Overseas March Sightings 2012

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
CFB

Overseas March Sightings 2012

Post by CFB »

It was nice and sunny today near Valbonne in the Alpes-Maritimes, and despite quite a strong wind, I saw several different butterflies. I was able to photograph a very patient Small Copper:
IMG_0276.JPG
and a somewhat less patient Common Blue:
IMG_0249.JPG
Other species seen were a male Orange Tip, two Large Tortoiseshells, some Brimstones, and a couple of Clouded Yellows. So it looks as though the butterfly season has well and truly begun here. :D
--
Colin
essexbuzzard

Re: Overseas March Sightings 2012

Post by essexbuzzard »

Cheers Colin! It's great to hear from our overseas friends,even if you run the risk of making a few of us in good old Blighty a little jealous at times!
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

West of Biot, where the D4 starts to bend, there is a track on the left (a gate at the start) where I saw an interesting number of species a few years ago, including Camberwell Beauty.

Also on the N7 right at the border of A-M and Var, there is a track on the south side (you can park on the north side) where I have seen Camberwell Beauties (two or three) plus Large Tortoiseshell and several Southern Festoons in early April. The Festoons may be out around the end of March.
CFB

Post by CFB »

Roger Gibbons wrote:West of Biot, where the D4 starts to bend...
IMG_0287.JPG
Roger, is this the start of the track in question?
--
Colin
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

That's it. I think you can park there without blocking the track. Looks a little more overgrown than when I was last there, and may be no longer the type of ride that Camberwell Beauties patrol.

If you are interested (I don't know how far afield you travel from Valbonne) I can suggest a superb June/July location north of Vence (in confidence).

Roger
CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning in Valbonne it was sunny with only a little wind, so I went out in shorts and T-shirt for the first time this year. And for the first time this year I saw the following butterflies, for which I would appreciate confirmation of my identifications.

A Western Dappled White, which didn't seem to appreciate being photographed:
IMG_0335.JPG
IMG_0339.JPG
A Green Hairstreak, which kept flying away, but which kept coming back to the same place:
IMG_0346.JPG
A Mallow Skipper, which I couldn't get close to:
IMG_0361.JPG
A Dingy Skipper, which I thought was the Mallow Skipper until I got home and looked at the photos:
IMG_0368.JPG
--
Colin
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

Hi Colin,

Certainly a Green Hairstreak and a Dingy Skipper, pretty sure you're right on the other two as well.

Best wishes,

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
CFB

Post by CFB »

Thanks Lee, for confirming my identifications.

Today I was able to photograph the upper-side of a Camberwell Beauty for the first time :D It wasn't easy to cater for the bright white marginal borders next to the purple-black ground colour. I shall try do do better the next time.
IMG_0403.JPG
Then I photographed the underside of a Queen of Spain Fritillary for the first time:
IMG_0421.JPG
Also a Holly Blue:
IMG_0377.JPG
and a Speckled Wood:
IMG_0384.JPG
Seen but not photographed: Peacock, Large Tortoiseshell, Brimstone, Cleopatra, Clouded Yellow, Red Admiral, Orange Tip.
--
Colin
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I think that's a lovely Camberwell beauty - you've got the balance just right in my opinion.

I also agree with your identifications. I wondered about the possibility of Portuguese dappled white for a while, because I couldn't quite make out the line of the hindwing and it looked rather round - but I think I was misreading the picture. In France the hindwings of Portuguese dappled whites can be quite well marked, like western dappled whites.

Good to see your season accelerating too! What a March!

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Roger Gibbons

Post by Roger Gibbons »

I also wondered whether the Dappled White could be Portuguese as the hindwing costa looked rather smooth but on close inspection the bend is visible right close to the costa. However, I have shot of a Dappled White which has a very smooth costa, so this key is not 100% reliable.
http://www.butterfliesoffrance.com/html ... ar_17Apr07
The forewing cell mark just has to be Dappled, doesn’t it?

Also Portuguese does not occur in the Alpes-Maritimes according to the PACA Atlas.

That’s a lovely Camberwell Beauty, almost perfect and you would not know it was a hibernator but for the whitening of the margins. Here is one I saw last year and you would have look to hard just to determine what it was.
Nymphalis antiopa_24640.JPG
CFB

Post by CFB »

New sightings today were a male Provence Orange-tip, (Southern ?) Small White, Swallowtale and Scarce Swallowtale, this last being in the garden. I only managed to photograph the White. :(
IMG_0448.JPG
--
Colin
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

That certainly looks like a southern small white.

Male Provence orange tips often rode on large circuits, stopping at the same flowers each time round. If you have the patience, you can watch a circuit or two then wait by the best flowers for a picture.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
legless2007

Post by legless2007 »

possibly not the most exciting sighting but my Dad saw a Scarce Swallowtail this week in Turkey. He saw it and actually went to my Turkish butterfly books and ID'd it.

I'm so proud, I mean you try and encourage them, without pushing them, let them find their own way.... :lol:
CFB

Post by CFB »

This morning I encountered a Small Copper, form caeruleopunctata, with what seem to be bigger than usual blue spots:
IMG_0503.JPG
A pity about the shadow of a blade of grass across the wing. :(

Apart from that, there were many Brimstones, Cleopatras, Orange Tips and Speckled Woods, and a Red Admiral.
--
Colin

Return to “Overseas”