The best way to "watch" butterflies ?

Discussion forum for anything that doesn't fit elsewhere!
Lancastrian

The best way to "watch" butterflies ?

Post by Lancastrian »

First of all I would like to say "Hi" to everybody........this is my first post :)

I am a birder of many years. Last year I really became interested in butterflies, invariably whilst out birding, and I managed to watch some common species well with binoculars (8x42). What I really want to know is; do any/many members on here simply "watch" through hand lenses ("jewelers" style) or hand-held magnifying glasses ("Sherlock Holmes" :lol: style) ? I would like to get close up to butterflies to try and see the really intricate details (and to learn about identification) and wondered if having a lens is the best way (as opposed to simply photographing them and studying the images later on the computer)...what are your thoughts/practices please ?

Thanks
David M

Re: The best way to "watch" butterflies ?

Post by David M »

The trouble with that is there are too many species easily spooked to allow you to get sufficiently close.

You could always try early mornings before the butterflies were warm enough to be too active (even works for skittish Fritillaries).

Failing that, you'll probably be restricted to the small number of species that routinely remain unconcerned by close human approach (e.g. Silver Studded Blue, White Letter Hairstreak, Small Copper, etc).
Trev Sawyer
Stock Contributor
Stock Contributor

Post by Trev Sawyer »

We've talked about these quite a bit over the past couple of seasons on various forum threads, but the Pentax Papilio binoculars would be perfect for what you are trying to do. They focus right down to 0.5 metres and at that range every hair and scale can be seen! I can't recommend them highly enough and just about everyone who has borrowed mine has gone out and bought a pair themselves. Test a pair out in the shops... sit down, focus on your knees and I defy you not to be impressed. Search for good prices online though as prices can vary quite a bit.
See: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5537&p=55494&hilit ... lio#p55494

Trev
Last edited by Trev Sawyer on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete Eeles
Administrator & Stock Contributor
Administrator & Stock Contributor

Post by Pete Eeles »

Hi - and welcome.

Although they're small, you don't need a hand lens to identify butterflies (and I don't know anyone who does). Most species can be seen quite easily without any equipment whatsoever. However, a pair of good binoculars can help with some species (especially those that dart around trees) and a camera, of course, will help with any subsequent identification you might want to do.

If your aim is to see really intricate detail, then I'd suggest either a good pair of bins (e.g. Pentax papilio, which are "focused" :) on closeup work) or a camera with a dedicated macro capability.

Cheers,

- Pete
Life Cycles of British & Irish Butterflies: http://www.butterflylifecycles.com
British & Irish Butterflies Rarities: http://www.butterflyrarities.com
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Obviously, there is great fascination in the detail, but you will miss out if you don't also spend time taking in the big picture. For this, my aids are a flagon of ale and a portable seat or handy rocky perch. Once you are confident with identification, the behaviour of many species and the interactions between and within species are truly mesmerising to watch and these can only be fully appreciated with the wide-angle perspective of the naked eye. A meadow that seems to be buzzing randomly with butterflies will transform into a territorial conflict zone, with some males aggressively defending carefully chosen vantage points, other males drifting around putting up the settled males and rising in species-specific patterns of rivalry, females criss-crossing the whole area looking for perfect egg-laying sites while being mercilessly hounded by opportunistic males &c. &c. Some species 'rode', so the same individuals will appear regularly as they trek around their circuit (some whites and orange tips do this), while others will occupy the same tiny corner for a whole morning. Behaviour may change during the day and will often depend on the aspect of the site. The temptation to get in close or always to go for that perfect photograph needs to be resisted sometimes to enjoy the drama at this larger scale.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

Many thanks gentlemen for your swift replies and advice. Like I said, I only started noticing butterflies last year, so I am what can only be regarded as a rank beginner :? . Hence I didn`t know about how close certain species will let you get near them before flushing..Thanks Dave M :)

Trev, I had trawled through the relevent threads regarding close-focussing bins; my Nikon HGLs will only focus down to 3m - so that perhaps is where I need to think about getting a second pair for "butterflying", though I cannot really walk around with two sets of bins round me neck ! :D

Pete, I really didn`t know if anyone did use hand-magnifyers in the field, hence my original question. Perhaps it was rather naive of me :roll: :)

Padfield, you describe pure heaven to me ! I hope you mean Real ale though :lol:

Once again, thanks for helping guys. I am really looking forward to this coming summer.. :wink:
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

You need to be aware that Padfield lives in a land of flowery Alpine meadows, swarming with butterflies that we can only dream of seeing here in UK! I believe he overcomes the local difficulty regarding Real ale by brewing his own.

In UK, the reality is one of chasing a lone Dark Green Fritillary across a wind-swept hillside, searching for Mountain Ringlets hiding deep in the mat grass on Lakeland Fells, or 'willing' a Hairstreak to descend just for one moment from its tree-top fastness!

On the other hand, there can be marvelous moments on the odd day when the sun shines!

You Nikon bins should be fine for tree-living species and for initial ID at a distance. After that, a lot depends on your eyesight. My near-vision is deteriorating rapidly, so Papilios have been life-changing for me.

Mike
Lancastrian

Post by Lancastrian »

Thanks Mike. As I am approaching my mid-forties my near-vision ain`t what it used to be either :) . I will definitely be ordering some Papilios - carrying them holster-style on my belt will allow me to still wear my Nikons around my neck :) .

I really appreciate all your kind advice everybody. Cheers.
Paul Wetton

Post by Paul Wetton »

I'll add my two penneth worth.

I use A 5 year old pair of Delta roof prism bins which won't focus down to my knees but almost my feet. If I was 2 or 3 inches higher I reckon they would. These are 10 x 42 bins and hence excellent for bird watching and other distance wildlife plus will allow me to get close enough to butterflies to ID them but maybe not see every scale. These probably came in at around £300 when purchased.

If you are restricted to a single pair of bins I would do as suggested earlier in the thread and go have a go with some in the shops. Possibilities will depend on your budget as well.

Good luck with the search.
Cheers Paul

Post by David M »

Lancastrian wrote:
Pete, I really didn`t know if anyone did use hand-magnifyers in the field, hence my original question. Perhaps it was rather naive of me :roll: :)
Oddly enough, when I visited the Wye Valley Butterfly Zoo in January a hand-magnifier was provided as a matter of routine. I actually found it quite useful - though butterflies in glass houses are always more tolerant of close approaches than those in the wild are.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

Butterflies are FAR easier to identify than birds— there are fewer than 60 species of butterfly in Britain.

I am a very poor birder but not too bad with butterflies. Don’t fall into the trap that poor birders fall into: it’s not always an Eagle (probably a Common Buzzard). So assume that your unidentified butterfly is common before thinking rarities. Butterfly rarities — unlike birds — seldom just crop up in unexpected places (but it CAN happen). You need to go to specific localities. You would never, for example come across a Large Blue in Lancashire. You might come across a blue butterfly that is large and get excited but it is most likely a Common Blue.

I have to say do really make the most of your beginner stage in butterfly watching. Everything is so new. We who have been into butterflies for a long time (in my case 65+ years!) don’t get quite the same thrill — we’ve probably seen it all before. But we still love it.

I happen to do most of my butterfly watching without any optical aids at all, but I am lucky in that I can readily identify the species (I certainly should be able to after 65 years!)

Jack
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

I am also new to butterflies and identifying them. I started about July last year. I picked up a free poster from a garden centre and put it up on the kitchen wall. I often take a couple of minutes to look at it. But it has been really helpful in learning them.

It was a very dull and cold august bank holiday last year when I set off determined and optimistic with my lovely husband by my side. I hoped even with the weather being as it was that I may see some butterflies.

We spent a good hour walking slowly round this field and nearing the point of exit feeling vey disheartened that we had seen no butterflies; I suddenly spotted a solitary butterfly (glowing a beautiful colour) At this point it was all I could do to control my excitement and start to photograph with my first new DSLR camera to concentrate on identification. My husband got out our pocket book of butterflies and correctly identified the Small Copper. We used this web site to confirm our identification when we got home. This solitary small butterfly made our day.The picture I attached is not brilliant but I thought it would be nice to add it. I have no idea if it is a male or female that is a challenge for the future. The two books were given for my birthday that were recommended on this site are giving me many hours of joy as well as very useful.

Having only really known the Peacock, White (that eats my cabbages), Tortoiseshell and Red Admiral it was wonderful last year to discover the Speckled Wood, Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Small Copper & the Silver Studded Blue (oops i mean common blue). I am so looking forward this years butterflies and so many still to discover for the first time.

DMS. :)
Attachments
Aug BH small copper.jpg
Last edited by Debbie on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

DMS
& the Silver Studded Blue
Silver Studded Blue is quite localised requiring very specific habitats (usually heathland) and that would have been a good find. Might it have been a Common Blue? This isn't meant to be a criticism - we are here to help.

Where did you see that blue?

Jack
David M

Post by David M »

I'm surprised you've not mentioned Comma - they're very distinctive and often call into gardens for a feed.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Help is always appreciated. The place the picture was taken is prees Heath. (first time out with camera - sorry about the picture).

DMS
Attachments
IMG_0489 - Copy.JPG
Nick Broomer

Post by Nick Broomer »

Hi DMS,

They are Common Blues, the male on the left, the female on the right on Birds-Foot -Trefoil
the caterpillars food plant.

All the best,

Nick.
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

Thank you, will adjust my records. :)

Hope I get to see the silver studded blue when i visit this year.

DMS
David M

Post by David M »

At Prees Heath Silver Studded Blues outnumber Common Blues by 10 or more to 1.
MikeOxon

Post by MikeOxon »

David M wrote:At Prees Heath Silver Studded Blues outnumber Common Blues by 10 or more to 1.
.........providing you are there at the right time! I missed seeing S-s-Blues in 2010 at Silchester Common because my visit on 21st July was too late. There were plenty there, however, on 11th June 2011. I suspect that the season is now rather earlier than indicated on the species information pages of this website. Common Blues tend to be on the wing both earlier and later than S-s-Blues.

Mike
Debbie

Post by Debbie »

My picture was taken at the end of July and from the information I can gather the silver studded blues are emerging June :?:

DMS

Return to “General”