March 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
Hugh Middleton

Re: March 2012

Post by Hugh Middleton »

Oh what a glorious day. An early afternoon stroll (in shorts :D ) through the Lincolnshire Limewoods produced my first butterflies of the year - three Brimstone and a Peacock.
Home to see England beat France and now the moth traps on............. oh joy.

Hugh
IAC

Post by IAC »

Hi all,
Up here in South East Scotland a lovely sunny day saw 3 Comma, 2 Small Tortoiseshell and a Peacock along the banks of the River Whiteadder south of Chirnside. If it stays sunny there will be good numbers about.

Iain.
Attachments
Peacock found a friend today by the Whiteadder in Berwickshire, Scottish Borders.
Peacock found a friend today by the Whiteadder in Berwickshire, Scottish Borders.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

From reading the previous posts, I think many of us were shaking off the 'winter blues' today!

After seeing a couple of Brimstones in my garden late morning, I went to my local BBOWT reserve at Dry Sandford Pit, Cothill, Oxon, to see what was on the wing in the sun trap below the old quarry face. To my surprise, there were no Brimstones but this was made up for by several Commas and a Peacock.

The visit also gave me an opportunity to try out the close-focus capability of my Nikon 300f/4 lens, which I had bought mainly for bird-in-flight photography. In fact, it proved very capable as a close-up lens and its long working distance proved to be a considerable advantage on this occasion, as early Spring butterflies always seem to be extremely flighty and do not allow a close approach.

The Peacock was very accommodating and showed both upper and underside views:
Dry Sandford Pit, Cothill, Oxon - 11 March 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 300f4 lens+1.4X TC - 1/750s@f/8 ISO400
Dry Sandford Pit, Cothill, Oxon - 11 March 2012
Nikon D300s with 300f4 lens+1.4X TC - 1/750s@f/8 ISO400
Dry Sandford Pit, Cothill, Oxon - 11 March 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 300f4 lens+1.4X TC - 1/250s@f/8 ISO400
Nikon D300s with 300f4 lens+1.4X TC - 1/250s@f/8 ISO400
There were several Commas, which occasionally engaged in high airborne jousts. I cropped one of my photos to show the reduced 'brush foot', which gives the Nymphalidae their name:
Dry Sandford Pit, Cothill, Oxon - 11 March 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 300f4 lens+1.4X TC - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Nikon D300s with 300f4 lens+1.4X TC - 1/350s@f/9.5 ISO400
Dry Sandford Pit, Cothill, Oxon - 11 March 2012<br />Nikon D300s with 300f4 lens+1.4X TC - 1/350s@f/11 ISO400 (enlarged)
Nikon D300s with 300f4 lens+1.4X TC - 1/350s@f/11 ISO400 (enlarged)
Mike
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Vincent has been busy with his paintbrush today recording the wildlife in NW Norfolk (courtesy Dynamic Auto Painter as recommended by — I think it was — Mike Oxon.)
What silly fun! Jack
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

A gorgeous day today and the first time I have been out for the sole purpose of butterfly watching, albeit for an hour or so early afternoon round local footpaths near my home. I was rewarded with 5 sightings. A Comma glided toward me as I set off not 2 minutes from home. Then at the farthest extent of my walk from Hedge End to Botley two butterflies spiralled upward into the sky in a duel too distant to get a positive id. I did a second pass of this spot a little later and found another Comma basking on a fence post, so I think quite likely that the duelling pair were Commas, maybe even the same individual. I did get a photo of this last individual but too poor to post here :(

The first sighting of the day was not at home and was actually too brief and short to get a positive id. A butterfly flitted across the front of my car as I pulled away from the inlaws down in Woodlands near Ashhurst in the New Forest. It was the wrong colour to be a Brimstone, too small to be Peacock or Red Admiral and the flight was all wrong to be a Comma or Small Tortoiseshell. If it were a month or so later I would say most likely a Speckled Wood but surely it is too early. Of course I will never know for sure but has anyone else seen Speckled Wood this early :?:
David M

Post by David M »

Looks like just about everyone's seen Commas today!
John W

Post by John W »

David M wrote:Looks like just about everyone's seen Commas today!
Yes I saw my first butterfly of the year today (Sunday), a Comma, at the BC reserve at Park Corner Heath. It's good to be back!
Mikhail

Post by Mikhail »

The first sighting of the day was not at home and was actually too brief and short to get a positive id. A butterfly flitted across the front of my car as I pulled away from the inlaws down in Woodlands near Ashhurst in the New Forest. It was the wrong colour to be a Brimstone, too small to be Peacock or Red Admiral and the flight was all wrong to be a Comma or Small Tortoiseshell. If it were a month or so later I would say most likely a Speckled Wood but surely it is too early. Of course I will never know for sure but has anyone else seen Speckled Wood this early :?:
I suspect it was a day-flying moth, the Orange Underwing Archiearis parthenias, often mistaken for a butterfly at this time of year.
Willrow

Post by Willrow »

First sighting of the year, at an elevation of approximately 1700 feet ASL in the Black Mountains, South Wales, a pair of Small Tortoiseshell danced skywards in the beautiful mid-day sunshine. By coincidence at around the same time 35 miles away to the west my wife also saw her first butterflies of the year a pair of...yep, you guessed it...Small Tortoiseshell, I believe 'bragging rights' should officially go to her on this occasion as she was about ten minutes ahead of me...but I ain't gonna tell her :mrgreen: :twisted:

Bill :D
Why not visit my website at http://www.dragonfly-days.co.uk
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Had a male Brimstone swoop past my head and away up the path this afternoon, my first of the year. Despite the fact that I was fully expecting to see one anyway, given the glorious sunny conditions, it still managed to make me gasp as it swept by. Like a silent stealth ninja (but much more yellow!!!)

You just gotta love this crazy mad passion we share!! :D :D

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Still seen nowt. Gutted. I'm only posting this so you can feel even more smug.
Last edited by Susie on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neil Freeman

Post by Neil Freeman »

Hi Susie,

I was feeling just like that last week reading about other peoples sightings.... until Sunday when I had my own firsts of the year. I am sure you will soon see something.

Neil F.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Bless you, Neil, I'm sure your right. My post was very light hearted. :-)
David M

Post by David M »

Susie, by Thursday it could be 18c in your part of the world so you can pretty much guarantee a sighting then.
NickB

Post by NickB »

My second species of 2012 - a Comma basking in the weak sun...
Comma_1_low_MRC_14th_March_2012.jpg
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Butterfly Gardener

Post by Butterfly Gardener »

I had my first sighting of the year on feb 24th but have seen nothing since. I'm getting a bit agitated :lol: I do live a bit further North than some of you though.
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Managed 3 male Brimstones and 2 Commas on Epsom Common today. Kinda expected to see more, it was really quite warm in sheltered spots. Still no sign of any Peacocks though, which seems a bit odd...

Also 7 Adders, 2 Grass Snakes, 3 Common Lizards, 1 Red-eared Terrapin, 2 Smooth Newts, noisily mating Common Toads and the first few hundred hatched Common Frog tadpoles. All in all a Herptastic Day!!! :D

Still having LOTS of problems with identifying any bee that isn't a Buff-tailed or Honey though :(

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
David M

Post by David M »

Surprised there wasn't a glut of butterfly activity today. The temperature reached 19C not too far away from where you were, Seth.
NickB

Post by NickB »

Only one fly-by on the edge of Epping Forest today with my son and sister - a Peacock, I think.
Looking forward to seeing my first Holly Blue of the year - by past performance - only 2 weeks and 4 days to go...... :D
N
You just gotta love this crazy mad passion we share!! :D :D
Quite right Seth; we're all as sane as the next man......
"Conservation starts in small places, close to home..."
Vince Massimo
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Vince Massimo »

David M wrote:Surprised there wasn't a glut of butterfly activity today. The temperature reached 19C...............
Yes strange indeed, particularly Mark Colvin's lack of sightings in Oaken Wood. I have been seeing good numbers at all of my local sites every time the temperature exceeded 15 degrees. On 15th March I visited Hutchinson's Bank, Addington, Surrey, an area of chalk grassland managed by the London Wildlife Trust. With the temperature estimated at 18 degrees I saw 14 Brimstones (all male), 14 Commas, 12 Small Tortoiseshells and 2 Peacocks between 1pm and 3.30pm. Also my first Bee-fly of the year. Still no Red Admirals though.............
Small Tortoiseshell - Addington, Surrey 15-March-2012
Small Tortoiseshell - Addington, Surrey 15-March-2012
Comma - Addington, Surrey 15-March-2012
Comma - Addington, Surrey 15-March-2012
The immanent change in the weather will now put things on hold for a while.

Vince

Return to “Sightings”