Blue Spot or Sloe?

Discussion forum for getting a butterfly identified.

Is this a Blue Spot Hairstreak

Poll ended at Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:57 am

yes
80%
no
20%

Total votes: 5

Paul

Blue Spot or Sloe?

Post by Paul »

This photo was taken south of Montelimar during first week in July. There were several identical, so if aberrant, must be common one there. Any opinions as to which Hairstreak it is would be gratefully received! :?: :?
Martin

Post by Martin »

It's a shame it's so faded as it makes it difficult...it lacks the blue spot (although there a few blue scales in the right place) for Blue-spot, and it lacks the grey spot for Sloe.

So...best guess...Given the shape of the lines and the few blue scales I'd go for Blue-spot Hairstreak. Knowing exactly where the image was shot could help...where is Montelimar?

Here's a shot of a Blue-spot I took in southern Spain this year.

Martin.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Hi Paul,

I'm writing from my campsite in the Val d'Aran, and as it happens I photographed both blue-spot and sloe today. I was thinking of your pictures (which you showed me on the camera, if you remember) as I studied these hairstreaks and am confident this is indeed blue-spot. When I get back I'll post some of my pictures comparing the two - but the orange spots, the strength of the line and the general appearance are all distinctive. I did also notice that sloe hairstreaks invariably look tiny - I could spot blue-spot a long way away (they share habitat here).

Guy
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I'm back from the Val and am beginning to sort out all my pictures, though I might just take a long nap before I finish!

Here are a few relevant ones.

The first is blue spot:

Although the line is slightly broken, it is still very solid and 'painted on' compared with the line in this next picture, which is sloe hairstreak (despite the fact it shows quite a prominent blue spot):

The orange spots in sloe hairstreak form contiguous arches, whereas in both Martin's and my blue spot they are separate, with just one prominent orange spot and the rest black dots with orange. That fits yours, too, Paul.

This is a more typical sloe hairstreak:

Finally, an ilex hairstreak, showing a quite different pattern, with a rather weak line and separated but prominent orange spots (with black on both sides):

So, I agree with Martin, that your spotless hairstreak is blue spot. In the Val d'Aran these were quite fresh, but it is not at all surprising that in the South of France they were all very worn - they will have been on the wing since the beginning of June or even before that

Guy

Return to “Identification”