March 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
edgueinart

Re: March 2012

Post by edgueinart »

This morning at Mill Hill 5 peacocks,1 s.wood and 1 large White. (J.Pinho)
millerd

Post by millerd »

I spent four hours spanning lunchtime around my local area today, in glorious sunshine and warmth. I eventually lost count of the butterflies, but Peacocks, Commas and Brimstones were around in double figures. Peacocks were particularly numerous, both defending territories and cruising the paths. Two of the Commas exhibited different behaviour, fluttering low in dappled shade in and amongst new nettle growth - I assume these were females looking to lay eggs.

In the middle of the roundabout at J14 of the M25, there is a wooded area, with a break cut through along the path of a gas main. This gap and the woodland edges are home to a variety of species, and today I saw my first Orange Tip of the year here, along with Green-veined Whites and many of the Brimstones. Every white butterfly I checked today was a GVW - but Small Whites are more difficult to approach, so some of the unconfirmed ones may have been Small.

Finally, high up in the ivy around a fallen willow, I spotted a male Holly Blue - another first for the year. Six species for a March day, possibly seven. Not bad. No Small Tortoiseshells though, and no Speckled Woods yet either.

I make no apology for three shots of the same Orange Tip - it is such a splendid insect.

Dave
Attachments
OT3 resized.JPG
OT1 resized.JPG
OT2 resized.JPG
Female GVW
Female GVW
Male GVW
Male GVW
badgerbob

Post by badgerbob »

Managed to get out for a while today where I saw my first Orange-tip and Speckled Wood of the year. Small Tortoiseshells were also putting in a good display with a male holding territory in the corner of a field. All within 5 minutes walk from home.
Attachments
Male Orange-tip, Seaford
Male Orange-tip, Seaford
male Small Tortoiseshell, Seaford
male Small Tortoiseshell, Seaford
speckled wood, Seaford
speckled wood, Seaford
millerd

Post by millerd »

Later today, I visited Runnymede (well, the playground bit for the benefit of my small son). Though 1630, it was still about 22 degrees, and several Brimstones flew through, plus two Commas, a Peacock, a Holly Blue and an Orange Tip. The Orange Tip was tiny and settled briefly on a daisy - where it became unexpectedly camoflaged. Hardly bigger than the daisy, it was not much more than a centimetre in size. The Brimstones then began to settle and chose to nectar on a flowering currant - a nice colour contrast.

Dave
Attachments
Diminutive Orange Tip
Diminutive Orange Tip
Nectaring Brimstone
Nectaring Brimstone
Susie

Post by Susie »

I walked out of the office this evening and had an orange tip fly straight past me. A couple of days ago I was hunting them, now they're finding me! :-D
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

Down from the uplands today for a day on the coast, Newport Wetlands (Gwent Levels) to be precise. I was expecting far more than was actually realised with only Small Tortoiseshell in any numbers, circa 30 seen. My first Green-veined White of the year and a single Peacock seen, the day was rescued to some extent with a Holly Blue sighting just before I left for home.

Gobsmacked to see Hawthorn in full bloom, I've never seen it this early anywhere before, another sign of the climatic times :shock:

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

Susie wrote: now they're finding me!
Keep not looking and a Large Tortoiseshell might turn up, like the fortunate Marmari!

Mike
dilettante

Post by dilettante »

That's a great brimstone shot, Dave (millerd).
Wurzel
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Wurzel »

Two Small Whites at work along with a Peacock and a Brimstone on the way home. Peacock in the back garden and out the front in a neighbours garden, but still no Orange -tips?

Have a goodun

Wurzel
essexbuzzard

Post by essexbuzzard »

Several firsts on Tuesaday,whilst exploring the golden triangle(wild daffodils) in Gloucestershire. My firsts were several small torts, 2 orange tips,and one each holly blue and speckled wood. Also several peacocks,commas and brimstones seen, plus a small white. Not quite so impressive as the Kipper,but still probably my best ever March day. 8 species. :D
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

I think the Irish Small Torts are visually identical to the mainland forms – well being migrants, they should be the same. This one from near Kells, co Meath, nectaring on what I am told is Viburnum – I am not sure that is correct.

Still no Brimstones or Whites. Surely any day now?

Jack
Attachments
12-03-28-855-Smal-Tort.jpg
Charles Nicol

Post by Charles Nicol »

Saw first Orange Tip of the year this morning :P :P

At Stirtloe Cambridgeshire.... have been along there every morning this week in anticipation

Charles

8) 8)
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

How lovely it is (whilst chained to my desk at work) to be able to pop on to this forumn during my lunch break and see the beautiful pictures and read the interesting comments. I really hope I can get to see an orange tip soon :)
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

Jack Harrison wrote:I think the Irish Small Torts are visually identical to the mainland forms – well being migrants, they should be the same. This one from near Kells, co Meath, nectaring on what I am told is Viburnum – I am not sure that is correct.Jack
Hi Jack,

That looks like Viburnum bodnantense, a beautifully scented garden shrub.

Vince
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

That looks like Viburnum bodnantense, a beautifully scented garden shrub.
I agree, there is a few around here and quite nice smell.

Saw a peacock butterfly fly over my head today and another I think was a small tortoiseshell at BallyMaCormack Point, a National Trust coastal site at Groomsport, Co Down, NI. Got a chance to go there when coming home, quite a strong wind and big waves there so not much butterflies about.
I think the Irish Small Torts are visually identical to the mainland forms – well being migrants, they should be the same.
I have not seen any difference to the ones here and British ones, wingspan is same too 45-62mm, one of the most commonest reported butterflies in Ireland at the moment. So far: GV White, Large & Small White, Green Hairstreak, Orange-Tip, Small Tortoiseshell, Red Admiral, peacock, Holly Blue and Speckled Woods have been seen in NI, but only seen 5 of those. Going hunting for green hairstreaks at weekend hopefully, see if those and Orange-Tips are about.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro
P.J.Underwood

Post by P.J.Underwood »

Three days ago in Botany Bay,just a female Brimstone.Today I saw a Brimstone,Peacock,Red Admiral,Orange tip,and many of these brown and orange moths on the wing but also settling.Can anyone tell me what they are?
P.J.U.
Attachments
A moth.JPG
Peacock..JPG
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

Your moth appears to be the rarer of the two Orange Underwings to judge by the slightly feathered antennae. So Light Orange Underwing Archiearis notha. I take it there is Aspen in those woods?

Misha
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

Yesterday, a gentleman who lives in Bournemouth and posts observations on iSpot, posted a photo of a Clouded Yellow, locality withheld, which I thought likely to be from the Bournemouth cliffs. This afternoon I walked the Boscombe and Southbourne cliffs and sure enough saw a few Clouded Yellows just west of the Bistro on the Beach. This is one of the regular breeding sites, and I have little doubt that these are locally bred butterflies. I am being vague about the numbers because it is frankly impossible to count patrolling males bombing around at speed.

Misha
millerd

Post by millerd »

Mikhail wrote:...saw a few Clouded Yellows just west of the Bistro on the Beach. This is one of the regular breeding sites, and I have little doubt that these are locally bred butterflies...
Misha
Goodness! With this and all the recent speculation about other species, will we soon be counting Clouded Yellow, Red Admiral and Large Tortoiseshell as UK residents instead of migrants?

Dave
Dave McCormick

Post by Dave McCormick »

millerd wrote:
Mikhail wrote:...saw a few Clouded Yellows just west of the Bistro on the Beach. This is one of the regular breeding sites, and I have little doubt that these are locally bred butterflies...
Misha
Goodness! With this and all the recent speculation about other species, will we soon be counting Clouded Yellow, Red Admiral and Large Tortoiseshell as UK residents instead of migrants?

Dave
I think there might have been clouded yellow cats reported a while ago in the south of Ireland (not sure where) so who knows, could be if this freaky weather keeps up.
Cheers all,
My Website: My new website: http://daveslepidoptera.com/ - Last Update: 11/10/2011
My Nature videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/DynamixWarePro

Return to “Sightings”