Winter survival of red admirals

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Re: Winter survival of red admirals

Post by Pete Eeles »

robpartridge wrote:Is there an official definition of 'resident' as far as butterflies are concerned?
We (led by Piers) took a stab at this a while back - a work in progress :) ... http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/glossary.php

I do find overwintering larvae in some years - normally in nettle patches that are sheltered and south-facing, during a mild winter, and when it has been a good year for this species.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

Thanks for the reference to the definitions of status. From those, it appears that the red admiral is still some way off gaining resident status in that for it to overwinter as larvae a number of favourable conditions have to be in place - something that seems unlikely to happen consistently with our climate at the moment. I see that you are in Berkshire and have overwintering beds of nettles in sheltered spots; I'll keep my eyes more open for this in future but I'm sure that I don't have those near me. Perhaps there is a climatic factor operating here, too - one that could limit the red admiral's ability to overwinter as a larva to the southern quarter of the country,

Rob
"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
Vince Massimo

Post by Vince Massimo »

Just to add my latest observations into the mix.

Today I found an egg-laying female and counted at least 14 eggs on a small nettle patch in Caterham, Surrey.
3 Red Admiral ova - Caterham, Surrey 20-March-2012
3 Red Admiral ova - Caterham, Surrey 20-March-2012
This particular individual was very worn and tattered which indicated (to me) that she had over-wintered rather than freshly hatched.

Vince
Susie

Post by Susie »

I wonder how the current snap of cold and snowy weather will affect the butterflies that have recently emerged. Will it wipe out a generation?

Susie (from a currently beautiful sunny West Sussex)
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Susie wrote:I wonder how the current snap of cold and snowy weather will affect the butterflies that have recently emerged. Will it wipe out a generation?

Susie (from a currently beautiful sunny West Sussex)
Very good question Susie. :?:

dms :

Return to “General”