Panasonic Lumix FZ...

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
NickMorgan

Re: Panasonic Lumix FZ...

Post by NickMorgan »

Thank you Jack. I will certainly try to get myself an achromatic lens. I have found the macro setting, but it is the options on the main dial that I still have to master! I hope that we get a few more sunny days soon so I can experiment some more. It is a remarkably good camera, and it is just the operator that has to improve!
I haven't had a chance to try out much close up macro photography with it yet, as the only two sunny days were also quite windy.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

NickMorgan
it is the options on the main dial that I still have to master!
What's the expression? 100 ways to skin a cat (or something like that). Intelligent auto is perhaps the simplest, but I prefer more direct control. I learnt things like aperture and exposure and ISOs (called Scheiner then), depth of field, etc, some 60 years ago. It was a good apprenticeship. My usual operating mode today is aperture priority but that is my method and wouldn't be everyone's preferred option. There are 99 other ways to do it.

Jack
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

I have been having fun experimenting with the FZ150. I am very impressed with what it can do. As I said in my diary I am able to observe the butterflies far better by not having to chase after them and get close to them. It is so much easier being able to stand 1 - 2 metres away to take the pictures. I am amazed with the depth of field that it produces.
P1000252.JPG
My little Canon compact wouldn't manage to have all of this Speckled Wood in focus.
I have also been playing with exposure compensation and the Auto Bracket is a very handy feature.
test2 022r - Copy.JPG
test2 076r - Copy.JPG
test2 098r - Copy.JPG
I'm still not 100% with this, though. I have always found that my compact camera over-exposed white butterflies and I am pleased with these pictures, although I am not sure about the dark backgrounds. I have still got a lot to learn and need to practice more, too!
NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Maybe I went a little too far with that male Orange Tip. Now I think this one is better!
test2 021r.JPG

Return to “Photography”