Epic Butterfly Walk!

Discussion forum for field trips and any other events.
Gibster

Epic Butterfly Walk!

Post by Gibster »

Pete has already flagged this up on the UKButterfly home page, so here are a few more details...

Sami and I are finally doing the decent thing and are getting married on 5th May this year (currently that's just a smidge under three weeks time - gulp!!!) We've been together for over four years now, Sami has always maintained it was "inevitable" and that I could only run so far (!) but in the end I gladly proposed and six months later we are officially about to become Mr & Mrs Gibson. So UKB has it's first marriage...Happy Days!!! :D :D

Anyway -

our thoughts soon turned to Honeymoon Plans (and Sami had LOTS, believe me...) We both wanted to "do something" that was close to our hearts, something original and something with a purpose. Everyday beachbums we ain't! :) In 2010 we spent a goodly part of the summer months zipping up and down the country in search of EVERY British butterfly (including ALL the races!) We fared pretty well, Clouded Yellow had an appalling showing that year and we missed seeing any. Mountain Ringlet also eluded us, being the only UK resident species we've yet to see. We managed the all rest though (apart from Large Tortoiseshell which seems to be resident on IOW - but we didn't know about them at the time).

We had an absolutely amazing adventure, enjoyed some truly beautiful countryside and witnessed many spectacular wildlife moments. But it was also blatantly clear that some of the sites we visited were under threat of being lost, whether through local development plans or simply through being poorly managed/mismanaged due to either a lack of funding or a lack of understanding of species' requirements .

Other sites we visited simply no longer existed. And neither did all those special butterflies and habitats we'd hoped to see.

With this in mind we quickly hatched a bold (and somewhat unusual) Honeymoon Plan. We decided that for our Honeymoon we would undertake a shared childhood dream and walk the entire length of the country - from Land's End in westernmost Cornwall all the way northwards to John O'Groats at the very top of Scotland. Some 900 miles as the Holly Blue flits. No wholly sane person would ordinarily dream of walking such a huge distance, but only a truly insane person would do it without raising money or awareness for a charity or trust. Luckily we are both "not entirely sane" :lol: and our chosen charity is none other than Butterfly Conservation, the very organisation in a position to help protect and conserve our declining butterfly populations and their dwindling habitats. No other charity is closer to our hearts at this time. We passionately believe that what we are doing is for a good and deserving cause.

As Pete has already mentioned, as well as raising money for Butterfly Conservation, we would very much like to meet you guys as we walk (or should that be hobble?) northwards, put some faces to usernames. Maybe you'd even like to join us for a leg of the journey??? We are going totally unsupported, which is to say that we are undertaking the entire distance on foot (no bikes, boats or cars allowed!), we are carrying our tent, sleeping bags, cooking equipment, clothing etc etc in our rucksacks and intend to wildcamp as often as possible. So saying, the offer of a bath and bed wouldn't go amiss if our route passes your front door. And we'd pay for the beers, obviously!!! :D

Our route is shown on Pete's link on the homepage. It should be noted that this is a rough version of the actual route we intend to take, although it is fairly accurate. The actual roads, footpaths, tracks and towpaths we decide to use will doubtless change and evolve on a near-daily basis, there is no "right" way to do this (but probably lots of "wrong" ways!)

Regards raising money for Butterfly Conservation, we have a couple of simple ways in which people can donate. Both are safe, secure and trusted.

Firstly, we have a JustGiving page whereby you donate a sum of money online and JustGiving transfer the money direct into Butterfly Conservation's bank account. Truly simple and effective. To visit and donate go to http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk

Alternatively, if you don't have access to the internet, you can donate using your mobile phone. Again - it's very quick and easy. First text WALK80 (all one word and in UPPER CASE) followed by a space, then £3 to donate £3, or £5 to donate £5, £10 to donate £10 or £20 to donate £20. For example, to donate £5 you would simply text WALK80 £5 Then send that off to 70070. And you can do this up to three times a day! The money comes out of your phone's credit if you are Pay-as-you-Go, or is added to your monthly bill if you are on contract. Either way, you don't have to give out your bank card details.

Finally, Sami has spent quite some time putting together a short video. Personally I HATE the soundtrack, but I've watched it now so I won't have to suffer it again!!! :twisted:
Please watch it at http://youtu.be/OfmDc6llHj8 There are donation details near the end of the video. Maybe keep the volume setting on "low"? :wink:

I realise that I'm preaching to the converted, which is why I'm asking you now to help spread the news of our Epic Butterfly Walk to friends, family, colleagues, your local natural history groups, absolutely anyone you think may be willing to donate and willing to spread the word. Please share the JustGiving page on your Facebook or Twitter accounts. Befriend our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Epic-Butt ... 6055676456 and better still, come out and meet us as we pass through your neck of the woods!!! :D Maybe you could help carry our packs? (doh, that's not allowed is it :evil: )

Right, that's quite enough chatter for now. Go spread the word, give us your money and all offers of a hot shower en route greatly appreciated! :lol:

Seth Gibson and Sami (soon to be Gibson) Webster

aka Sami and Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
ScottD

Re: Epic Butterfly Walk!

Post by ScottD »

I don't suppose that you have a rough timetable of when you expect to be where?
The Glasgow & SW Scotland BC branch committee have already briefly discussed arranging to meet up with you, maybe buy you a drink/dinner etc. so estimated dates would be useful (our next committee meeting is 30th April).
David M

Post by David M »

This is a wonderful idea and will be a formidable achievement. Must admit, I've always fancied doing this although my preference would be to do it in the other direction (north to south always seems to have more of a 'downhill' flavour). I'd like to do France too but getting sufficient time off precludes that.

I shall certainly be sponsoring you, Seth & Sami, and if my house was anywhere near your trail then you'd have somewhere to crash for one night. Good luck and best wishes for what is an admirable cause.

PS, a handful of questions:

1. How long do you think this will take you (surely one full calendar month)?

2. How have you got the time off?

3. How are you going to protect your feet as it'll be those rather than your legs that will be the most in need of TLC?
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Hi ScottD,

We did notice that Glasgow & SW Scotland were one of the keenest BC branches regards sharing our video and flagging up our website. However, we didn't honestly envision the offer of beers and grub...clearly you have a truly fantastic committee! We salute you!!! :D

Hi again David,

in answer to your questions - our respective bosses have kindly allowed us to take an extended break, unfortunately for us it's mostly unpaid (annual leave only stretches so far...)
- we both own well-worn boots, and we'll be wearing "1000 mile socks" (go Google) which ought to cut down on blister formation. There's a foot spray which creates a barrier against ailments such as athlete's foot, nail fungus etc (yumm...) and lasts for up to 6 weeks. So we'll be liberally spraying up before setting off!

To answer both of your shared question, we simply don't know how long the entire trek will take to complete. On paper it seems quite easy to walk 20 miles in a day. We could easily stroll for 8 hours each day...couldn't we? Our route is approximately 1200 miles, so in theory we could complete it in 2 months. However, it IS our honeymoon!!! We aren't going to rush and scramble through the countryside. We want to savour the best spots, skirt around the less appealing towns, soak up the experience, throw in a few rest days and meet up with UKB folks en route.

The good news is that we'll be keeping a blog going, so folks will be able to track our progress and contact us should they wish to join us for a few miles, a few beers or just to yell encouragement.

We've already had some substantial donations rolling in from UKButterfly members. Thankyou so much everyone for your support. :D
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

Well Seth, if you can take it at a more leisurely pace then so much the better. I remember Ian Botham doing this about 20 years ago for leukaemia charities and I think it took him a month (his feet were cut to ribbons en route, by the way).

I think the best thing you can do is buy whatever is out there on the market to protect the things that are going to take the principal load, i.e. your feet.

When I spent a week hill-walking in France last year I bought softened insoles, supplemented by gel insoles and heel protectors and even then my feet suffered. Oddly enough, downhill stretches proved more damaging than uphill ones, and if you're going to be at it for 30 days+ then I really believe anything you can buy to soften the impact will pay dividends.

Respect once again. It's such a shame your route comes nowhere near me, as I'd gladly accommodate you if my abode was on or near your intended itinerary.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I remember Ian Botham doing this about 20 years ago
I just happened to see him and his entourage somewhere in the Highlands. Botham certainly wasn't strolling and I go the impression that the half dozen or so with him (behind him in fact) might have preferred a slower pace.

Jack
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Hi Seth and Sami,

It's a great thing you are doing here - hats off to you both. I've put a link on the BC Sussex website in the hope of attracting a few more sponsors. If I'm on tour in your vicinity I'll be sure to meet up with you.

Best Wishes, Neil
RobS

Post by RobS »

Hi Seth and Sami.
congratulations to you both for your engagement and forthcoming wedding.a journey that will doubtless be easier than the epic trek that you plan on undertaking to kick start the union.i wish you both the best of luck.
Have done the wedding thing(nuff said) but the LEJOG is something ive wanted to do for a while now.and to do it to raise money for butterfly conservation is a fantastic idea.im planning to do mine when i retire from my current job at 50.
From various reports i have read online,and books i have bought on the subject,a 3 month walk would probably be a more realistic timescale.But then i have no idea how much walking you have both done or how fit,how heavy your packs,how many days off you plan (and you will need them)etc etc so i apologise if im preaching to the wise.If your timescale is relatively open ended then you will have a more relaxed time.all i can say is that im envious of your adventure and will watch with great interest how you get on.dont forget to buy some Avon Skin so soft for those scottish moorland midges in july.
As i said earlier,i have no idea how much you are into your walking and wildcamping,but if you want any help,equipment advice etc please ask.iv spent many days with my home on my back and would love to help if i can.
best wishes
rob
Under canvas. Just the wild woods for company.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

OK folks, so this is now only ONE WEEK away from happening. We are at the Land's End signpost at 10am on Monday 7th May. That's this bank holiday Monday. All are hereby officially invited to drop by and cheer us on our merry way!

Cornwall Branch of BC have very kindly offered to be there to wave us off. Well, probably not the entire membership!!! :lol: But a showing anyway, which is a lovely and unexpected gesture and one that will be hugely appreciated by this particular pair of very newly-weds :D :D

I plan to shave my hair off and trim my jawline at the Land's End signpost and then not touch it again until arriving at John O' Groats. I'll probably look like the Wildman of Borneo within a few weeks, but hey - it's all for fun! I'm just hoping that Sami doesn't intend to do likewise... :?

We'll be keeping a blog via our Facebook page. Look up Epic Butterfly Walk for details at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Epic-Butt ... 6055676456 I believe Pete will be linking to it direct from UKB.

Our Justgiving page http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk is fast approaching its first £1000 mark! There's still a very long way to go, but it's already an incredible amount considering we haven't even started yet! :D What we don't want to happen is to see the appeal stagnate and folks lose interest. So we're asking you to join our Facebook group, keep reposting the walk details, tell your local nature groups, your friends and family, the postman, the grocer, that odd fella who lives on the corner...tell anybody! :lol:

Our journey starts at Land's End, naturally enough. We have no "set-in-concrete" route, it will evolve as the days and weeks progress and, to a degree, depends on whereabouts UKB members live! Here is the general route county by county - (note: there is a somewhat meandering route through Somerset. This is due to the fact that we would like to visit several well-known butterfly reserves. However, if the weather remains wet and cold, we will probably skip the Taunton area and head from Exmoor directly eastwards towards Glastonbury. At least The Tor can be climbed whatever the weather!)

CORNWALL - Land's End, Penzance, Troon, Truro, St Blazey, Bodmin, Bolventor, Launceston
DEVON - Holsworthy, Marsland Wood, the South West Coast Path to Bideford, Barnstaple, Exmoor, Heddon Mouth
SOMERSET - Porlock, across Exmoor, Taunton, Glastonbury, Cheddar, Sand Point, Bristol
GLOUCESTERSHIRE - just barely! Across the Severn and into Wales
MONMOUTHSHIRE/GLOUCS - along the Offa's Dyke Trail which more-or-less follows the current England/Wales border northwards
POWYS/HEREFORDSHIRE - continuing northwards along Offa's Dyke
POWYS/SHROPSHIRE - along Offa's Dyke until Oswestry
SHROPSHIRE - Oswestry, Whixall Moss, Prees Heath, Whitchurch
CHESHIRE - Sandstone Trail, Tattenhall, Kelsall, Frodsham
LANCASHIRE - Warrington, Skelmersdale, Preston, Lancaster, Carnforth, Arnside Knott
CUMBRIA - Meathop, Grizebeck, Irton Fell, Egremont, Cockermouth, Wigton, Carlisle (if the Mountain Ringlet season is over, or the weather too poor, we shall skirt up the east edge of the Lake District and save ourselves a great many miles!!)
DUMFRIES & GALLOWAY - Gretna, Annan, Lochmaben, Moffat, Sanquhar
SOUTH LANARKSHIRE - Glenbuck, Kirkmuirhill, Carluke
WEST LOTHIAN - Blackridge
FALKIRK - Avonbridge, Shieldhill, Bonnybridge, Longcroft
NORTH LANARKSHIRE - Kilsyth
EAST DUMBARTONSHIRE - Kirkintilloch, Balmore, Milngavie and the West Highland Way northwards
STIRLING - Balmaha, Inversnaid, Crianlarich, Tyndrum
ARGYLL - Bridge of Orchy
HIGHLAND - Altnafeadh, Kinlochleven, Fort William, Laggan, Invergarry, Drumnadrochit, Inverness, Alness, Bonar Bridge, Brora, Dunbeath, Thurso, Dunnet Head, John O'Groats!!! :D

The Glasgow and SW Scotland Branch of BC committee have come to the decision that they would like to treat us to a meal and drinks upon our arrival in Scotland - an outstanding suggestion!!!! Unfortunately we can't yet give them a date...but I'm sure we'll fine tune the details nearer the time. UKB Member RogerDodge has very kindly offered us a night at his place for "beer, bath, bed and a laundry service" on the southern edge of Exmoor. We have 2 friends joining us for a couple of days in the Manchester area, and another couple joining us probably in northern Lancashire. Sami's brother and his wife/kids are threatening to join us for a full 5 days (which could be a bit of a killer for the kids!!!) but they won't say when or where. Other than that, we are pretty much on our own and would welcome company/relish the idea of a bed and bath should the offers arrive... :wink:

More updates to follow...right now I've a wedding to think about! :D :D

Many thanks,

Seth aka Gibster.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Well, thanks to a very generous ChrisC we've smashed through the first £1000 barrier!!!! :D

Thanks must also go to all of the UKB Members who have already donated so freely and willingly, and for the kind sentiments regarding the walk and our forthcoming marriage. You really are a top bunch of folks!!! :D :D

Anybody else out there done the End to End before? The Land's End to John O'Groats Association (est 1983) say that we're the FIRST EVER honeymooners to attempt the walk!!! I'm sure it's been done before, but it's a first in their books :)

Thanks again,

Seth and Sami.
David M

Post by David M »

£1,000+ is already a promising total given you've not yet started! Can't wait to keep up to date with your itinerary. Whereabouts will your blog be?
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Our adventure can be followed by logging on to http://www.facebook.com/pages/Epic-Butt ... 6055676456

And thankyou for your generous donation, David M. Tis all very much appreciated! :)
David M

Post by David M »

Not at all, Gibster. In fact, I'm prepared to inject an additional pound for every species you see and photograph on your blog between now and when you arrive at J.O.G. :D

I'll even add £2 for any aberrations.

Look forward to keeping up to date with you both. Best wishes to the pair of you.

Enjoy.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

And £3 for each recognised subspecies perhaps..? :wink:

We aren't taking our dslr, but Sam's iphone is pretty darn good. We'll do our best to photograph all that we can. Seems almost perverse not to be packing the camera, but we plan to travel light. Although I absolutely cannot be without my trusty binoculars, but the only ID guides I'm taking are a key to British land snails and a wildflower book. I just hope I can cope without my library of ID guides/keys/floras... :?

Cheers,

Gibster.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

We're in Cornwall now...the wedding is on Saturday...the venue has been checked over today...all is going well (so far!!!!!) :D

The walk starts at 10am, Land's End, Cornwall. Be a pleasure to see you there (we'll be the couple with "Just Married" on our rucksacks, walking along with tin cans on strings trailing along behind us) :lol:

Catchya's all on the Other Side!!!!

Gibster & Sami
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Sami and Seth,

Just to say I hope you both have a fabulous day on Saturday and wish you every happiness for the future. I look forward to following your journey online. What you are doing is very special and highly admirable and I hope you get plenty of assistance for the fantastic cause you are supporting.

Good luck.

Kind regards. Mark
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Wishing you both a terrific & memorable day on Saturday.

Will be following your adventures on Facebook & hopefully we'll be able to work something out to meet you during your walk.
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

Have a great day and an even better life Sami and Seth...
I was going to get you a toaster for a wedding present, but a donation for the cause seems more appropriate. :wink:
Fantastic idea to do the walk. Go for it!

Cheers,

Trev
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Have a fantastic day tomorrow and and I wish you every happiness for the future.

Have a really, really goodun

Wurzel
David M

Post by David M »

Seconded. Hope tomorrow's festivities go well and all the best for your subsequent endurance test. :wink:

Return to “Field Trips and Events”