Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
David M

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by David M »

Sussex Kipper wrote:Cool PBFs

It was just a tad warmer today (17th April), but more cool weather ensured there were still very few butterflies on the wing in Rewell Wood. Solitary Brimstone and Green-veined White were only just outnumbered by Pearl-bordered Fritillary and I suspect it will be at least another week or so before the main course is served.
These early emergers are most unfortunate. This species revelled in perfect conditions for the bulk of their flight period last year. Hopefully 2011's progeny are still carrying the cold-resistance gene.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks dilettante and marmari. I love the underside patterning on all our medium-sized frits.

David - don't worry too much for the 'early birds'. Although some weather conditions can be a big killer (prolonged high winds plus torrential rain for arboreal species; exceptionally heavy rain and hail for open grassland species), even lengthy spells of cold, overcast and wet weather are usually survivable. Individual insects can just shut-down for a week or ten days without any problems. Butterflies are tougher and more resourceful than we often give them credit for, which is understandable given their frail appearance.

Neil

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

You're truly working on your photo-skill, Kipper, in this case with very interesting date for this particular species.

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

It was said ref Neil:
That's a stunning photo!
We take it for granted nowadays that Neil takes stunning photos.

But he does have a damn good camera. I believe that very model is for sale elsewhere on ukb at an extremely competitive price :wink:

Jack

NickB

Post by NickB »

....surely that is the photographer, not the camera, Jack?
:wink:

"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Nick rather cheekily said:
....surely that is the photographer, not the camera, Jack?:wink:
True. So many people think that getting a new better camera solves all their problems. But you do need an adequate piece of kit. Even Neil couldn't get good results with a pinhole camera. Or could you Neil? Challenge there.

Jack

NickB

Post by NickB »

Jack Harrison wrote:Nick rather cheekily said:
....surely that is the photographer, not the camera, Jack?:wink:
True. So many people think that getting a new better camera solves all their problems. But you do need an adequate piece of kit. Even Neil couldn't get good results with a pinhole camera. Or could you Neil? Challenge there.
Jack
But your Box Brownie works perfectly, Jack. Is that what you are going back to?

Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

But your Box Brownie works perfectly, Jack. Is that what you are going back to?
Not quite. I have just upgraded to this more sophisticated model.

Jack

David M

Post by David M »

My God. I think I'm beginning to understand why people collected live specimens.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Marek. However, that's quite an average date for first PBF at Rewell Wood in recent years.
Neil

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

First Sussex Duke

The first of hopefully many Duke of Burgundy emerged at Heyshott Escarpment this morning (22nd April). The first of the season always reminds me why this is one of my two favourite species. The inner, dark areas of the wing still had that beautiful bluish sheen that only the freshest of specimens exhibit. With only a couple of Grizzled and a single Dingy Skipper for company the site is probably a good week away from really livening up this year.

After fruitless searches for Dukes on a couple of other sites I stopped off at Mill Hill en route home. As the dark clouds approached and the temperature dropped the Dingy Skippers soon started closing up for the night. I watched fascinated as one individual gradually pulled its wings tight around its body in the manner that only Dingies do.
UKB Dingy (2), Mill Hill 22.04.12.jpg
UKB Dingy Mill Hill 22.04.12.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hoping For Sunshine

I'm hoping for at least a little sunshine for the first of my guided walks at Rewell Wood this coming Sunday (see UKB 'Upcoming Events' and my earlier diary posting), although at the moment computer says "no". Only short spells of half-decent weather should see the Pearl-bordered Fritillaries on the wing, but I'm hopeful of finding a few at roost even if the forecast is correct. A brief visit this afternoon (24th April) confirmed that they are now emerging even in the more elevated parts of the wood, which often lag behind. Fingers crossed.
UKB PBF (1) Rewell 24.4.12.jpg
UKB PBF (4) Rewell 24.4.12.jpg
UKB PBF (2) Rewell 24.4.12.jpg
UKB PBF (3) Rewell 24.4.12.jpg

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Stunning photos, Neil!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Absolutely cracking shots of PBFrits and the Dingy is just lush :mrgreen:

Hopefully might be able to get some shots myself this weekend, after the weather we've had here I'd settle for anything! :lol:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

David M

Post by David M »

It's amazing anything is on the wing given the dire weather.

Let's hope things brighten up by the end of April so these species can go about their usual business.

NickB

Post by NickB »

Lovely shots - as we have come to expect, Neil - to brighten up our day....
(As I watch the rain from my window......)

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Plenty Of Pearls

This morning (27th April) I started off at Rewell Wood, where Pearl-bordered Fritillary numbers are building nicely. I saw a total of 45 across three different areas of the wood, including 2 egg-laying females and a pair in cop. I managed to photograph a nice trio jostling for position on a dandelion, narrowly missing a four-shot! Also seen were 4 Orange Tip, 3 Peacock, 2 Brimstone and a Large White.
UKB PBF Rewell 27.4.12.jpg
UKB Trio of PBF Rewell 27.4.12.jpg
UKB PBF female Rewell 27.4.12.jpg
Later I moved on to a site nearby where a single male Duke of Burgundy was holding court. A couple of freshly emerged Grizzled Skippers and a brace of Peacock were keeping it company. Unfortunately the weather forecast is for a return to pretty miserable conditions over the next few days, making my first guided walk for PBFs a potential wash-out. :(
UKB DoB Arundel 27.4.12.jpg

millerd

Post by millerd »

I love the trio on the dandelion!

Dave

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Me too-and the duke,i can't wait to see this fantastic little butterfly this year!

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Sussex Kipper wrote: I managed to photograph a nice trio jostling for position on a dandelion, narrowly missing a four-shot!
Photo of the year, so far...stunning. Good work, Neil!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.

Return to “Personal Diaries”