Common but...

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
Martin

Common but...

Post by Martin »

...too pretty not to share...This was the biggest Peacock I've ever seen.

Martin.
Gwenhwyfar
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Gwenhwyfar »

It sure is pretty and pin sharp too - brillant shot Martin.
Talking of Sizes, we were looking at Silver Washed fritillaries when a Large White went passed - but it looked even bigger than the frits, we all did a double take.
Bryan H

Post by Bryan H »

That's a beauty, Martin. It's not often you can get the whole of a Peacock pin-sharp.

Those eyes on the forewing are surely one of the most beautiful features to be seen in the butterfly world - apart from Marbled White undersides, I might add.

Gwenhwyfar, it's funny you should say that. I got my first Large White photo at the weekend. These are big butterflies but I don't seem to see them very often. I'm wondering if they are as common as widely supposed. My theory is that many Large White sightings might be large Small Whites :?

Bryan
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

Thats a nice, clear shot, great! Noticed as I saw a white, it must have been a large white I thought yesterday, but a dark green fritillary came past and it was a GV White I saw as it chased it and you could tell it was not a large.

Vanessids like the peacock are hard to tell sexes, mainly size difference lets you know and a fatter abdomen usually means female.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
Martin

Post by Martin »

For Roger... :D

Canon 1DmarkIIN set to Manual
Canon 100-400L IS @ 400 plus 12mm & 21mm extention tubes
Canon 580EX flash set to ETTL
1/200th @f16
ISO 100
Handheld

Martin.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

For Roger...

Canon 1DmarkIIN ....
I thank you.
(Bows gracefully)
Roger
eccles

Post by eccles »

I've seen several large species too. Meadow browns spotted today were exceptional. Could it be that the wet early summer caused caterpillars to delay pupation and therefore continue to grow?

Return to “Photography”