Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Saturdays are incredibly busy for me and leave little time for butterflies but by 5.00pm I was suffering withdrawal symptoms. The sun was low in the sky and time was running out so I opted for Oxenbourne, one of the closest sites. Despite it being late in the day I saw Brimstone, several Small Heath, Small Copper, brief glimpse of a Green Hairstreak, some sort of white which was too far away to identify and half a dozen Grizzled Skippers. Surprisingly I could find no Dingy Skippers although I have seen them at this site before.

Now, each year I try to improve my photography skills and with the help of members on this site I think I am slowly getting there. I also endeavour to improve my fieldcraft and this is easy to measure by the number of butterflies I am able to find and photograph. Sadly, I am not artistic in any shape or form so improving the composition of my photos is a real uphill struggle. I even attended a lecture specifically on photo composition - the need for a focal point and 'leading the eye in' etc. Unfortunately, the result of this lecture was to increase my dissatisfaction with the composition of photos I had previously been perfectly happy with!

I am struggling tonight to identify the best composition amongst the photos I took of a Grizzled Skipper this evening at Oxenbourne. They are all of the same Grizzled Skipper in fact as he was settling down to roost and show different views taken from varying distances. If anyone reading this has any views or helpful hints to assist with this aspect - good or bad - they would be very welcome.
P1030228d.JPG
P1030241d.JPG
P1030220d.JPG
P1030243d.JPG
I suppose it would have been relatively easy to move the butterfly onto a more photogenic plant - one less cluttered and better balanced - but I did not want to risk disturbing him so late in the evening. Perhaps I need to carry some pruning equipment along with my camera to tidy up the plant for a more streamlined look :lol:

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

all lovely shots pauline, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so i guess it depends on who you are looking to please. :)
my choice would be the 2nd one.
Chris

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Grizzled Skipper underside shots are always welcome, as this butterfly generally holds its wings open and even when it closes them it's often in the grass making clear shots nigh impossible.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Chris and David. I really appreciate you having taken the time and trouble to comment - but d'you know what? The more I thought about it the more I thought 'Pauline, you can do better than that'. Well, I knew where it was, and it wasn't far away, and I knew it would still be where I left it. Readers of this diary will know that this is not the first time I have returned to a butterfly for a second crack of the whip. So, 6.00am this morning back to Oxenbourne. The butterfly had re-positioned itself slightly and was now covered in dew. I am still not sure which of these photos I prefer as there are tiny differences in each of them - the probiscus, body position, lighting etc. I am not even sure if they are better than the last batch - perhaps I shall let others be the judge of that?

Raindrops keep falling on my head ......
P1030266d.JPG
P1030281d.JPG
P1030277d.JPG
P1030303.JPG
P1030295d.JPG

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Personally, I like No.2 best - mainly for the curled proboscis. The next one isn't quite sharp in the head area and the others lack the proboscis, which I like to see. May I suggest that a crop, as indicated below, would help.
Pauline'sPhoto.jpg

While the dew on the spider's web is attractive, it is also a distraction from the butterfly and, I think, it's best to home in on the main subject.

I admire your dedication, and dew in the morning is a marvellous time for butterflies - lovely pics!

Mike

David M

Post by David M »

MikeOxon wrote: I admire your dedication, and dew in the morning is a marvellous time for butterflies - lovely pics!
Me too. Sometimes cooler conditions can prove better for getting close to your subject. The PBF I found roosting last week was so torpid I was able to get my camera right up to its body.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Mike and David. I have tried the crop that you suggested Mike and it certainly makes for a better picture - why couldn't I see that for myself? :roll: Perhaps one day it will all come together and I will get a really good photo :D

I decided to give the Grizzlies a rest and nipped across to Wrecclesham yesterday afternoon (can't waste this precious sunshine) as I haven't been there for quite a while. There were a lot of birds - Crows chasing a Buzzard, Skylarks singing, a Heron flying overhead before landing on the lake, and the sound of a Chiff Chaff to name but a few. Despite the blue skies and bright sunshine the only butterflies visible were a handful of manic male Orange Tips and a solitary GVW. I did get a good view of a fox but he was just too quick and soon as I lifted up my camera he was off. Good job I've got these guys at home, eh!
DSC06700d.JPG
DSC06742d.JPG
DSC08349d.JPG
P1020344d.JPG

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Great pictures of the Grizzled Skipper and a lot of dedication there to get the shots. No.2 gets my vote too!

David M

Post by David M »

What's the story behind the foxes, Pauline?

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I'm glad you liked the photos Nick and Iam pleased you expressed your preference as all these comments are part of the learning process for me.

The story behind the foxes is a long one David - so long in fact that I am writing a book about them! There is a connection with butterflies tho' as it was a member of the butterfly community who was responsible (in a round about way) for the first one ending up with me. Suffice to say that they all have medical problems which are controlled by medication and they could not therefore be released back to the wild. Saffron suffers from narcolepsy and if she is stressed she just collapses. Foxy has epilecptic fits and is not able to control his body temperature so has to wear a coat in the winter and Chance has, at some time in the past, had a broken pelvis which has not healed properly so he is a bit arthritic and can't move too fast or jump very high. There are some folk who would say that in these circumstances the animals should be put to sleep but I believe that they currently enjoy a good quality of life, albeit different to the quality of life they would have were they 'wild'. They are all very easy to handle, have good accommodation, company and a great deal of freedom. I am also very lucky to have a great support network including a fantastic vet and local wildlife organisations. Brian May also expressed interest in them but unfortunately didn't like the colour of Foxy's coat - said green didn't suit him :lol: Whilst I never, ever envisaged keeping foxes they are beautiful and engaging creatures and I feel privileged to care for them. Great photo opportunities also :D . A few more photos below which I hope you like:
DSC02033d.JPG
DSC08134d.JPG
DSC07869d.JPG
DSC02044d.JPG

Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Absolutely delightful animals and photo's that go a long way to telling the story, good on you Pauline!

Have you considered doing your book via Blurb (the on-line book pubisher) with loads of interesting photo's supported by your 'story', I'm sure it would prove of great interest to all lovers of our 'foxy friends' :)

Keep taking lots of butterfly shots Pauline, I'm certain your skills will improve immensely with practice, just remember, we all had to start somewhere! I'm sure you'll get lots of advice and support if needed from all the members of this friendly forum, there are some very good photographers among the UK Butterflies membership.

Bill :D

Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

Keep the photos coming.

I agree with you on the Grizzly, leave them where you find them and maybe prune around them. I normally only prune if something is in front of the proposed shot though.

The foxes are brilliant, I saw one watching me in the long grass at Wrecclesham last year but it wasn't in the condition of your foxes. Great job looking after them.

Cheers Paul

Post by David M »

Thanks for the fox info, Pauline. They look a delightful little family (and they obviously get on with the cat, which surprises me a bit).

Goldie M

Post by Goldie M »

Love your Pic's Pauline, keep them coming and the Fox's are great , I like the pic in the snow. I like you love annimals you've gone one step further with your Fox's though :lol: . Looking forward to seeing more of your pic's. I'm a learner too at photography, your Butterfly pic's are great I think Goldie M :D

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Great photos and background story on the Foxes Pauline.

That reminds me, when I got home from Prestbury Hill on Sunday there was a Fox enjoying the evening sun on my back lawn. I had nearly forgotten but I managed to get a couple of photos, I'll check them over and post in my diary rather than intrude in yours.

Regarding the compostition of your photos, you are already posting some lovely images and whilst I agree that we should always strive to improve, you already seem to have an eye for a good photo.
I am sure that you will only get better with practice and look forward to your postings.

All the best,

Neil F.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you all for your interest and kind comments. You have had a little glimpse into a small part of my life but for now at least it is time to return to the butterflies.

I went out yesterday with the aim of seeing a roosting Dingy. I decided I would try Chalton Down - try to find it that is! On the map it is probably less than 10 mins away and I am embarrassed to admit I have tried to find it before and failed! I am still not sure that I have succeeded as what I found yesterday was simply a narrow footpath. I walked along it for quite some way but it was raining, windy and cold - b****y cold - so I retraced my steps. If anyone local is reading this then perhaps they could put me on the right track so to speak :lol: I didn't find my Dingy here so a change of plan was needed. On the way home I stopped off briefly for a quick look at another site and was rewarded with more of these:
P1030354.JPG
P1030353d.JPG
P1030340.JPG
Guess the Dingy will have to wait for another day :(

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Pauline,

I've been watching your diary closely and I just wanted to say that viewing your pictures, with the obvious passion and compassion that is behind them, is a very refreshing and positive experience.

Keep up the good work.

Kind regards. Mark

David M

Post by David M »

It's not often you go looking for Dingy Skippers, find none but see Grizzled Skippers instead!

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Ahhhh Mark, thank you. I was feeling a bit low yesterday as one my cats is poorly and your post cheered me up.

David, still looking for a Dingy but check out what else I found instead!

There was no way I was going to be beaten by 'a little brown job'. The illusive Dingy WOULD be found today and I would try Noar Hill. As I reached the venue I was dismayed to count 19 cars parked along the verge and concluded that a guided walk must be taking place. The 'parking area' was so congested I did an about turn and headed off to another local site where both Dingy's and PBF could be found. It was quite cloudy when I arrived so I set about looking for my roosting Dingy along the edge of the track. I was quickly joined by a very friendly ranger who described to me the work that had recently been done to try to extend the scope of this fragile PBF colony. It transpired that he knew both Dan and Neil (is there anyone that Neil does'nt know :lol: :lol: ) and they had provided input to the necessary coppicing. He was very concerned that if the site became widely known, the small area could become trampled and the small colony would suffer.

As we were chatting the sun appeared and as if from no-where the PBF appeared - only 2 males who interspersed their nectaring on bugle with amazing territorial displays. The ranger explained that at this site the males had only recently emerged and although he had kept a careful watch the most he had seen was 8. The females were yet to emerge. He was obvioulsy keen to see the result of the clearance work that had been achieved. Last year at their peak a maximum of 20 PBF's had been recorded.

Well, it was the perfect day to take photos of PBF's. The cloud kept coming over which slowed them down for long enough to grab a shot, providing you had managed to keep an eye on their fast flight patterns to be able to locate them in the first place, which was far from easy. Nevertheless, I spent a very happy hour and got some shots - and now the agonising has begun again!!! I have come to the conclusion that I really can't tell a good photo from a bad photo!!!! Is it all in focus??? (perhaps I need new specs :lol: ) How close to crop??? etc. Well, you can judge the results for yourself and as usual any criticism most welcome. Nick????
P1030451d.JPG
P1030439d.JPG
P1030428bd.JPG
P1030425d.JPG
P1030465d.JPG
And I STILL didn't get my Dingy!! But I shall!!

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Having enjoyed several of your posts now, in my opinion you have a natural 'eye' for a good photograph!

Your latest crop of PBFs are all splendid photos, well exposed and well composed. The rule of thumb regarding focus is to 'focus on the eyes' and then use depth of field (D0F) to cover the rest. You have positioned yourself at right-angles to the subject, which helps to keep everything sharp. Your Lumix FZ38 provides a greater DoF than a DSLR and makes this task easier.

The diagonal composition on the bracken fronds is excellent and I think you have made excellent use of the area of the frame. The subject is clearly portrayed and the bracken frond adds context, without being distracting. The diagonal top-surface shot is also nicely composed, with a suitably diffuse background.

You said that there was a mix of sun and cloud. The soft lighting under cloud is much better than direct sunlight, which can be too harsh and lead to confusing hard shadows. I think your lighting was ideal for showing the features of the butterfly in a natural way.

I look forward to seeing many more of your photos!

Mike

Return to “Personal Diaries”