Pauline

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pauline

Re: Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I find Hairstreaks some of the most challenging of all butterflies to photograph yet they are probably my favourite group. In fact it was a Purple Hairstreak which sparked my passionate interest in butterflies. In my front garden I have 2 large Oak Trees with some smaller Hawthorn beneath them. A few years ago I was sitting in the garden and saw a 'strange' butterfly on the Hawthorn. It flew up into the Oak and I subsequently discovered that it was a Purple Hairstreak. It was a revelation to me that some butterflies lived in trees! I have lived here for many years and have never seen these butterflies before, but since that time the colony seems to have increased in size and they can regularly be seen flying around the Oak. When they do descend, which is fairly infrequent, annoyingly it tends to be on a neighbouring property. Nevertheless, it is good to be able to sit and watch them and have them so close, and it is this very worn specimen which has so much to answer for.
DSC01450d.JPG
Whilst patrolling Botany Bay, looking for Purple Emperors, I walked past a 'Ringlet'. It was a very fresh specimen, low down on the bracken about knee height with wings open. I noticed it didn't have the characteristic markings of a Ringlet and became quite excited at the thought of having found an aberration. As I bent closer I saw the blue sheen on the wings and realised it was in fact a fresh Purple Hairstreak with its wings open. The few photos I managed to take were disappointing as I was so excited I couldn't hold the camera steady!
DSC00323e.JPG
DSC00328b.JPG
I really wanted a close encounter with a White Letter Hairstreak and had been given directions to a reliable site in Brighton, a 1.5 hour drive away (at least, depending on how many times I got lost!). The venue was a single row of tall trees quite close to the main road and it wasn't long before I spotted several White Letter Hairstreaks flying around the canopy. So, I watched and waited, and waited and waited .......... students came, had lunch on the grass and left again. Still I waited! 4 hours later a WLH flew down from the tree and landed in the grass right next to my foot. A lovely fresh specimen but hidden almost totally by the grass. I stood poised, ready to get the long awaited shot as soon as she emerged but after about 10 seconds she suddenly shot back up into the canopy. Time to call it a day - 3 hours drive and a 4 hour wait for a 10 second sighting and no photo!!!

A fellow butterfly enthusiast took pity on me after hearing of this experience and gave me directions to a 'fragile' site much closer to home but in the centre of a residential area. The amount of time I spent loitering around gardens and houses drew some suspicious looks from local residents but the views of the butterflies were superb, including this mating pair.
DSC07911d.JPG
DSC08239x.JPG
For me, the jewel in the crown at Noar Hill just has to be the Brown Hairstreaks - at this site they can be difficult to find but not impossible if armed with enough knowledge about the behaviour and habitat of this butterfly - until last year that is. Despite repeated and extensive searching I could not find a single butterfly and was forced to look further afield at Shipton Bellinger.
DSC01518d.JPG
DSC01537a.JPG
DSC01431d.JPG
Sadly, I have never managed to get a really nice shot with wings open so I am looking forward to another chance this year. These butterflies are so beautiful when newly emerged. I remember Susie saying that 'whoever called them brown hairstreaks should be shot as they are just like little flames'. I couldn't have put it better myself.

I find Green Hairstreaks particularly difficult to photograph as I never seem to be able to do them justice. Try as I might I can't seem to capture that gorgeous blue-green sheen. This photo was taken at Paulsgrove chalk pits which you can see in the background. The rows of hawthorn hedges seem to provide shelter for a number of Green Hairstreaks.
DSC03678a.JPG
The Black Hairstreak was the second butterfly on my list of 'must sees' last year. Detailed plans were put in place to give me the best chance of seeing this rarity. It was a long, very hot day and I must have seen about 18 Black Hairstreaks but only to admire as they flew past. The only one which stayed put long enough for a photo was way out of reach. Ah well, something else to aim for in 2012.
DSC06927a.JPG

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
David M

Post by David M »

Lovely stuff, Pauline. I think that's the first time I've seen a single post devoted to (and with photos of) all 5 British Hairstreaks.

Like you say, they can be elusive little blighters but finding them is all the more satisfying for that.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Yet more fantastic pictures, Pauline. I don't know why you are disappointed with the purple hairstreak pictures. I would love to have taken those! Actually, I have never seen a purple hairstreak! Just thinking amongst all of the lovely butterflies you have shown pictures of, only the large white and small copper occur here in East Lothian :( . It must be fantastic to have so many different species around and particularly having colonies living in your garden!

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

As others have said - super pics!!

I agree that Green Hairstreaks are always difficult, and photos never quite catch the shade as one remembers it. I think that is true of most iridescent colours - Adonis Blues are another example, where photos usually disappoint! I am fortunate to live close to Black Hairstreak territory and can recommend Whitecross Green Wood as one of the best Oxfordshire sites for these.

Mike

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I have been blown away by all the support and encouragement I have had from other members. The next installment will illustrate just how helpful other butterfly enthusiasts are.

Thank you David, Nick and Mike. I am pleased I am not the only one to have problems with the irridencent sheen. Mike, if I can ever get up that way again perhaps I could call on you to point me in the right direction for Black Hairstreaks?

Nick, you have made me really appreciate the diversity of butterflies on my doorstep which I was beginning to take for granted.

David, I am getting better at finding them! I know someone who even goes out looking by moonlight and torchlight!! My stepladder incident pales into insignificance compared to that :lol:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I do not usually join organized butterfly walks, preferring instead to find 'my own' butterfly. However, in my early days of searching for butterflies I was having a great deal of difficulty locating a Purple Emperor. Sussex Kipper (Neil) was soon to be leading a walk in Southwater Woods, primarily with the aim of seeing Purple Emperors so I decided to attend. The day dawned with the now familiar grey and overcast skies so I telephoned Neil who confirmed the walk would still be going ahead.

I have already mentioned my previous unsuccessful attempts to get to Bentley Wood, the last one being aborted when my car was written off en route. Subsequently, when I set off for Southwater Woods that day I was driving a hired car, one which was much larger than my little Golf. As usual I got lost around the country lanes. As I approached the meeting point I was running late and felt a bit anxious as I hate being late - for anything. There were lots of cars lined up by the small layby and a sizeable group of people, none of whom I knew, apart from Neil. I spotted a space to park behind Neil's car but just as I pulled into it there was a loud bang and the hired car listed to one side. I had driven into a hole! A very large hole!! Neil was the first to arrive closely followed by the others. I was quite shocked and embarrassed but the ice was broken with comments such as 'you certainly know how to make an entrance'. Once it had been established that no damage had been done to me or the car the members set about discussing how to get this large car out of the large hole. In the end about 8 strong men actually lifted the car out of the hole and the car hire firm was never any the wiser!

The only people I can remember from that day are Neil who kept my spirits up with his good humour and Susie who flung her arms round me and told me not to worry. I do not know who the other helpers were but I would like to say a very big thank you via this diary. It is a day I shall certainly never forget (and I'm sure you haven't either) and if you would like to 'reveal' yourselves to me it would be nice to thank you individually.

Just as the walk eventually got underway the heavens opened and we were soaked to the skin. I don't remember seeing any butterflies that morning - in fact Neil called it his 'virtual' tour as he showed us the trees where the butterflies could be found on a dry day! To his credit, I don't think anyone else could have turned such a wash-out into an entertaining, interesting and enjoyable day. Well done Neil and thanks again to both you and Susie for making me feel a whole lot better that day :D .

Naturally, as time passed I did go on to see Purple Emperors - lots of Purple Emperors in fact at several different venues. I have even had 2 land on me at the same time which was a real joy. A few photos below.
DSC00477d.JPG
DSC00535d.JPG
DSC00541d.JPG
DSC05106d.JPG
Last edited by Pauline on Tue May 08, 2012 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Pauline,

A lot of beautiful photos, well done.

Nick.

Susie

Post by Susie »

You're very welcome, Pauline. I'm glad it helped. I know it was a shocking experience at the time but it did turn out okay in the end. :-)

Beautiful photos again. :-)

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you Nick. I know (from experience :lol: :lol: ) that your praise is hard to come by and therefore all the more appreciated. Thank you. Perhaps see you this year?

Susie, I can laugh about it now but thanks to you it was not as traumatic as it might have been. :cry:

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thankfully, not all butterfly outings are so eventful. I have spent many happy hours quietly and peacefully watching butterflies. Below is a random selection from local sites:
DSC04826d.JPG
Small Blue at Paulsgrove
DSC07188d.JPG
Silver-studded Blues at Thursley Common
DSC08390.JPG
Wood White at Botany Bay
DSC07245.JPG
Speckled Wood at Noar Hill
DSC05400.JPG
Adonis Blue at Denbies
P1020788d.JPG
Orange Tip at Stanstead Forest
P1000919d.JPG
Brown Argus at Wrecclesham
DSC08303d.JPG
Silver-washed Fritillary at Oaken Wood
DSC02359d.JPG
Green-veined White at MHD
DSC06114d.JPG
Glanvilles at Wrecclesham
DSC06061.JPG
.... and spotted along the way
P1000800d.JPG
P1000795d.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Pauline,

More lovely photos, keep it up :D
Pauline wrote: I have spent many happy hours quietly and peacefully watching butterflies
To me that is what it is all about.
It is great to get out and travel further afield to see some rarities and this is something that I do enjoy but I seem to get just as much if not more pleasure from just going out by myself and watching some of the more common species around my local patch.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Good to hear from you again Neil. Yes, I find that there is something almost spiritual about being with butterflies in the lovely environments they so often frequent. I am transported away to another world, far from the worries and cares of everyday life - perhaps it's just a form of escapism :wink:

Having taken this opportunity to review some of my past photos I am reminded of how many butterflies use camouflage as a survival strategy. I have recently taken to looking for butterflies in conditions that are far from perfect and this has only served to emphasise how skilled they are in this respect. No doubt this is a theme which I shall be returning to but for now I am enclosing some (old) photos of Graylings to demonstrate this - if you can find them!
AUT_2236.JPG
DSC05905.JPG
DSC05908.JPG
DSC06258.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Despite the on-going dreary weather which seems to be across most of the country it is clear that the butterfly season is now well underway. There have been a fair few sightings of a number of species so it is time to get this diary up to date! The next few photos are the last I shall post from previous seasons before embarking on 2012 sightings.
DSC05591a.JPG
Wall Brown at Lymington
DSC07900d.JPG
Small White at Alice Holt
P1000301d.JPG
Ringlet at The Straits

Last but not least Small Tortoiseshell (still waiting to see a large one!)
DSC09823.JPG

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Hi Pauline,

Love the photo's

Debbie :)

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thanks Debbie, glad you like them and nice to hear from you again.

Forgot to include these 2 in the last post - can't bear to leave them out as they were so hard to come by. Anyone who's been up Hod Hill knows you have to be quite fit just to get up there!
DSC04888.JPG
DSC04861.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

My first butterfly of 2012 :D
P1020838d.JPG
The Orange Tip is one of the first butterflies to be seen in the Spring and is such a beautiful insect. On a dull, cloudy day, interspersed with showers I set off with a view to finding and photographing a few examples. The interesting mosaic pattern on the underwings, which to me is even more attractive than the upper wing markings, provides perfect camouflage as depicted in the following photos. I eventually found 3 of these butterflies roosting together in a clump of (unidentified) flowering plant, their markings merging to make spotting them much more difficult.
P1020814d.JPG
P1020776d.JPG
This Orange Tip (taken last year) is nectaring on a plant which creates a complete contrast as being fully active the insect has less need to be 'invisible'.
DSC04439.JPG
DSC03708.JPG
I was disappointed to find that this last photo was not as sharp as I had hoped. I tried to disguise this fact together with the rather 'busy' background, but not sure it has worked. Perhaps I should leave the artistic elements to those who are truly creative!
P1020765d.JPG

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Popped over to Botany Bay this morning to try out my close-up lens (for the second time). Bumped into Nick but despite 2 pairs of eyes we failed to spot a roosting Dingy Skipper. There were plenty of spiders intent on securing themselves a tasty breakfast so I used these to practice on:
P1030156.JPG
I wandered off to look for a Wood White but came across this nest which Nick later advised me was the nest of a Nightingale.
P1030153d.JPG
The sun broke through, the butterflies appeared and at last I could try out my lens on the real thing :D
P1030172d.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Stunning photos Pauline :mrgreen: My little girl was fascinated by an Orange-tip we had in the garden because of it's camo. :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

Thank you so much Wurzel. I do appreciate the compliment - It's great that your little girl is also interested in butterflies.

Pauline

Post by Pauline »

I still seem to be playing a game of 'catch-up' even though I am now focussing on 2012 photos. It would be remiss of me to leave out these Duke photos taken quite early in the season at Noar Hill on one of those rare days when it didn't rain. It was a good day not least because I met Chris C and Rob S and bumped into Steve whom I had not seen for ages.
P1030028a.JPG
P1030014d.JPG
P1030020d.JPG
P1030035a.JPG
P1030035a.JPG (17.25 KiB) Viewed 9860 times

Return to “Personal Diaries”