Best Week For Chequered Skipper

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
MikeOxon

Re: Best Week For Chequered Skipper

Post by MikeOxon »

essexbuzzard wrote:However,the last week in May,or the very begining of June,is probably most favorable,in my experiance.
i would strongly agree that the North West often experiences its best weather in late-May/early-June - although of course it is always a risk!

For a Southerner, the difference in the season at that time of year can be quite startling. My first photo shows early morning mists rising from the snow capped slopes around Ben Nevis during the first week in June.
Ben Nevis from Burnarkaig <br />8th June 2007
Ben Nevis from Burnarkaig
8th June 2007
You can also expect to find Bluebells in bloom in early June - here being visited by a Chequered Skipper in the wonderful Atlantic Oak forest at Ariundle NNR.
Ariundle NNR<br />9th June 2007
Ariundle NNR
9th June 2007
If you are lucky, you can experience balmy afternoons, here looking east along Loch Arkaig with the BC reserve at Allt Mhuic between the two forested areas above the northern shore of the loch.
Loch Arkaig looking East<br />8th June 2007
Loch Arkaig looking East
8th June 2007
Mike
David M

Post by David M »

Nice shots there, Mike. Of course you're right, Scotland can have some amazingly warm weather at times, but it's highly unpredictable and that's why planning a trip much in advance is a risky business.

I'm going to do what I did last year - not book anything and just wait until there's a favourable forecast, then I'll put in a request for a couple of day's leave and go up there.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

David M

Post by David M »

Excellent resource that, Scott. Thanks for providing it.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Scott
Thanks so much for that information.
It will encourage me to look in a few places other than just the "usual suspects" this year.
GRs being loaded into my GPS as I write this.
Cheers
Cheers

Roger
dave brown

Post by dave brown »

A couple of years ago I can remember talking to an ex RSPB warden in Scotland who said that in good years he can still find a few Chequered Skippers at Allt Mhuic in late June on his surveys. The point he was making was don't always go by the dates in the book and certainly take account of the weather, which, as already mentioned,is unpredictable in West Scotland. There was still some snow on the tops in mid June this year when we were there. I understand the site at the back of Spean Bridge station ( I believe Gibster has been) is known for a few late CS.

Dave
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

there were some wild fires last May in places like Loch Shiel & Loch Sunart & we don't know if they had any effect on any of the CS sites so it will be interesting to see the results of this year's survey.
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

As mentioned above, I have created GPS files for the sites mentioned.
As attachments to this posting you will find-
1/ A .ov2 file. Used in conjunction with the .bmp file this can be loaded into a TomTom GPS to take your car to any of the sites.
2/ A .bmp file (see above)
3/ A .gpx file. This can be loaded into most walking type GPS devices to lead you to the right spots
4/ A .kml file. This is really cool. If you have GoogleEarth loaded on your computer, just download this file and click to open. You can then "fly" from site to site.
5/ A .xlsx file. This is a Spreadsheet with the information from the BC web site, and cross referencing woth the POI titles.
In all there are 130 different (but often connecting) locations.
If you require this in any other formats (.csv or other proprietory GPS formats for example) I shall do my best if you PM me.
If you need information about how to load these onto devices, please PM me. I can't guarantee to be able to help with all devices, but I will give it my best shot.....
Have fun.
Please remeber to report all sightings to Highlands BC.
Attachments
ChSk.ov2
(3.34 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
ChSk.bmp
ChSk.bmp (1.51 KiB) Viewed 737 times
ChSk.gpx
(8.07 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
ChSk.kml
(13.3 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
CheqSkipSites.xlsx
(15.23 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
Last edited by Rogerdodge on Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers

Roger
David M

Post by David M »

That Google Earth link is excellent, Roger. Many thanks for providing it.
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

It's National Tickbite Prevention Week www.tickbitepreventionweek.org/index.html
if anyone is thinking of visiting the Highlands (& lots of other places) remember to be aware of ticks & tick-borne diseases & take a few precautions.
The mild winter may mean more about - I've already had my first unwelcome hitch-hiker of the year after a day on the moors ...
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Still planning to try for CS around 26th May. if Glasdrum draws a blank, are there any other reliable sites as I head south?

Thanks

Steve
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Hi
The Spean Bridge area is South of Glasdrum, and the best spots are along the roadside verges of the road that runs parallel with, and south of, the A86. The best spots are after it crosses the railway, and the next mile or so.
There are also a number of areas woth exploring around Fort William. Check out the files I loaded above.
I anticipate arriving overnight at Loch Arkaig (Allt Mhuic) for Saturday June 2nd. The plan is to meet up with my mate Reverdin, and anyone else who fancies turning up.
If anyone wants to meet up over that weekend, just PM me.
Slange var
Cheers

Roger
FISHiEE

Post by FISHiEE »

I shall be in Fort William 13-15 June and hoping I can see my first UK chequered skippers then so it will be good to hear how others get on before me :)

Thanks Roger for all the very useful site info :)
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Rogerdodge wrote:The Spean Bridge area is South of Glasdrum
???? your geography seems a bit strange! Surely, Glasdrum is well to the South, off the A828 between Ballachulish and Oban?

Time to lay off the uisge beatha a bit, I think. :D

Mike
Rogerdodge

Post by Rogerdodge »

Mike
You are absolutely right.
I can't understand what I was thinking of.
I think it is known as a brain fart.

There are, of course, few sites south of Glasdrum.

:oops:
Cheers

Roger
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

On the schedule I'm on, I can't really head further north. How reliable is Glasdrum?

Thanks.
David M

Post by David M »

Lawts wrote:On the schedule I'm on, I can't really head further north. How reliable is Glasdrum?

Thanks.
From what I've read, it's practically nailed-on. Like many, I'd love to see this species in the UK, but I'm not prepared to undertake a 900 mile round trip unless I can be sure the weather is going to be kind.

Like last year, I'll wait for conditions to be right and will drive up at short notice (though that never happened in 2011, so I missed out).
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Lawts wrote:On the schedule I'm on, I can't really head further north. How reliable is Glasdrum?
Like many things in Scotland it's heavily weather dependent.
Last year in the Glasgow & SW Scotland BC branch area we only had 1/3 of the no. of recorded sightings of CS as the previous year but that could be as much the weather putting off recorders as the butterflies.
However, the cold & wet last year really hit over their normal flight period & combined with wildfires last summer in/around known CS sites in the Highlands that does raise a question or 2 about this year.
& that's before this year's weather (coldest May for 100 years forecast I believe ...).

Weather permitting we are still planning a CS event at Glasdrum for the 26th of May - all welcome (but nice to know nos. beforehand if possible).
We use Glasdrum because a) it's in our branch area, b) it's so accessible & c) we have good relations with the owners/managers.

I posted the other recorded sites in our branch area earlier & Rodger very kindly transcribed them for GPS.
If you are coming up to look for CS please get involved with http://butterfly-conservation.org/text/ ... urvey.html (Tom will have site records for the Highland branch area as well) & if feeling generous http://www.justgiving.com/chequeredskipper .
Last edited by ScottD on Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawts

Post by Lawts »

Scott, that would tie in perfectly. I'm on Mull 23-26th and catching the morning ferry on the 26th and heading for Glasdrum. Are you able to provide specific details re. time and meeting point etc?

Thanks

Steve
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Meet at Glasdrum NNR car park NN001454 at 10.30AM. Moth trapping ID of previous night's catch from 8.00AM if you want to get there early.

but keep an eye on http://www.southwestscotland-butterflie ... 2012.shtml for updates.
& enjoy Mull. :)

Return to “Sites”