Right-angle Finder

Discussion forum for butterfly photography. You can also get your photos reviewed here!
MikeOxon

Right-angle Finder

Post by MikeOxon »

I noticed that Jack Harrison (on Sussex Kipper's thread) referred to the value of a flexible viewing screen for when, as in my own case, bending down low for photography of butterflies on the ground becomes difficult.

For SLR users, a right-angle finder provides a similar facility. I have found that the relatively inexpensive Chinese-made 'Seagull' adapter works very well on my Nikon and comes with a range of adapters for many DSLRs. The optical quality is very good, though the plastic construction is probably not as robust as camera-makers' own brands but, for less than £40, I have found it an invaluable back-saver. Mine also provides a 2X magnification facility, which is good for checking precise focus.

Mike
dilettante

Re: Right-angle Finder

Post by dilettante »

I use a Seagull too, although not very often, but I agree they are good quality and useful. Not quite as convenient as an articulated screen though, I'm sure.
Willrow

Re: Right-angle Finder

Post by Willrow »

I use a Jessops Angle Finder Fine-Focus on my Nikon D300 which is a remnant from my film days, it has a 360 degree swivel and a full dioptric adjuster, if memory serves it came with the necessary eyecup for attachment. As the back gets 'grumpier' with age... :lol: I find anything that makes taking low down macro/close up images a great help. I must admit though that I've a Canon Digicam :shock: and two recently purchased Panasonic cameras with articulated screens that I intend putting through their paces over the coming months. I'm hoping to make my photography as comfortable as possible in 2012...in short I'm really whimping out this year, cos' I'm worth it :lol: :wink:

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk

Return to “Photography”