I love/hate my camera

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
A_T

I love/hate my camera

Post by A_T »

I enjoy taking pictures of photographs of the butterflies I see - a lot of it is down to "capturing the moment" (I find I am nearly always happy when I see a butterfly) so that it can be relived later. However sometimes I think it would be nice just to enjoy them and not feel almost obliged to take a photograph. In short I have conflicting feelings about my camera :D

I think this year I might deliberately leave my camera at home on occasion - and just go to look at these wonderful creatures. Then of course I will see something special and regret not having my camera with me :D
David M

Re: I love/hate my camera

Post by David M »

It's nice to do both - watch the butterflies whilst having a camera handy in case you see something noteworthy.
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

I completely agree with you, A_T. It would be tempting fate, though, to leave it at home, so how about just putting it down occasionally? I find that is sufficient to deactivate the photo-jerk reflex that can so easily drive one to ruining the moment instead of enjoying it.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Butterfly Gardener

Post by Butterfly Gardener »

Its difficult to get the balance right.
David M

Post by David M »

The worry is that you might witness something extraordinary (like Red Admirals mating) and not be able to record it. Imagine too if you were lucky enough to see a Large Tortoiseshell basking on a tree trunk and you were without your camera? :x
Susie

Post by Susie »

Sometimes I just put the camera down and enjoy what I see. I would always take one with me though, even if it is just my phone, for a record shot.
ChrisC

Post by ChrisC »

having only had a decent camera for a year i still tend to watch first. i missed a male blackcap on the suet block this morning :lol:
Lee Hurrell
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Lee Hurrell »

I've started doing what David, Guy and Susie advocate over the last year. It's lovely to watch behaviour sometimes in a natural environment.

However, I wouldn't leave home without one...

Cheers

Lee
To butterfly meadows, chalk downlands and leafy glades; to summers eternal.
Butterfly Gardener

Never ever go out without a camera of some sort. Today I was walking the dog along a disused road and stumbled across a pair of Yellowhammers sitting in the hedgerow about 3 metres ahead of me................no camera!!!!! :oops:
Butterfly Gardener

Not to mention the 12 Buzzards that were flying above the fields!

Return to “General”