Mark Colvin

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Nick Broomer

Re: Mark Colvin

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi Mark,

That Common Olivewing is a stunning butterfly, and you have captured its beauty perfectly. A lovely photo.

All the best,

Nick.

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Cracking photos, Mark :D

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Dear Nick and Susie,

Many thanks for your very kind comments. :D

More pictures to follow ...

Kindest regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Earnley Butterflies, 19 March 2012 – Part 2

Continued …

The Angled Castor (Ariadne ariadne).
Angled Castor (Ariadne ariadne)

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Cracking Olivewing, Mark. What a beautiful butterfly, on both sides.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That Ariadne ariadne brings back memories, Mark! In 2010 I watched its close cousin, Ariadne merione, in the cemetery in Kolkata where my grandfather is buried. It was impossible to get anywhere near and invariably settled in deep shade when it did pause a moment (from this behaviour and its general appearance I wasn't even sure if I wasn't looking at a moth initially), so all my photos were rubbish. It looks as though your (brilliant) pictures were taken out of the direct sun too.

Guy

Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Guy,

Many thanks for your extremely generous comment. :D

In fairness, there wasn’t a great deal of shelter from the sun in the glasshouse though I do recall these two shots were taken in more protected areas away from direct sunlight. I’m not a lover of taking pictures in very bright conditions and feel you generally get a much better picture without it.

I’m glad my pictures of Ariadne stimulated the memory bank!

Good hunting.

Kindest regards. Mark

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Earnley Butterflies, 19 March 2012 – Part 3

Continued …

The Wood Nymph or Grey Glassy Tiger (Ideopsis juventa).
Wood Nymph or Grey Glassy Tiger (Ideopsis juventa)
Wood Nymph or Grey Glassy Tiger (Ideopsis juventa)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Hi Lee,

Many thanks for your kind message.
Lee Hurrell wrote:Cracking Olivewing, Mark.
I'm really glad you like it, as shortly after taking the dorsal shot I dropped my camera on the rocks below narrowly missing the pond! That increased my heart rate somewhat.

Apart from a few minor scratches to the close up lens housing I did no apparent damage ...

Kind regards. Mark

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Phew! :shock:

Lee

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Heyshott Escarpment, 21 March 2012

Positive signs …

Today I joined John Murray for a walk around Heyshott Escarpment.

Climbing the upper slopes we were very pleased to note a single Cowslip in flower, rising above the delicate green leaves of those yet to awaken, our first this season. Several Wild Strawberry plants were also in flower along with numerous Violet. A solitary Whitebeam stood proud though heavily laden with Mistletoe. Three Red Admiral were observed on the reserve and I was very pleased to note several male Brimstone, my first this year, as I left the village of Heyshott on route to Graffham.

It’s all starting to happen …
UKBP1000779.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Earnley Butterflies, 22 March 2012 – Part 4

Continued …

The Scarlet Peacock (Anartia amathea).
Scarlet Peacock (Anartia amathea)
Scarlet Peacock (Anartia amathea)

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Birchfold Copse, 23 March 2012

It’s all starting to happen …

My decision to stay local was the right one, as today was my turn for the 'Great Awakening'.

I arrived at Birchfold Copse, located next to Kings Park Wood in West Sussex, mid morning. The sky was blue and clear, the sun was shining and the temperature was around 17°C upon arrival, though this soon increased to a high of around 20°C.

As soon as I entered the wood a Comma flew past, almost immediately followed by a male Brimstone. My spirits were instantly raised, my senses heightened. Conditions were perfect and I soon added more of both species along with Red Admiral and Peacock. Although the Brimstone and Peacock were not sitting around for anyone, the Comma and Red Admiral were readily sitting and noted feeding on various dung types on more than one occasion. I also observed one Comma feeding on a high level sap run. My totals for the session were 13 Comma, 3 Red Admiral, 2 Peacock and at least 17 Brimstone (possibly more), of which only one was female.

The good weather is said to continue …

Great news ...
Comma, Birchfold Copse (23 March 2012)
Comma, Birchfold Copse (23 March 2012)
Last edited by Mark Colvin on Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Warnham LNR, 23 March 2012

Later ...

Well I like it …
Blue Tit (male), Warnham LNR (23 March 2012)
Blue Tit (male), Warnham LNR (23 March 2012)

MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Mark Colvin wrote:Well I like it …
and so you should - a delightful portrait!

Mike

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Mark Colvin wrote: Well I like it …
So do I!

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Thank you. :D

I'm really glad you both liked it.

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Isle of Wight, 29 March 2012 – Part 1

In search of polychloros

Today I was pleased to be joined by Nick (hideandseek) for a trip to the Isle of Wight. It was to be a long day, our ferry leaving Portsmouth at 8am with our return journey scheduled for 7pm.

Woodhouse Copse

Woodhouse Copse is a small mixed woodland of approximately 18 hectares located to the northeast on the Isle of Wight. Its key features are the central grass ride, the SSSI marshy wet woodland and a bluebell rich area under the planted beech trees. Three hectares of the wood is designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). This area is also internationally designated as part of a wider Special Area of Conservation and Ramsar site. The remaining 15 hectares is locally recognised as a Site Important for Nature Conservation (SINC). The whole woodland lies within the Isle of Wight Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB). The woodland was acquired by the Forestry Commission in 1957 and managed by them until its sale in November 2009.

This was my first visit to the site. With the above description and the knowledge that Large Tortoiseshell have been recorded here, our expectations were running high. What we found in reality was an area of woodland that has suffered abuse at the hand of man.

The following picture tells the story …

We left and headed for Walter’s Copse …
UKBP1010046.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Isle of Wight, 29 March 2012 – Part 2

In search of polychloros

Walter’s Copse

Walter’s Copse is a well manicured and highly welcoming 19 hectare site of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI). It is located on the southeast corner and within Newtown Harbour National Nature Reserve (NNR). The reserve is on the northern coast of the Isle of Wight and comprises areas of estuary and foreshore with extensive mudflats and saltmarsh, together with the adjacent meadows and woodland. The area is owned and managed by the National Trust.

On Tuesday, 27 March 2012, Peter Hunt (marmari) was extremely fortunate to find and photograph an overwintered Large Tortoiseshell (probably female) whilst hunting for Orange Tip in this area. Despite spending in the region of five hours there today, in what can only be described as ideal conditions, we were not graced with the similar privilege. It should be said at this point, it's amazing just how large a Comma can look in flight when you are looking for a large orange-brown butterfly, my heart missing a beat on more than one occasion.

Whilst writing this report I notice that another specimen has been seen and photographed today …

I’ll just have to go back …

Species seen:

Brimstone
Orange Tip
Comma
Peacock
Speckled Wood
UKBP1010004.JPG

Mark Colvin

Post by Mark Colvin »

Ardingly Reservoir, 3 April 2012

Three men, a hosepipe and an empty reservoir …

Several days ago I took time out to take a stroll around drought ridden Ardingly Reservoir in West Sussex. I know the reservoir well, having fished and bird watched there on many occasions and observed its construction during the late seventies. The reservoir, completed in 1978 due to increasing demands for water supply in the region, serves a dual role of water supply and river regulation. At full capacity, it is designed to hold 5,206 million litres of water. Its maximum depth is around 14 metres. Water is stored here in times of surplus and released at times of shortage via the valve tower into the River Ouse.

The Government has declared that the South East of England is officially in drought as we are currently experiencing the driest two-year period on record. This continuing absence of prolonged rainfall means that water sources are not being replenished by rainfall. The reservoir was holding in the region of 2,551 million litres of water on 12 March 2012, less than 50% of its capacity. Whilst I start to write light rain has started to fall, but how much will we get? I personally hope that sufficient seasonal rain falls soon (preferably overnight) and that any effects the drought may have do not have any significant negative impact on our butterfly fauna …

Time will undoubtedly tell ...
UKBP1000954.JPG

Return to “Personal Diaries”