March 2012

Discussion forum for sightings.
Jack Harrison

March 2012

Post by Jack Harrison »

Swallowtail in West Norfolk :!:

Seen in King's Lynn INSIDE a shop window on 29th February. It will still be there tomorrow so I should be able to get my first tick of the month without too much effort........ :D

Jack
dilettante

Re: March 2012

Post by dilettante »

It seems to have its shoes on backwards :D
CFB

Post by CFB »

A day too late to be a February sighting, today I saw two Large Tortoiseshells together. This was the tatty one. It settled on a tree, then flew off into the distance, only to return to the same tree within inches of its previous position four minutes later. I didn't manage to get a photo of the un-tatty one.
IMG_0051.JPG
There were also three Brimstones, but they didn't settle anywhere. I suppose they were too busy looking for suitable flowers, but I don't think there were any.
--
Colin
Jack Harrison

Post by Jack Harrison »

1st March. Splendid weather in NW Norfolk but just one butterfly, a male Brimstone.

Jack
robpartridge

Post by robpartridge »

My apologies if this is the wrong forum but here are so many to choose from. I was stuck enviously indoors today thanks to work, and nothing flew past the window. But I notice a number of sightings of Red Admirals being reported already on the Cambs BC website. I had had a quiet bet with myself that few of these would survive such low temperatures as we experienced recently, and now I owe myself some money. I thought the latest theory was that this species does not really hibernate but has managed to overwinter thanks to generally milder winters. Whatever its strategy, it appears to now be able to survive the worst that our winters can throw at it. More expert opinions very welcome,

Rob
"...we'll live, and pray, and sing, and tell old tales, and laugh at gilded butterflies."
The Annoying Czech

Post by The Annoying Czech »

Large Tortoiseshell in March? Challenge accepted, although the Spring didn't arrive here yet.

No chance to annoy The Annoying Czech! :P
marmari

Post by marmari »

A beautiful afternoon today once the sea fog lifted.Foghorn at the Needles lighthouse going all morning.
Visit to Woodhouse Copse and feared no sightings,but eventually a Comma and then a Red Admiral both enjoying the sun.
LTs not in sight as yet.
Comma Woodhouse Copse Isle of Wight 0001.JPG
millerd

Post by millerd »

One Red Admiral seen this afternoon high up in a tree close to J14 of the M25...

This one had certainly seen better days, and lacked a large piece of the inner edge of one hindwing. The damage didn't appear to hinder its flight in any way, however.

Dave
Attachments
RA resized 010312.JPG
EricY

Post by EricY »

My first of the year today was a male Brimstone on Kelling Heath, would not allow a photo to be taken. Not much else the birdwise. Eric
Rosalyn

Post by Rosalyn »

I was visiting Leicestershire today, 1 male Brimstone, 1 Small Tortoiseshell
edgueinart

Post by edgueinart »

Red Admiral today in Brighton!
PS:everyone seen a Brimstone this year...but I didnt!where to look for brimstones?
Gibster

Post by Gibster »

Small Tortoiseshell on Epsom Common, Surrey today. Perched on a yellow crisp packet. Next best thing to a real flower I guess?

A plea to the IOW contingency - if the Large Tortoiseshell IS seen at the hallowed copse over the next couple of weeks I'd be VERY keen to join you on a hunt for the beastie!!! PM me if possible?

Many thanks,

Gibster.
Raising £10,000 for Butterfly Conservation by WALKING 1200 miles from Land's End to John O'Groats!!!
See http://www.justgiving.com/epicbutterflywalk or look up Epic Butterfly Walk on Facebook.
Paul Harfield

Post by Paul Harfield »

Gibster wrote:A plea to the IOW contingency - if the Large Tortoiseshell IS seen at the hallowed copse over the next couple of weeks I'd be VERY keen to join you on a hunt for the beastie!!! PM me if possible?
Could somebody tell me if this is a naturally occuring colony of Large Tortoiseshell or an introduction?
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

robpartridge wrote:My apologies if this is the wrong forum but here are so many to choose from. I was stuck enviously indoors today thanks to work, and nothing flew past the window. But I notice a number of sightings of Red Admirals being reported already on the Cambs BC website. I had had a quiet bet with myself that few of these would survive such low temperatures as we experienced recently, and now I owe myself some money. I thought the latest theory was that this species does not really hibernate but has managed to overwinter thanks to generally milder winters. Whatever its strategy, it appears to now be able to survive the worst that our winters can throw at it. More expert opinions very welcome,

Rob
This probably isn't the right forum for this question, so I've started a new thread in the 'General' forum for people to offer their ideas. It is here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=6084

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html
Reddog

Post by Reddog »

I saw my first butterflies of 2012 today. The first one was a Small Tortoiseshell seen at Oglet shore Speke near Liverpool the second was a Peacock in my back garden. I was well pleased and Iv got frogs in my pond.
Attachments
A Small Tortoiseshell feeding on red dead-nettle
A Small Tortoiseshell feeding on red dead-nettle
A Peacock in my back garden
A Peacock in my back garden
CFB

Post by CFB »

Only one butterfly this morning, a Wall Brown, which stood on a stone in the sun long enough for me to take a few photos.
IMG_0064.JPG
--
Colin
CFB

Post by CFB »

... and this afternoon I managed to get a photo of a Peacock Butterfly for the first time! There were also some Brimstones around, but I wasn't able to get any photos of them.
IMG_0077.JPG
--
Colin
marmari

Post by marmari »

Good question,jackz432r.!!
David M

Post by David M »

CFB wrote:There were also some Brimstones around, but I wasn't able to get any photos of them.
Are Cleopatras early spring butterflies in your area too?
Padfield
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Padfield »

Just a thought: Might it be better to limit this thread to UK sightings? It's wonderful to see pictures of how the season is progressing elsewhere in Europe/the world but perhaps this could be recorded in an 'overseas sightings' thread, or a personal diary. In a couple of months, I fear domestic sightings might get drowned out if many people put their international records here too.

As I say, that's just a thought. I thoroughly enjoy your pictures and comments, CFB, and others might disagree with me about the thread.

Guy
Guy's Butterflies: https://www.guypadfield.com
The Butterflies of Villars-Gryon : https://www.guypadfield.com/villarsgryonbook.html

Return to “Sightings”