Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Pete Eeles »

Apparently there are some attendees still on site :)

I have to say, this was possibly the best conservation day I've attended, thanks to the depth that all speakers were able to go to in discussing a single species. The dedication of the professionals, highly-knowledgeable amateurs and researchers was very inspiring. I'm determined to start a study of my own - just need to figure out a topic (and species!). I thought that both Neil and Tim Bernhard were absolutely brilliant - and told them so at the time. And Dan and Sam lived up to their usual high standards.

Cheers,

- Pete

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Pete and Mark. I'm glad you enjoyed the talks - I certainly enjoyed the other offerings and it is always a pleasure to spend time with such a large group of like-minded enthusiasts.
Best Wishes, Neil

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 30 April 2012

Sun drenched Sussex …

I always enjoy spending time with like-minded individuals and today was no exception when I met up with Neil and Susie in the hunt for the charismatic Sussex Pearls and Dukes. Our first woodland location, a large clear-felled area, was alive with butterflies and we soon recorded our first target of Pearl-bordered Fritillary along with good numbers of Orange Tip, Peacock, Brimstone and Grizzled Skipper. A move to a nearby location produced my first woodland Duke of the year ...

A great day in great company ...

Species seen included:

Grizzled Skipper
Dingy Skipper
Large White
Brimstone
Orange Tip
Green-veined White
Peacock
Comma
Speckled Wood
Duke of Burgundy
Pearl-bordered Fritilary
UKBP1110724.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

Good to see that you have been out and seen a good tally of butterflies.

All the best,

Neil F.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Chiddingfold Forest, 1 May 2012

1.30pm …

The heavy rain falling as I woke did not bode well for the day ahead, though it made my decision to clear my desk and visit a nearby client much easier. Having finished my meeting by midday, fast moving grey clouds still covered the sky; warm, light rain was falling. Arriving home I took lunch and headed to my study. At 1.30pm I noticed the cloud brightening, though it still covered the sky. A bright patch on the distant horizon gave hope so the decision was made.

I live very close to much of the Chiddingfold Forest complex and arrived shortly after making the decision to go. A male Brimstone greeted me as I entered the wood, which was soon followed by a second male and a Green-veined White. A male Speckled Wood was standing his ground nearby. The breezy conditions had all but cleared the cloud and the sun beat down on my back. I was alone except for birdsong. Having done my circuit I decided to go round once more and this proved to be the right decision as shortly after a male Wood White drifted onto the ride in front of me. Feeding frantically on violets I wished for cloud, though this was now in short supply. I managed several quick record shots and said farwell.

My first this season …

Species seen included:

Wood White
Brimstone
Orange Tip
Green-veined White
Peacock
Speckled Wood
UKBP1110821.JPG

Susie

Post by Susie »

Lovely photo, Mark.

David M

Post by David M »

Sometimes, Mark, those last minute decisions turn out to be the best ones.

Glad you had a satisfying afternoon (they've been in short supply lately),

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 2 May 2012

Beauty in minature ...

If you are a lepidopterist, particularly one who limits their personal interest to butterflies, there will always be days of disappointment, particularly if looking for the adult insect. Term yourself an entomologist and your eyes will be opened to a world of intense beauty, one of mystery and one of intrigue, all played out on a stage in front of your very eyes - providing they are open and receptive.

Today conditions were grey and although my target did not appear, what did was a gem to behold …

The Green Longhorn (Adela reaumurella) is a small day-flying micromoth belonging to the family Adelidae, the fairy longhorn moths. They have a wingspan of approximately 14 to 18 mm. The upper wings of both sexes are a beautiful metallic green, their under wings metallic bronze. The males have extremely long white antenna and have rough black hair on their heads. In comparison, the females have relatively short white-tipped black antenna with shorter and lighter hair on their heads. It is a fairly common species in England, Wales and southern Scotland, though more localised in Ireland. They typically fly from April to June and can often be observed flying in swarms. The larvae feed on leaf-litter and live in portable cases.
Green Longhorn (male), (Adela reaumurella)
Green Longhorn (male), (Adela reaumurella)
Green Longhorn (female), (Adela reaumurella)
Green Longhorn (female), (Adela reaumurella)

ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

nice shots Mark, i'm hoping for a dry weekend to get my local wood to see more of the same. it was a phenomenal showing last year. literally thousands around some trees.

all the best
Chris

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Cheers again for more education - I saw one of those at Martin Down the other night and was wondering what the hell it was! And now I know :D

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Mark,

I remember seeing swarms of these little moths at a few places last year.

I tried taking some photos of the swarms in flight but didn't manage to capture the spectacle.

Cheers,

Neil F.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thank you all for your comments. :D

Be lucky ...

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

West Sussex, 2 May 2012

A different world ...

As I said before there is always something to see …

The St Mark's Fly (Bibio marci) is a large hairy black fly belonging to the family Bibionidae. It is a species which shows strong sexual dimorphism (male pictured). It is common in late April and May in grassy meadows and fields, especially in the south. Swarms of the males can often be seen flying sluggishly up and down in the sunshine with their legs dangling below, looking for the females which are sitting not far below in the grass. When the females take wing they are seized by the males and mating takes place in the air.

You just have to look ...
UKBP1110883.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Mark, your depth of knowledge is most enviable. How did you get to know so much about insects in general?

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Rewell Hill Wood, 2 May 2012

Pterophorus galactodactyla

The delicate Spotted White Plume, Pterophorus galactodactyla, is a nationally scarce species. The adult moth, which has a wingspan of around 20-25mm, has a pale forewing with a diagnostic backward-pointing rear lobe. The species is most likely to be recorded in the larval stage, when feeding signs, on the leaves of Lesser and Greater Burdock, are relatively easy to find where they are present. The characteristic evidence of feeding appears as white-rimmed, rounded holes in the leaves, starting at 2mm diameter in April up to around 8mm by the time they mature in May. The larva can often be found nearby, resting along the edge of a vein on the underside of the leaf. The larva pictured was around 7mm long. A shed skin can be seen in the bottom left of the picture.

The adult moth flies in June and July ...
UKBP1010649.JPG

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Darn it you beat me to it Mark! I got some photos yesterday of male and female St Mark's flies and was going to do a post tomorrow. When you look at the male all you can see are it, eyes and then when you find a female it looks like something has bitten it's head off!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Sorry Wurzel,

You are going to have to move a bit quicker ... :wink:
Wurzel wrote:Darn it you beat me to it Mark!
Though I didn't get a female ...

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Rewell Wood, 5 May 2012

Pearls of wisdom …

Since finding my first 2012 ‘Sussex’ Pearl-bordered Fritillary at Rewell Wood early afternoon on Monday, 16th April, I have found it impossible, due to family commitments, to find time to be around late afternoon when they go to roost – but today was different …

My thanks today must go to Neil, our very own Sussex Kipper, who today, joined by Dr Dan Hoare, was running the second of his two walks to Rewell Wood – The Pearls of Rewell Wood (Part 2). Despite recent poor weather, including heavy rain overnight and this morning, Neil ventured out yesterday to find five roosting Pearls in advance of today’s guided walk, marking their positions in best boy scout fashion. I managed to find one today, though it was very much like looking for a ‘needle in a haystack’, but perseverance eventually paid off - though I can’t help feeling it was probably one that Neil had previously found …

Thanks Neil ...

Two of the many shots taken ...
UKBP1120378.JPG
UKBP1120380.JPG

Susie

Post by Susie »

That last photo is an absolute classic, Mark! :D

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

I agree. That's a belter. I'm pleased to say that quite a few people managed to get their best ever PBF shots yesterday. Some sunshine would be nice though!
Neil

Return to “Personal Diaries”