Susie

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
essexbuzzard

Re: Susie

Post by essexbuzzard »

That last one wasn't in the butterfly house,was it? :lol:

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

:lol: Nope.

This little chap was though.
399290_10150750540716972_584286971_11436257_681283479_n.jpg

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Your second photo from Earnley is a wonderful composition - such perfect poise!

Mike

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Susie,

I'm really glad you managed to join us today and get some great shots at the same time. :D

Good hunting.

Kind regards. Mark

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Lovely photos, Susie. I really like the first one, with the combination of yellow and blue.

Good to hear your season is off to a good start!

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Many thanks, Mike, Mark and Lee. The first one is my favourite too.

I was in the Dorking area today so thought I would call in at Box Hill. I saw one male brimstone at the top when the sun came out but it was too quick for a photo.

I wandered past Box Hill Fort today, which surprised me because I have been to Box Hill many times before but didn't know it existed.It's quite a forbidding building.
398963_10150752449801972_584286971_11443542_704163641_n.jpg
375593_10150752449981972_1345857765_n.jpg
398963_10150752449801972_584286971_11443542_704163641_n.jpg
One of the wardens on the site told me a little of the history and also that there is a restored fort at Reigate Hill.

This yew tree was interesting too. It's split right down the middle. I don't remember it being quite so hollow last year so the winter couldn't have done it much good. It reminded me of something out of Greek mythology; two petrified lovers, so close but never quite touching.
483762_10150752450331972_584286971_11443546_604965876_n.jpg
Leaning in for a kiss
394949_10150752450586972_584286971_11443547_1335637272_n.jpg
I blame it on spring. Happy Ostara everyone!

millerd

Post by millerd »

I almost always call in at Box Hill before or after visits to Denbies - mainly for the National Trust cups of tea and homemade cakes! And there can be butterflies about at the right time and in the right spot.

Dave

Susie

Post by Susie »

I had a drink up there today, Dave. I resisted the cakes though, although they did look mighty fine and after a walk to the top of the hill I felt like I deserved one! :lol:

I heard a chiff chaff calling up there today.

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I saw my first ever Brown Hairstreak at Box Hill a few years ago although I didn't know about the fort!

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I will be in the Box Hill/Denbies area 11th/12th April so possibly give that fort a look.

Denbies might by then have Green Hairstreaks and Grizzled Skippers - who knows?

Jack (currently in Ireland)

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Jack, you should also visit Colley Hill at the top of Reigate Hill (the carpark is about 150metres from the M25 turn off for the A217) The terrain is level since you are already on top of the ridge and the fort has been fully restored. They play re-enactment war games every so often which must be quite something to watch! There's also a beautiful watchpoint and a bench which commemorates the crash-landing of a Flying Fortress in WW2. We met a lady who was there at the scene, she was a mere child at the time but clearly recalled the carnage. Even now trees do not grow across the crash site. Cafe and facilities all present and correct too! :)

Cheers (and sorry for the digression...)

Gibster.

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Gibster wrote: There's also a beautiful watchpoint and a bench which commemorates the crash-landing of a Flying Fortress in WW2. We met a lady who was there at the scene, she was a mere child at the time but clearly recalled the carnage. Even now trees do not grow across the crash site.
Gibster.
My mum was a child in London during the start of the blitz (she had been evacuated and then brought back home again when nothing had happened as many children were). During one raid she watched a German aircraft come down and ran to see if the pilot was okay. She stood near the wreckage by a smouldering tree trunk but couldn't find the pilot ... until she realised the tree trunk was actually his torso.

Gibster

Post by Gibster »

So...(confused)...your mom must've been VERY old indeed when she had you, Susy? :wink:

Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Gibster wrote:So...(confused)...your mom must've been VERY old indeed when she had you, Susy? :wink:
Lol. What are you after, Gibster? ;-)

There is a 20 year age gap between me and my oldest brother who has just passed away though. I was the baby of the family.

Susie

Post by Susie »

Something completely different.
I didn't get to see any butterflies today even though it should have been a cracking day for them as I had to spend it indoors. :(

We were raising money for Sports Relief. :D

http://youtu.be/ng2MUnPWiag

Susie

Post by Susie »

I popped along to Denbies this morning. I was hoping for dingy or grizzled skippers and possibly a green hairstreak but didn't see a single butterfly the whole time I was there.

A huge amount of scrub has been taken out at Denbies and these were in the places I was pretty certain of finding green hairstreaks. I am sure they will still be there this year along the hedgeline but I think they'll be much harder to find than previously.

There are hardly any flowers out on the chalk hillside; only the odd dandelion, violet or eyebright. There were very few insects around generally. I did come across a couple of dor beetles. In the woods the bluebells and anenomes are flowering and there are some early purple orchids too.
398304_10150803424966972_584286971_11634765_636095292_n.jpg

jenks

Post by jenks »

I was in the Brecon Beacons today, walking up Craig Cerrig Gleisiad, hoping to see Ring Ouzels. Heard birds calling twice but couldn`t get a sighting. BUT I did see Green veined White, at least 2 male Orange Tips ( on Cuckoo flower ) and at least 5 sightings ( possibly the same individual ) of a large butterfly flying past very fast and purposefully. Tried chasing it to get a better view but running flat out up a hill is now beyond me. By a process of elimination, size, shape, colour, I can only think it/they were Painted Ladies. Has anyone else seen these this year ? All 3 species first time sightings this year for me.

Just to grip you southern englanders off, there is still snow on the top of the Beacons and 2 of the 3 reservoirs are full. And my back lawn after the deluge on Easter Monday is now Pontypridd`s harbour. Who mentioned drought ? !

Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Love the purple orchid :)

Susie

Post by Susie »

Thanks, DMS. :-)

Wow, painted ladies, Jenks? I am so envious!

I went out for a walk over my local patch but yet again failed to see a single butterfly. It is just too blooming cold for them even in the sheltered spots.

Cotswold Cockney

Post by Cotswold Cockney »

jenks wrote:I was in the Brecon Beacons today, walking up Craig Cerrig Gleisiad, hoping to see Ring Ouzels. Heard birds calling twice but couldn`t get a sighting. BUT I did see Green veined White, at least 2 male Orange Tips ( on Cuckoo flower ) and at least 5 sightings ( possibly the same individual ) of a large butterfly flying past very fast and purposefully. Tried chasing it to get a better view but running flat out up a hill is now beyond me. By a process of elimination, size, shape, colour, I can only think it/they were Painted Ladies. Has anyone else seen these this year ? All 3 species first time sightings this year for me.

Just to grip you southern englanders off, there is still snow on the top of the Beacons and 2 of the 3 reservoirs are full. And my back lawn after the deluge on Easter Monday is now Pontypridd`s harbour. Who mentioned drought ? !
Male day flying Emperor Moths this time of year look remarkably like Painted Ladies in flight too. They are very swift in flight responding to a distant calling female.... ;)

Cotswold Cockney is the name
All aspects of Natural History is my game.

Return to “Personal Diaries”