was the most enjoyable, despite having the bonnet of my car severely scratched and dented by a horse's teeth! :twisted: As I introduced the event to the participants (51 over the morning and afternoon walks) we were treated to a fly-past by a squadron of Eurofighters (image courtesy of Roger Pendell).

During the first walk we saw a total of 16 Duke of Burgundy, including a number of freshly emerged females, one of which was spotted being pursued by an amorous male by Susie Milbank. We were privy to the briefest of courtships as they settled down for an extended coupling of three hours plus! Two females were observed egg-laying and several males did what male Dukes do best ... fight! Between the guided walks I surveyed otherwise unexplored areas of the site, eventually reaching a total of 31 for the species. Throughout the day other butterflies seen included Dingy Skipper, Grizzled Skipper, Small Heath, Brown Argus, Orange Tip, Brimstone and Green-veined White.

My thanks go to Mark Colvin for helping with logistics, and to all the representatives of the Murray Downland Trust, which does such a marvellous job in managing this fantastic reserve. It was great to see a lot of familiar faces, and quite a few new ones who I'm confident will wish to visit Heyshott again in the future.
UKB image by Roger Pendell.jpg
UKB DoB pair Heyshott 19.5.12.jpg
UKB Heyshott Escarpment 19.5.12.jpg
UKB DoB ovipositing Heyshott 19.5.12.jpg
UKB Brown Argus Heyshott 19.5.12.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Small But Beautifully Marked

After surveying a Duke of Burgundy site in the early afternoon I moved on to Springhead (Kithurst) Hill, hoping that a few Small Blue had emerged. Susie Milbank had the same good idea and when I arrived she had already seen several, together with a lovely fresh Duchess. Unfortunately Susie had to leave before the wind dropped, finally making photography of a mating pair of Small Blue possible. My assistant Mia Iris and I later found a second pair on the way back to the car. Many thanks to Susie for taking the lovely picture below, which is destined for the family album. Between us we counted 8 Small Blue, 3 Duke of Burgundy, 8 Dingy Skipper, 2 Small Heath, 2 Brimstone and single Holly Blue, Orange Tip, Green-veined White, Small White, Speckled wood and Peacock.
UKB Small Blue pair (1) Springhead 21.5.12.jpg
UKB Small Blue pair (2) Springhead 21.5.12.jpg
Mia 21.5.12 (by Susie Milbank).jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Sunset At Cissbury

After a hot and sweaty afternoon scrambling up and down the face of the South Downs counting Duke of Burgundy, it was an altogether more relaxed session at Cissbury Ring to finish off the day. At 7pm my brother Mark (on holiday from Antwerp) and I stood on the SW corner of the ramparts watching the butterflies come to roost. This is often the best time to assess numbers, as so many individuals remain unrecorded over the same area during the heat of the day. Our tally was Wall (3), Small Copper (12), Brown Argus (10), Dingy Skipper (5), Grizzled Skipper (3), Common Blue (6), Small Heath (12), Holly Blue (3), Brimstone (3), Large White (2) and Green-veined White (1). Once everything was tucked up in bed for the night we turned our cameras on the sunset. The changing evening light always adds even more character to this wonderful, atmospheric place.
UKB Small Copper, Cissbury 22.5.12.jpg
UKB Common Blue, Cissbury 22.5.12.jpg
UKB Small Copper (2), Cissbury 22.5.12.jpg
UKB Sunset at Cissbury (1).jpg
UKB Sunset at Cissbury (2).jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Oh I love those sunset photos! Your photos are always good but they're something else and really catch the atmosphere of the place.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Susie. I know Cissbury is on your list of faves.
Neil

Susie

Post by Susie »

Indeed, you can call me an old hippy but in addition to the wonderful butterflies, bird, scenery and history (it's a bronze age hill fort for those who may not be aware) there is an energy to the place which I seldom encounter.

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Simply Stunning :)

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks DMS. If you've never been there before, visit when the Dark Green Fritillaries are out. But Cissbury is always good. :D
Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

More From Heyshott

In sweltering heat I counted 27 Duke of Burgundy at Heyshott Escarpment this afternoon (23 May). It was too hot for many of the butterflies, which were actively seeking shade, so I suspect there are a good deal more than this around at the moment. That said, numbers are undoubtedly down on last year - significantly. Grizzled Skippers were more numerous than during previous visits and are clearly still emerging, as are Green-veined Whites. Being so far from any major roads it was a joy to relax in the tranquil atmosphere, to the sound of birdsong alone. When the peace was shattered it was broken by the growl of two Rolls Royce Merlin engines as a pair of Spitfires circled overhead. This was more like the spring I'd been hoping for!
UKB Heyshott Escarpment.jpg
UKB Duke Heyshott 23.5.12.jpg
UKB Coming down from Heyshott..jpg

Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi Neil,

What is the secret to finding groups of roosting butterflies? Sometimes I come across such groups. Whilst they have a tendency to be in long grass in sheltered spots that catch the late evening sun, I find plenty such places that do not interest the butterflies. Is there some other feature they take into account?

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Matsukaze,
It will be a while before I can answer that one - just packing for a 6am start and away for a few days. Back soon!
Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Highland Fling (Part 1)

I've just returned from a few days in bonny Scotland, and it certainly lived up to its name. I lived for more than six years north of the border, working in the oil industry, and for a while the west coast became a much loved second home to me. But in all my years I never saw the country look as beautiful as it did this time. The soft-top was down every day as I sped between Glasdrum, Glen Loy and Loch Arkaig (at times almost reaching the speed limit :wink: ) and I'll never forget the journeys through Glen Coe, without a cloud in the sky and the temperature in the mid eighties. Glasdrum is an early site and the Chequered Skippers had already been around for a while; most were clearly demonstrating the characteristic 'nibbling' along the wing fringes - unfortunately this occurs all-too-quickly. The latter two sites lag behind, being higher and cooler.

I shall mention Glen Loy first, although this wasn't the first location I visited. I knew where to find the butterflies following the accounts of Lee Slaughter and information kindly passed to me directly by UKBers Phil, Rosalyn and Vince. It was here that I met Iain Leach, the only man I have ever encountered who starts butterflying as early as I do (even beating Reverdin's effort at Collard Hill). As the mist began to rise, making way for the sunrise and midges (the Avon Skin-So-Soft does work, but I still got hammered by tics), the sound of cuckoos echoed around the glen. We worked together over the next day or two, as with a complete lack of cloud the only way Mc Skipper was going to 'open up' was by pretending to be a cloud for each other's benefit. It was a case of stunning butterflies and moths in stunning scenery. Plenty of Argent & Sable (image below) and regular meetings with Narrow-bordered Bee Hawkmoths, one of which bumbled into a Mc Skipper, knocking it from its perch on a bluebell. Less than a metre away sat a fresh Small Pearl-bordered Fritillary. Although I'm pleased enough with the images below they cannot do justice to the experience.
UKB sunrise at Glen Loy.jpg
UKB CS1 Glen Loy.jpg
UKB CS2 Glen Loy.jpg
UKB CS3 Glen Loy.jpg
UKB CS4 Glen Loy.jpg
UKB Argent & Sable, Glen Loy.jpg

Colin Knight

Post by Colin Knight »

Stunning images Neil!

Return to “Personal Diaries”