jackz432r

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Paul Harfield

Re: jackz432r

Post by Paul Harfield »

Friday 6/4/2012
After a miserable day weatherwise yesterday, today looked to be mostly sunny albeit a little cool. I took the opportunity to make my first visit of the year to a site known for butterflies. This site is called Botley Wood and is about a 15 minute drive away so still part of my local patch. It apparently boasts 35 different species recorded there but it is the first time I have visited. I only found out about the site at the end of last year when my interest in butterflies was reawakened.

I entered the site from Titchfield lane and made my way down towards the board that marks the boundary with Whiteley Walks, another adjoining site known locally for butterflies. I did not have time to 'do' both sites today but spent a pleasant hour and a half after lunch exploring the site. My first species was Speckled Wood of which I saw a total of three and then one comma. I took the same route back to the car and saw two male Orange Tips together feeding mainly on Violet which seems abundant there. These Orange Tips were less flighty than the ones I saw last week and I was able to get a photo, they also seemed smaller than the ones I had seen close to home last week.
Comma Botley Wood 6/4/2012
Comma Botley Wood 6/4/2012
Orange Tip Botley Wood 6/4/2012
Orange Tip Botley Wood 6/4/2012
I was hoping I might have seen Grizzled Skipper, a species that I have never seen before. I know that they exist at this site and in some places I note they are already on the wing. Alas, I was dissappointed on that score. I could only guess on the areas that they might inhabit. They may have been there but I did not see them today :(

I cant wait to go back and explore further, especially later in the season when other species are on the wing.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 14/4/2012
The weather has been pretty erratic this week. Most days the actual weather has not matched the forecast. Today was no exception. The forecast looked promising, sunshine but cool all day. I had the opportunity to go out and about locally so off I went in an optimistic frame of mind, just after lunch. Unfortunately the sunny moments were brief and few, it was cold and very windy :( It was actually colder, windier and cloudier than the previous day. It was soon apparent that I would struggle to see any butterflies today. However I did see 3x Speckled Wood braving the conditions, one of which was very ragged indeed. I returned home dissappointed :( :(

Wednesday 18/4/2012
My borrowed Camera has to go back so last night I took the opportunity to get a couple more shots of my captive Speckled Wood larvae/pupae. All but one has now pupated. The earliest pupated nearly amonth ago and still shows no sign of colour change to indicate imminent hatching. I have got them in a very sheltered area which does not recieve full sun, so maybe this is why they are a little behind the local wild population.
Speckled Wood Pupa
Speckled Wood Pupa
Speckled Wood Pupa
Speckled Wood Pupa
Speckled Wood Pupating Larva
Speckled Wood Pupating Larva
Rain and miserable weather looks set to be staying put into at least the middle of next week here, so not likely to be much butterflying going on for a while at least :(

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Hi Jack,

Grizzled Skippers seek out hot-spots with nectar - sheltered, sunny places with bare ground. At night and in poor weather they will often roost on ribwort plantain flower heads, on which they are exceptionally well camouflaged. The species is an absolute nuisance to track down because it habitually flies fast and low before jinking at the last moment and vanishing into thin air.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Matsukaze wrote:Hi Jack,

Grizzled Skippers seek out hot-spots with nectar - sheltered, sunny places with bare ground. At night and in poor weather they will often roost on ribwort plantain flower heads, on which they are exceptionally well camouflaged. The species is an absolute nuisance to track down because it habitually flies fast and low before jinking at the last moment and vanishing into thin air.
Thanks for that information. It will be a great help when I return to Botley Wood. There were certainly areas which match your description. Hopefully I will have better luck next time.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 21/4/2012
Two more Orange Tips seen at Rodaway Park Hedge End whilst watching my eldest son football training. One was quite ragged. There is a wide footpath/bridleway which runs from this park to Manor Farm Country Park which I have yet to explore, hopefully I will fit that in soon.
This afternoon after lunch I spotted my first Holly Blue fluttering through the garden :D It did not stop and by the time I had got my camera it had gone. I did however spot a newly emerged though slightly disfigured Ruby Tiger moth on the fence in the garden.
Ruby Tiger 21/4/2012
Ruby Tiger 21/4/2012
Sunday 22/4/2012
Went out around my local footpaths near where I live today.
My Local Footpath Near Home
My Local Footpath Near Home
The sun stayed out for long periods between the clouds today but did not see much out and about. Two Speckled Wood and a solitary Comma was all I saw in an hour and a half. The Speckled Woods were quite fresh and I managed to photograph both but not the Comma. I am now back to using my old compact camera, I do not think todays results are too bad. I seem to be accumulating lots of Speckled Wood shots and not much else.
Speckled Wood 22/4/2012 Hedge End
Thursday 26/4/2012
Still no sign of any of my captive Speckled Wood pupae emerging. I have in the last couple of days brought them indoors mainly to get them out of the strong winds and torrential rain. I still have one larva which has yet to reach its final instar. This larva I feel may have been parasitised it seems to move very little and does not eat much. It also looks slightly different to all the others I have reared through. It seems very dark internally near the head and tail and very light in its middle section internally though the skin colour externally is normal. This particular larva was an accidental capture found when collecting foodplant. I will continue to rear it through until its destiny becomes apparent.

Hopefull we will soon get some better weather.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Friday 27/4/2012
I noticed today that one of my Speckled Wood pupae has turned noticeably darker during the day today. A sign that we are getting closer to emergence time hopefully :D

hilary

Post by hilary »

Given the forecast I hope it can hang on for a few more days! Barton on Sea cliff area looks enticing. In my garden and local area I've also yet to see a Red Admiral and, excepting Brimstones(earlier) and Orange Tips, most of the others I have seen only one or two individuals so far this year. Dismal!

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Not much change with my 'captive' Speckled Woods this week. I still have one larva which is very slow growing and I fear has been parasitised or is struggling to fully come out of hibernation. Also the one pupa that has darkened is,I fear, poorly :( as it is not developing as I would have expected.
Darkened Speckled Wood Pupa 27/4/12
Darkened Speckled Wood Pupa 27/4/12
The remaining pupae are all still green and have not changed. I also have a few assorted moth pupae, some of which should emerge soon hopefully. These comprise Cinnabar, Lime Hawk and a couple of unknowns.

No butterflies seen this week at all :cry:
As I have mentioned my work involves a fair bit of driving around all over, regularly close to good butterfly sites. This week has been no exception and as usual no time to stop and explore :(
Wednesday- The best day of the week, the sun did appear for a while. Working in Sway in the New Forest. I really hoped that today I may have finished early enough to take some time out, but alas no. Sway is apparently very close to a known site for Small Pearl Bordered Fritillary, a butterfly I have never seen. I took a route home via the Brockenhurst to Beaulieu road which cuts through some more good sites. I could only dream as I drove on through.
Thursday - My route took me through the village of Selbourne, very close to Noar Hill. Then down the A3 close to Butser Hill. The weather was so miserable I could barely see the tops of trees for mist.

This is all becoming very frustrating. Tantalising glimpses of butterfly sites but no time or poor weather. Still only 6 species so far this year :cry:

The weather looks set to be dissappointing for some time now. Tomorrow looks to be the best day of the week, I shall be in the New Forest at the in laws so with a bit of luck I might see some butterflies.

On a positive note I managed to find some Cuckoo Flower in my parents garden in Fareham. I have retrieved one plant to put in my own garden at the moment but will bring more back when I get the opportunity. I can only find it growing locally to me in one small boggy area where it is actually fenced off and only a few odd plants grow.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Tuesday 8/5/2012
Despite the poor forecast for today it actually turned out nice in the afternoon, sunny and warm. Working close to home in Hedge End at Freeground school. At lunch time I spotted my first Large Whites of the year at least one of which was a male. The other was too far away to sex. Also spotted a yellow butterfly rapidly flying through probably a Brimstone but too far away for positive id. Now up to seven species this year.
Friday 11/5/2012
Much better weather than of late today. Whilst driving through Gosport this afternoon I stopped at traffic lights near a wide sheltered verge and counted 11 various whites/yellows in a very small area, at least 3 were male Orange Tips.
Saturday 12/5/2012
My youngest son was football training at a different club today in Bishopstoke. I noticed that the Itchen Way runs right next to the sports ground, so I took the opportunity to walk for an hour south along the the Itchen Navigation from Bishopstoke. Bright unbroken sunshine but with a stiff cold breeze meant I did not actually see any butterflies. However, I saw my first Damselflies of the year a fresh looking male Agrion virgo fluttering briefly in a sheltered area too far the wrong side of a wire mesh fence to get a decent photo.
Agrion virgo Itchen Navigation 12/5/2012
Agrion virgo Itchen Navigation 12/5/2012
I managed to persuade it onto the end of a stick and transfer it to the right side of the fence. I only had my phone so the picture is not great but I was pleased. After all that trouble another came fluttering toward me and settled close. A bit further on I passed a clump of garlic mustard and I took a cursory glance at the flower heads not expecting to find anything. I was amazed to see nearly every flower head had a single egg on it :o I am not sure if they were Orange Tip or Green Veined White though, is it easy to tell the difference? All in all a productive morning inspite of seeing no butterflies at all.
This afternoon the wind had dropped and it was lovely and warm. I was determined to make the most of the conditions so I headed for Botley Wood.
Botley Wood
Botley Wood
Truth be told I was a little dissappointed with my first visit to this site a few weeks ago when I had hoped in vain to see Grizzled Skipper. Today the results were much better despite the ground being very wet and almost impassable in places. I walked the same route that I did last visit so I still have not seen the whole site yet.
Today was the day for Brimstone up to 9 male seen and 3 female. One of the females looked to be egglaying just away from the main track on what looked like no more than a stick! Once she had moved on I squeezed myself through to examine the chosen shrub but could find no eggs. The shrub had virtually no greenery on it just a few buds beginning to open. I also saw up to 6 orange tips all male. What made me really happy was finding one solitary Grizzled Skipper, my first ever sighting :D :D
Grizzled Skipper Botley Wood 12/5/2012
I spent some time photographing this individual but my results are not great. Although I looked I saw no others but just the one made my day very worthwhile. I was surprised not to see any Speckled Wood at all. Overall my best day butterflying of the year so far :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Monday 14/5/2012
I have removed my 'captive' Speckled Wood pupae from their individual containers and attached them to plants in various positions around the garden out in the open. They have as yet shown no change in colour except for one which I suspected was sick and had started to smell so I disposed of that one.
Wednesday 16/5/2012
I noticed today one of the remaining pupae beginning to change colour. This one I can just about see from the kitchen window so I will be able to check its progress quite closely hopefully.
Thursday 17/5/2012
The one pupae is now showing distinct wing patterning through the pupal case. Though the abdominal area is still green, about 5-7 days till emergence I guess :?: :?: :?:
Today at work I was coming down the A3 near Butser at lunch time so I pulled into a layby for 10 mins. Whilst stopped I spotted at least 2 male Orange Tip (very small) and a Brimstone on the steep bank beside the layby whilst the sun was trying to shine through the cloud cover.
Saturday 19/5/2012
Today it was much warmer, less windy and more sunny than of late so I could not miss the opportunity to do some butterfly watching close to home today. Along my closest footpath along the railway line unfortuneately the council had been round in the last couple of days and cut the grass and verges :x Tons of nettles, Garlic Mustard and unknown wildlife gone forever :cry: I do not understand why they need to hack so much down particularly in an area where they proudly label small areas of Dandelions as 'WIld Flower Area'. In reality there is more wild flowers outside of these small set aside areas.
It was a day of ones today. Large White, Brimstone, Peacock, Speckled Wood and Holly Blue all singular in number. The Brimstone was quite a worn specimen and it promptly tried to hide under a Bramble leaf right in front of me, giving my first Brimstone photo of the year albeit a slightly unusual pose.
Brimstone Hiding Hedge End 19/5/2012
Brimstone Hiding Hedge End 19/5/2012
Also seen were a pair of what I think are leafhoppers they are about 15mm long.
Leaf Hopper ? Hedge End
Leaf Hopper ? Hedge End
I am slightly perplexed by the lack of Speckled Wood around here currently :? They were so plentiful last September. I saw a few early in the season but more recently I have seen very few locally. In saying that my own 'captive' Speckled Wood pupae have yet to emerge (more from them later) so may be they are just adapting to the weather and in a week or so we will be hopefully back to the numbers seen at the end of last year.
Sunday 20/5/2012
One of my captive Speckled Wood pupae is now very close to emergence. Between yesterday and today the abdominal segments have become distended a sure sign of imminent stirrings.
Speckled Wood Pupa 19/5/2012
Speckled Wood Pupa 19/5/2012
Speckled Wood Pupa 20/5/2012
Speckled Wood Pupa 20/5/2012
I have been monitoring it all day and was hoping I might see an adult by this evening but as of 9pm it is still not emerged. I would not be surprised if there is a freshly emerged Speckled Wood waiting for me in the morning :D

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Monday 21/5/2012
At 7.30 this morning there had still been no activity.
7.30 this morning
7.30 this morning
I was unexpectedly late home from work this evening. By the time I got in the show was over :roll: It chose a good day to return to the wild, I wish it luck :)
7.30 this evening
7.30 this evening
I now have three remaining 'captive' pupae, all still green. I hope I get to see at least one emerge.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Friday 25/5/2012
I managed to fit in a very late visit to Botley Wood today, my third visit there. It was gone 6pm when I arrived so I was not very hopeful. To be honest I was more intent on unwinding for an hour after a hard day at work. I seemed to be alone there and it was very relaxing, dappled sunlight in leafy glades, pools of sunshine in secluded clearings very relaxing and absolutely beautiful. The only noise was the birds and the occasional rustling of deer in the trees :D
Parking along Titchfield lane is poor for this site and I only know of 2 entrances to the wood. The road is a fast, narrow, windy country lane with no pavement or verge. Where I normally park is a layby near the electricity sub station access road but this entails a dicey walk along the lane to the entrance. Today I parked at the safer entrance, only enough space for 3 cars but nobody else there today. I found the wood again quite wet in places. I fairly soon came across an open area catching the late sun where there were several damselflies and Dragon flies flying which I observed for a while before descending deeper into the wood. I only saw two butterflies, a solitary Orange Tip and then a while later my first Small Heath of the year. Neither stopped and no doubt they were on the look out for somewhere to spend the night. I also saw 3 or 4 Speckled Yellow moths flying around in a late pool of sunshine. It was good to see a different part of the wood and find a large pond which will be good for Dragonflies/Damselflies if I can manage to get back at a better time of day. An enjoyable hour.
Saturday 26/5/2012
Today I noticed a second of my Speckled Wood pupae beginning to change colour. I spent some at my parents house today in Fareham. I was amazed to see at least 8 Blues flitting through the garden. Some stopped briefly to investigate the Holly tree but none stopped, Holly or Common Blue I imagine. I also saw a couple of Speckled Wood. This afternoon quite late I managed to get out for an hour along my local footpath in Hedge End I saw 2 Small White my first of the year and I am pleased to say at least 8 Speckled Wood and a Comma larva on Nettle in the same spot as I had seen adult Comma earlier in the year.
Comma Larva
Comma Larva
This path is now nearly completely overgrown in week or so I will struggle to get through in places.
Sunday 27/5/2012
I was surprised by the emergence of a captive Cinnabar moth today.
Freshly Emerged Cinnabar Moth
Freshly Emerged Cinnabar Moth
This was reared from larvae collected along my local footpath last year. This was now released into the garden. I spent some time in various parks locally today Football with the kids, scooter rides etc and was pleased to see 20+ Speckled Wood during the day and a couple of Holly Blue as well as several different types of Damselfly.
Monday 28/5/2012
Today the second of my Speckled Wood pupae has emerged and gone, again not seen by me. This one developed much quicker than the last. 3 days from colour change to emergence whereas the previous one was 5 days from coulour change to emergence. No doubt the weather has played a part in speeding this process up it has been consistently warm day and night for the last 10days.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Wednesday 6/6/2012
I went for a quick walk late this afternoon with my son along my local footpath, during a gap in the weather. I spotted a large 'tent' of Nettle leaves and telltale droppings on the leaves beneath which looked quite promising :D I teased apart the leaves just enough to confirm that it contained a Red Admiral larva, nearly fully grown I would say. The first evidence I have seen this year of Red Admirals having not seen any adults at all. I will return and check on it over the next few days.

Saturday 9/6/2012
I walked south from Bishopstoke to Itchen Valley Country Park along the Itchen Way whilst my youngest son was at football training this morning. The weather was warm and sunny but with a stiff breeze blowing. I thought I would check up on the eggs I had found on Garlic Mustard a few weeks ago. The large clump of Garlic Mustard where I had found eggs on nearly every flower head seemed to have been cleared away since my last visit :( , bar one plant which did have an Orange Tip larva on it. I walked a liitle further on today and found another clump of Garlic Mustard on which I counted at least 6 Orange Tip larvae all about half grown. The only butterflies seen were 7 Speckled Wood. Also seen several damselflies, Beautiful Demoisellle, Large Red and several smaller blue damselflies.
Orange Tip Larva 9/6/2012 Bishopstoke
Orange Tip Larva 9/6/2012 Bishopstoke
Large Red Damselfly 9/6/2012 Bishopstoke
Large Red Damselfly 9/6/2012 Bishopstoke
This afternoon along my local footpath in less than ideal conditions I went to check on the Red Admiral larva I had found on Wednesday. Unfortunately I was unable to find it. A brief appearance of the sun brought with it a flash of orange. Trying its hardest not to get blown away in the wind, my first Large Skipper of the year. The sun promptly disappeared again and the little chap settled on a fern and stayed put despite me pulling the leaf around in all directions to get a photo :D
Large Skipper 9/6/2012 Hedge End
Large Skipper 9/6/2012 Hedge End

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Wednesday 20/6/2012
A lull in the bad weather and a day off work meant a good opportunity for some butterfly watching. I spent a couple of hours at Botley Wood, my local patch, exploring some different areas of the site. I also managed to get out somewhat earlier than I have been able to manage so far this year, I was there by 10am. My visit started slowly with a Speckled Wood and then in an area I had not been to before I found several Large Skippers. I then came upon the pond and spent some time watching the abundant Dragonflies. Downy Emerald, Azure Hawker and many chasers (not sure which species) and damselflies . I then walked up through an area of long grass and found numerous Small Heath and Meadow Brown. Of all the butterflies I have seen so far this year Meadow Brown has been the most difficult to approach and photograph. Later I came across one solitary Grizzled Skipper which was tiny.
Large Skipper Botley Wood 20.6.2012
Large Skipper Botley Wood 20.6.2012
When I returned home I was shocked to see that I had managed to aquire a dozen or so ticks, it took a good hour to remove them all! :shock:
Saturday 23/6/2012
A short visit to Stoke Park Wood, Bishopstoke whilst my son was football training at around 10am this morning. The weather was less than perfect, very breezy and only small gaps in the cloud. The first time I have visited this site. Looks like it is worth another visit although I saw no butterflies at all until 5 minutes before I left when the sun came out. As the sun appeared so did three Speckled Wood one of which was very large, perhaps a third bigger than most I have seen this year. I assumed it was a male until it demonstrated typical egg laying behaviour and produced an egg on a blade of grass in front of me. Unfortuneately photographing butterfly eggs on a blade of grass in the wind is beyond the capabilities of my camera. Just before I got in the car a Red Admiral descended onto the path to sun itself.
Red Admiral Stoke Park Wood 23.6.2012
Red Admiral Stoke Park Wood 23.6.2012
Thursday 28/6/2012
I managed another hour at Botley Wood today mid afternoon. The conditions were hot and sunny with a light breeze. The ground was very soggy and waterlogged in places after all the rain recently. Wary of the ticks after my previous visit I wore long trousers this time. I was hoping for White Admiral and SilverWashed Fritillary this visit. My first encounter was with a couple of Meadow Brown close to the entrance and then several Speckled Wood. I decided to search a new area after seeing some likely looking places in the distance I was soon rewarded with the unmistakable sight of a couple of large Fritillaries feeding on the abundant Thistles in this area. I am a bit of a novice when it comes to Fritillaries and these did not look like Silverwashed Fritillaries and were not strong flyers. I could not get close enough to photograph them. Could they be Dark Green Fritillaries? A bit further on in a different clearing I found one solitary fritillary cruising up and down, definately a Silver Washed male but again no photograph. After studying pictures at home I think the first two were female Silver Washed Frits but not sure. I now know what to look for. Also seen today 25+ Meadow Brown and 7 or 8 Large Skipper. No White Admiral though. On my return home I found I had reduced my tick count to 3. Slightly worrying, I am not sure if there is any way of deterring ticks. Maybe this site has an infestation of them, there are lots of Deer here.
Large Skipper Botley Wood 28.6.2012
Large Skipper Botley Wood 28.6.2012
Saturday 30/6/2012
Along my local footpath today for an hour around 4pm. The conditions were sunny spells and cloud and a blustery wind. This little used footpath is completely grown over in places during summer and is hard going. 3 Red Admirals seen including at least 1 egglaying female, at least 15 Meadow Brown and 10 or so Large Skipper including at least 1 egglaying female.
Large Skipper Ovum Hedge End 30.6.2012
Large Skipper Ovum Hedge End 30.6.2012
My camera struggles with butterfly eggs :?
Sunday 1/7/2012
A trip to the inlaws today at Woodlands near Ashurst on the edge of the New Forest. Not much chance for butterfly watching. But three Red Admirals were fighting for control of the small park area whilst playing football with the kids. I managed to convince the boys to stand motionless :) near the favourite spot of the winning Red Admiral and as expected he came and landed on my arm and then on each of my boys shoulders and then on my eldest boys back. Probing his shirt with his tongue. No camera with me at this point though. I returned later with camera and he was still patrolling the same spot.
Red Admiral Woodlands 1.7.2012
Red Admiral Woodlands 1.7.2012

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Looking back at the first half of my first butterflying year, it has been fantastic reacquainting myself with species that I have not been close to for 30 years or so. They are like old friends really :D I have made two new friends so far, Grizzled Skipper earlier in the year and Ringlet yesterday. Hopefully in the next couple of months I will meet a couple more new ones. I have seen 16 species to date this year :D

I suppose I am a little dissappointed but not surprised that I have not been able to get out more often for longer and further afield. There always seems to be other more pressing things to do. I am very envious of those on here that seem to have butterflying as thier primary occupation and work as a secondary passtime to be fitted in as and when :wink:

For anybody that has read my diary and wondered about my captive Speckled Wood, I never did get to see any emerge :( Of the last two one failed to emerge and one disappeared completely, a tasty meal for something I should think. I am now tending one Large Skipper egg. This was retrieved from a local footpath and should be due to hatch any day, watch this space.

Thankfully I do not seem to have had any longlasting ill effects from my recent encounter with ticks :oops: I shall prepare better in future.

Now all I need is for this incessant rain to stop falling :x

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Tuesday 17/7/2012
My Large Skipper egg, laid on the 30/6/2012, has changed colour in the last 24 hours. I think it will hatch in the next day or so :D I have food plant potted up for this though it is quite small at present
Large Skipper egg 17.7.2012
Large Skipper egg 17.7.2012

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Friday 20/7/2012
When I got in from work tonight I was pleased to find that my Large Skipper egg had hatched :D
Newly hatched Large Skipper larva 20/7/2012
Newly hatched Large Skipper larva 20/7/2012
The larva is tiny, very pale, almost white with a shiny black head. I have transferred it to potted growing foodplant (Cocksfoot) out in the open in a similar aspect to that which it was found. The photo is the best I could do in a hurry, I will try and get a better one tomorrow.

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Saturday 21/7/2012
This morning my Large Skipper larva had started to draw the edges of his grass blade together. The first photo was taken at around 9am and the second was taken at around 12am, by which time his constuction is completed. You can just make out the larva inside.
Large Skipper larva 21/7/2012 9am
Large Skipper larva 21/7/2012 9am
Large Skipper larva 21/7/2012 12am
Large Skipper larva 21/7/2012 12am
Whilst all this was going on I managed a quick productive walk down at Manor Farm Country Park. This was probably my best day for total species seen so far this year. Lots of fresh Gatekeepers seen, my first of the year also seen Meadow Brown, Marbled White, Speckled Wood, Ringlet, Comma, Small Heath, whites :D
Tomorrow I hope to see a few more maybe, Purple Emperor if I am lucky :wink:

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Sunday 22/7/2012
Today I was determined to get in some decent butterfly time. I set off as early as possible for Botley Wood and arrived before 9am. Bright warm sunshine (for a change) as per forecast, meant conditions were ideal :D . The site was found extremley muddy and wet as expected. I was hoping luck was on my side and that I might catch a glimpse of the Purple Emperor but I did not really have a clue where to look :? . I thought there might be more chance of seeing White Admiral or maybe Purple Hairstreak. The day started well more or less as soon as I got out of the car with a couple of Silver Washed Fritillaries warming in the sunshine together with a mixture of 7 or 8 Ringlets and Meadow Browns some sunning themselves on the sign that marks the entrance to the wood. As I decended further and further into the wood Silver Washed Fritillaries were everywhere I looked, together with lots of Meadow Brown and Ringlets. When I came into a wide grassy ride there were lots of Small Skippers. I later found out that Essex Skippers are present on this site as well so what I saw is likely to have been a mixture. I also saw more whites today than I have on any other day this year with Small, Large and Green Veined seen in small numbers. I also found several areas where Marbled Whites were prolific and lots of fresh Gatekeepers. To round off the days tally I also spotted a couple of Red Admirals, a couple of Large Skippers and a solitary Speckled Wood. I was quite pleased at this point after being there for maybe a couple of hours, but no White Admirals seen or Purple Emperor.

As yet I have not bumped into anyone else butterfly watching at any visit to this site. I then walked down a so far unexplored track and heard voices in the distance as I came out into the open area where the access road is I spotted three chaps with binoculars and cameras etc. I asked what they were looking for, although I had a good idea :wink: . They confirmed that they were looking for Purple Emperor and that one had been spotted earlier on that day. Hello to Phil, Allan and Ivor if you are on this site at all. Thanks for the friendly advice and chat and yes my name is Paul (despite my username) After a chat I left them to it I then went back to the area I had come from. There I met with another chap called Russ who was watching half a dozen butterflies on a bramble bush. Whilst we were chatting a lady came past doing her transect. She was later introduced to me as Tracy together with Richard who is the Warden/Ranger/Manager of the site for HCC who own it, hello to you both. Introductions by Anne a very knowledgable and friendly BC member who also showed me a short cut back to where I was parked, thanks for that, as I was 2 hours overdue to get home! :shock:

Although I was initially quite pleased with my sightings for the day it became clear, after talking to all these butterfly folk who are far more knowledgable and experienced than myself, that butterfly numbers are considerably down at this site compared to previous years :( . I had a thoroughly enjoyable day and returned home at 2.45pm after originally saying I would be back by 12!!! It was lovely meeting the other butterfly folk, all very friendly and knowledgable. I am sure we will bump into each other again at some point.

I never did get to see White Admiral although a couple had been spotted that day. I was told that normally this time of year they are very abundant. And as for Purple Emperor, well I did not expect to be very successful on that one, maybe next week. Highlight of the day having Silver Washed Fritillary and Small Skipper settle on me. Low point of the day was finding that all my butterfly pictures were out of focus for some reason :( , maybe wrong setting on the camera. So I will include a couple of general pictures of the site.
Marbled White, Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Small Skipper, Essex Skipper, Large White, Green Veined White, Red Admiral and Silver Washed Fritillary seen in this area at Botley Wood
Marbled White, Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Gatekeeper, Small Skipper, Essex Skipper, Large White, Green Veined White, Red Admiral and Silver Washed Fritillary seen in this area at Botley Wood
Small Skipper, Essex Skipper, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Silver Washed Fritillary seen in this area at Botley Wood
Small Skipper, Essex Skipper, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet and Silver Washed Fritillary seen in this area at Botley Wood

Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Thursday 26/7/2012
I could not resist a quick trip to my local site, Botley Wood, this evening at about 6.30 pm. I was pleased to see my first 2 White Admirals of the year catching the last of the days sun and a few Whites. I also think I may have seen my first ever Purple Hairstreaks high up in the sunny top of an Oak tree by the pond. Unfortunately my binoculars will not get me close enough to positively id, but there were certainly 3 or 4 small butterflies flitting around at the top of this Oak. I will certainly return at the weekend with some stronger magnification.

Return to “Personal Diaries”