Outside the Souks and Kasbah.

Discussion forum for any overseas items (given that this is a "UK" butterflies forum!).
Reverdin

Outside the Souks and Kasbah.

Post by Reverdin »

Nothing was really expected of this trip to Marrakech 27th February to 3rd March. It was intended to be a short sunny winter break and butterflies were not really in mind when booked. Having said that, I never go anywhere without considering the possibility and the reality was better than expected. :D
The first day, there was nothing but occasional Small Whites, but the weather was fantastic, high 70’s dry heat. As the week progressed, the wide dusty and litter strewn boulevards provided some real gems, with the only disappointment being the lack of any Blue butterfly of note. :?
I insisted on an “excursion” to the Atlas mountains, which was quite a mistake. A couple of tantalizing glimpses of Greenish Black Tip, a fresh male Holly Blue and a Brimstone provided no photos, but I did manage a poor shot of a very active Green Hairstreak, (not avis as I initially hoped). :(
Green Hairstreak
Green Hairstreak
The following three days must have seen emergences, as the same dusty, weedy city sidewalks yielded three first time species for me :D ... Moroccan Orange Tips, male and female, Greenish Black Tip, and finally Green Striped White, which I only managed to photograph badly :( , but at least I now have a record shot. :D Lycaenids were restricted to Geranium Bronze, of which there were several, and a couple of Small Coppers.
female Morrocan Orange Tip
female Morrocan Orange Tip
male
male
male
male
120302 Cacyreus marshalli  Marrakech 3172.jpg
Greenish Black Tip - charlonia
Greenish Black Tip - charlonia
charlonia
charlonia
Green Striped White
Green Striped White
A trip later in the year could be more fruitful, but one would need to drive.... and the local driver’s are maniacal :shock: ... horses, donkeys, bicycles, mopeds, cars, taxis, busses and lorries, with no rules, pure intimidatory push and shove :shock: :shock: :shock: ... and not a single accident seen! :lol: .... I wouldn’t fancy joining that melee in a hirecar! Yet, the Atlas mountains are just crying out to be explored in the way only a butterfly enthusiast can. :wink:
On a brighter note, I was almost arrested by a furiously whistling policeman for trying to photograph a Moroccan flag on top of the Palace entrance :oops: , and was attacked by a snake charmer for not wanting to pay him £30 for a photo! :roll: Possibly not the wisest type of local to annoy! :D
Last edited by Reverdin on Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
David M

Re: Outside the Souks and Kasbah.

Post by David M »

Lovely photos, Reverdin. Shame about the hazards experienced in getting them though. :(
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

You've done well, Rev!

It's striking how different belia is from euphenoides - that's a species I'd love to see. And as for charlonia - wonderful. I'm really glad you were rewarded with those.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

Thanks both - didn't really state properly that the locals generally couldn't have been more friendly, tolerant and helpful, and whilst it was snowing in the middle east, it was baking where we were...
Also forgot to say ( having just read Pete's comment on the March sightings thread)... I saw 3 Painted Ladies, not including the Henna'd type :D - all were fairly worn, and travelling, rather than hanging around. There was also one Clouded Yellow and a couple of Speckled Woods....

Great place to go!

Species list... ( 12 )

Small White
Greenish Black Tip - personal first
Moroccan Orange Tip - personal first
Geranium Bronze
Small Copper
Green Hairstreak
Holly Blue
Brimstone
Clouded Yellow
Painted Lady
Speckled Wood
Green Striped White
Reverdin

Post by Reverdin »

thought I'd put up a comparative Provencal vs Moroccan OTs, given Guy's observations above...
Provencal female
Provencal female
Moroccan female
Moroccan female
Provencal male
Provencal male
Moroccan male
Moroccan male
Provencal underside
Provencal underside
Moroccan underside
Moroccan underside