Neil Hulme

This forum contains a topic per member, each representing a personal diary.
Neil Hulme

Re: Sussex Kipper

Post by Neil Hulme »

South Downs Way Ahead

On Friday (24th February) I was delighted to hear that a bid for major funding of a Nature Improvement Area (NIA) project, linking chalk habitat along the South Downs Way between Winchester and Eastbourne, had been successful. As part of a team led by the South Downs National Park Authority, Dan Hoare and I have worked alongside other partner organisations in bringing together wide ranging aspects of this ambitious proposal. The £608,000 DEFRA grant will be supplemented by other lines of funding, to finance a c. £3 million plan to safeguard and enhance endangered chalk grassland and its flora and fauna, including butterflies and moths.

The South Downs National Park Authority (SDNPA) is yet to reach its first birthday, but BC Sussex has a long and close working relationship with many of its staff. As former employees of the South Downs Joint Committee (SDJC) they have provided the expertise and continuity necessary to give the SDNPA a flying start. The SDJC has always been incredibly helpful with butterfly-related projects, providing both financial support and hands-on help via their ever-willing staff and volunteer force. Under the new National Park banner this excellent relationship continues.

Butterflies will be very important in the monitoring process, with indicator species such as the Adonis, Chalkhill and Small Blues providing a measure of chalk habitat health, extent and connectivity. Other aspects of the NIA project focus on habitat creation for the Duke of Burgundy, complementing and extending the successful work done by the Sussex Branch in recent years. This further connects with the new BC national ‘Dukes on the Edge’ project which is now underway. It is gratifying to see such strong partnerships develop for the benefit of our rarer butterflies.

On Monday (27th February) I joined SDNPA personnel and others at Devil’s Dyke, where Lord Taylor of Holbeach cleared some scrub for the benefit of the assembled media. Unfortunately the Downs were shrouded in a thick mist, obscuring the wonderful views that can usually be enjoyed from here.

Emily Brennan, SDNPA’s Strategy Lead for Biodiversity, wrote on the South Downs National Park Forum (http://www.southdownsforum.ning.com) “We are delighted that the South Downs Way Ahead project, led by the South Downs National Park Authority, has been chosen by DEFRA as one of twelve trailblazing Nature Improvement Areas for England and awarded £608,000 in support.

South Downs Way Ahead will focus on protecting and enhancing South Downs chalk downland, which is vital to the survival of rare and endangered wildlife and is relied on by millions of people to provide clean drinking water and valuable green space. The project is made up of 28 partners including farmers, conservationists, NGOs, community groups, government bodies, research organisations and water companies, as well as the National Park Authority. We will be working together to join up areas of chalk downland along the famous South Downs Way National Trail.

This news has come just one month before the National Park celebrates its first birthday and really shows what can be achieved when people from across the South Downs join forces.
The project has five objectives:

Walk the Chalk: To broaden the South Downs Way National Trail as a semi-natural corridor and improve the natural qualities of the route.
Linking the Fragments: To achieve real improvements to the conservation and management of chalk grassland at the heart of the matrix of downland habitats.
Surface to Groundwater: To demonstrate the viability and benefits of an input based approach to the improvement of groundwater quality.
Town to Down: To assess and demonstrate the benefits of ecosystem services to urban populations.
Valuing the Chalk: To attribute environmental, economic and social values to the benefits and services provided by chalk downland.”

We will be asking all of our members and other recorders to make a special effort to record the ‘South Downs Blues’ (Adonis, Chalkhill and Small) in the future, as these iconic downland species have an important role to play in meeting the aims of this fantastic project.

Neil
SDWA NIA Landscape 1.jpg
SDWA NIA Landscape 3.jpg.jpg
SDWA NIA Landscape 2.jpg

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Some simply stunning scenery there Neil to go with some tremendous work, ace!

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Diary entries for 2012 have been archived. If there are missing images in this post, then they can be found in this archive if one exists. All archives can be found here.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Brilliant as always Neil. No need to say more than that.

Jack

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

The Great Awakening

In glorious sunshine the hibernators finally came out in force today (12th March 2012), at least in Sussex. Of course isolated sightings can occur at any time from New Year onwards, but the en masse emergence of butterflies from their seasonal slumber, the Great Awakening, is an event I eagerly await each year. It means that winter is all-but-over and the Orange Tips, Holly Blues and Grizzled Skippers of spring are just around the corner. :D

I spent the day at the BC Park Corner Heath and Rowland Wood Reserves, in the company of a few Sussex Branch committee and reserve management group members. Both reserves look fantastic thanks to the efforts of the dedicated volunteer force. A lot of clearance work has now been done over much of Rowland, and the once dark and lifeless conifer plantation has been transformed into woodland that just oozes promise.

As soon as I parked at the entrance my spirits were lifted by a male Brimstone, then another, then three in view at the same time. Every one of the dozen I saw put a smile on my face. Typically, the male Brimstones retired early in the afternoon, having failed to flush any females from the undergrowth. I didn't see any after 2.30pm. However, by the time I retraced my steps around the PCH Reserve at about 3pm it was obvious that many Commas and Peacocks had emerged from their log pile refuges throughout the day, bringing the totals for each species to 9 and 6.

For me the great thing about a passion for butterflies is that the anticipation and enjoyment of each season increases with every year. 2012 will be the best yet.
UKB Comma PCH 12.3.12.jpg
UKB Peacock PCH 12.3.12.JPG

David M

Post by David M »

Sussex Kipper wrote:For me the great thing about a passion for butterflies is that the anticipation and enjoyment of each season increases with every year. 2012 will be the best yet.
Absolutely agree, Neil. This time of year doesn't generate large numbers of species but, as you say, represents promise for what's to come.

Susie

Post by Susie »

That was a lovely post and I fully share your enthusiasm for the coming year. :D
Sussex Kipper wrote: It means that winter is all-but-over and the Orange Tips, Holly Blues and Grizzled Skippers of spring are just around the corner. :D
I'm keeping a close eye on the cuckoo flower in my garden. The flower stems are a few inches tall now. As soon as the buds start opening I'll be out looking for Orange Tips!

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Bird's-eye View

Today (14th March) I attended another work party at Heyshott Escarpment with BC Sussex and Murray Downland Trust volunteers. Although Mark (Colvin) couldn't join us on this occasion he sent me a fantastic image of the site, taken while hanging from below a helicopter. The elongate stretch of heavy scrub and secondary woodland cleared over the winter is clearly visible centre left.

At the moment Duke of Burgundy occurs mainly over the open chalk grassland area higher up the slope to the right. The similar topography of long-abandoned chalk workings on the western flank of the reserve (near right) was colonised last season and it is hoped that numbers will increase significantly here this year.

In the middle distance (top right) a habitat corridor can be seen, running along the wooded downland crest. This was cut several years back and connects to the equally interesting Graffham Down Reserve, where Purple Emperors can be seen sparring above the Downs at 730' amsl. This is an area blessed with some fantastic butterflies.
Heyshott Escarpment 2012 by Mark Colvin.jpg

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Earliest of Early Starts

Despite a heavy cold and a touch of tonsillitis, I couldn't resist a few hours on Mill Hill at Shoreham this afternoon (25th March), following Dave Sadler's incredibly early Grizzled Skipper sighting of the previous day. The Corrigan family were already there, so Ellie, Helen and Chris helped me scour the slopes until we got lucky. After several hours without a glimpse I spotted a pair of male Grizzlies indulging in a territorial dispute at the base of the slope. Throughout the afternoon we saw three, possibly four individuals.

We also watched at least ten different Peacocks sunning themselves on the bare earth around rabbit warrens and scrapes, and a male Small White patrolled the lower scrub line. Today also provided my earliest ever records of the diminutive day-flying moths Pyrausta purpuralis and Pyrausta despicata.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

March Madness

On 27th March I recorded TEN different species in a day, which I cannot recall ever doing before during the month of March. In just a couple of hours at Mill Hill (Shoreham) I counted 4 Grizzled Skipper, 1 Orange Tip, 1 Speckled Wood, 1 Holly Blue, 1 Brimstone, 1 Small White, 14 Peacock, 1 Red Admiral, 2 Small Tortoiseshell and 2 Comma. Bonkers :shock: .
UKB Grizzled Skipper, Mill Hill 27.3.12.JPG

Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Neil,

Thats an outstanding number of species for March, I am :mrgreen: but really impressed :D

On the couple of times that I have managed to get out recently its been all Peacocks and Commas for me with a single Small Tortoiseshell.

Cheers,

Neil F.

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Yes,such a list in March would have been unthinkable just a month ago. i have just had my first holly blue,orange tips and speckled woods of the year. I look foreward to visiting Mill Hill in a couple of weeks,when the dingies should be starting.
Cheers.

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Orange Tip Eggs In March!

This morning I visited a network of quiet lanes near Five Oaks, in the hope of photographing the butterfly that will always mark the beginning of spring for me. Every year Orange Tips are plentiful along the miles of roadside ditches which abound with cuckoo flower and garlic mustard, this being the most reliable site I know of. What I didn't expect was to see female Orange Tips already laying eggs! Five males, which occasionally clashed with male Green-veined Whites, and two ovipositing females was a good tally so early in the season. One amorous male repeatedly 'tried it on' with one of the females, forcing her to adopt the classic rejection posture several times, flopping into the grass with flattened wings and raising the tip of her abdomen.
UKB Orange Tip female, Five Oaks 30.3.12.jpg
UKB Orange Tip female, Five Oaks 30.3.12 (2).jpg

Susie

Post by Susie »

Well done, Neil. I was there earlier in the week and only saw the one. Good to know numbers are building nicely!

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Mill Hill Hots Up

Due to the plague of ear, nose and throat ailments doing the rounds in our house, I haven't been out and about as much as usual. However, this afternoon (3rd April) I spent a couple of hours on the slopes of Mill Hill at Shoreham. I failed to find the early Dingy Skipper that I almost expected, but was more than satisfied with the numbers of fresh Grizzled Skipper on show. Of the 26 I counted only one was a female, suggesting that the species is likely to have a good season. A handful of Peacocks and single Comma and Small White were the only other butterflies seen.
UKB Grizzled Mill Hill 3.4.12.jpg
UKB Grizzled (2) Mill Hill 3.4.12_edited-1.jpg

NickMorgan

Post by NickMorgan »

Beautiful pictures. :D

Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

The underside shot is totally lush! :mrgreen:

Have a goodun

Wurzel

Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks guys :D . Although I've never lost sleep over the issue it does occasionally niggle me that my lack of understanding regarding resizing and appropriate sharpening for web display means that nothing I ever post looks anywhere near as sharp as it does on my computer :( .

The only time I've had success is when I've posted images to the South Downs National Park Forum website, but even here the images look very soft when clicked on individually. However, if you follow this link http://southdownsforum.ning.com/photo/a ... hck2o87sj8 to my albums, then click on 'Butterflies of the South Downs National Park', then click on the 'View Slideshow' icon, they actually look like they should do! Answers 'why' on a postcard please.

Neil

Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Cracking Grizzlies, Neil!

I've had a look at the slideshow, some stunning photos there. I could watch that all day. What a wonderful array of species Sussex has.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with your photos! The ones posted on UKB always look mighty fine to me.

Best wishes,

Lee

To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Neil Hulme

Post by Neil Hulme »

Thanks Lee ... the cheque's in the post :wink: . Hope to catch up with you once the Dukes and PBFs are flying.

Best Wishes, Neil

essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

26 Grizzled Skippers on the 3rd of April is extraordinary! I hope there are still some left when i visit in a couple of weeks!
Cheers.

Return to “Personal Diaries”