Aish Tor

Discussion forum for places to see butterflies.
Hoggers

Aish Tor

Post by Hoggers »

I'm after a bit of advice, guys : last year I saw my High Browns at Heddon's Mouth, Arnside and Whitbarrow; this year I'd like to try other sites. Aish Tor has been mentioned as a good site but I've never been there. Any advice on visiting this site and whether it's good for High Browns? Are there any good sites nearby when I'm down there that you'd recommend? As always, thanks in advance for any help!
David M

Re: Aish Tor

Post by David M »

Can't speak for Aish Tor, but we've plenty of High Browns in the Alun Valley, nr Bridgend in south Wales (in fact, I'm going there on Sunday for a bit of clearance work). I can't think of anywhere else outside Morecambe Bay/SW England area where you'd still be guaranteed to see this species.
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Hoggers wrote:thanks in advance for any help!
It certainly is in advance! Anyway, the area around Aish Tor is lovely, and (at least the last time I was there) excellent fritillary country. The Dart Valley is extensive with many tucked away places - it's all about exploring and you'll come across some great spots. You obviously have experience of this butterfly's habitat in various British locations and so don't be put off by the difference in its choices between Dartmoor and Morecambe - on Dartmoor it is found in areas with much more (and higher) bracken growth and less grassland - that is if my experience is to go by!

You might like Hembury too which is nearby.
Here's to looking forward to the Summer!

Alex
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

This begs a question...which British site has the most fritillary species?
David M

Post by David M »

Matsukaze wrote:This begs a question...which British site has the most fritillary species?
Well, the Alun Valley site has copious numbers of Small Pearl Bordered, Silver Washed, Dark Green & High Brown Fritillaries. I daresay the winner will be the place that can add Pearl Bordered (and, at a push, Marsh) to that list, as Heath and Glanville would be out of the equation.
m_galathea

Post by m_galathea »

Dunsford used to have all but Heath and Glanville although unfortunately I don't think that's the case now.

Looking at the Devon BC map (http://devon-butterflies.org.uk/Home.htm) for the High Brown Fritillary a huge decline on East Dartmoor can be seen over just the last couple of years. Very sad.
David M

Post by David M »

m_galathea wrote:Looking at the Devon BC map (http://devon-butterflies.org.uk/Home.htm) for the High Brown Fritillary a huge decline on East Dartmoor can be seen over just the last couple of years.
That's worrying, especially since numbers are increasing at the south Wales site. If only Iain Liddell Grainger were reading this. :(
Matsukaze

Post by Matsukaze »

Could that just reflect lack of observers? The latest recording period on those maps is only the last two years.
AndyR

Post by AndyR »

I saw my first HBs at Aish Tor last year on 1st of June. Very active nearly impossible to chase and photograph! It's also great for green hairstreaks and graylings later on. As for dunsford the HBs have definitely gone. It's a very well visited site.

Return to “Sites”